Thread: king in craig

Default king in craig

Im going aout in a 18 ft skiff out of craig looking for kings in a few days. any info in where I should go. and what I should use. thanks.

Default Kings near Craig.

A few kings are being caught out in front of Craig right now. Graveyard Pt, in front of the 62 Pit, and off the Cliffs (Hwy) ca have kings. But, it's a slow pick and they honestly could be anywhere this time of the year. We just got mobbed by killer whales, so the fish were a bit spooked. You might want to try right in front of the sawmill too. I've been out messing around the last few days, and I honestly haven't seen much feed this year, compared to other years. Did see a pile of feed off Graveyard Pt though.

If the water is still flat when you are here, St. Johns will have some kings too. Black Sand beach is a favorite, and can hold some big fish early on. I picked up a 48lb king in May there a few years ago. Pt Eugennia and San Juanito Island can also hold some lunker kings. A run of big white kings show up this time of the year. Every year a few big ones are caught around St Johns early in the season, with not many guys out there fishing. Make sure your line/gear is in good working shape, as you never know!

In a skiff, I'd use a cut plug herring and banana weight. Mooch, motor mooch, or troll with that rig.

A few kings caught at 11 Mile and Cruz pass over the weekend too...

For you POW lurkers..

I ran out to Noyes yesterday. Chicken Hole looked good for kings, but I couldn't drop my hand troll gear as the current was ripping.

East Addington was dead.

Pineapple Rk looked very good for feed but I didn't get any kings. Marked one though, but he didn't bite. Fished Pineapple through the tide change.

7 trollers working off Lil Roller. A few highliners, so I'm sure they must be catching a few. I stayed out of their way.

Windy Bay looked good, and a buddy of mine was hand trolling it, so I didn't drop my gear. He didn't have any bites.

West St. Johns looked good. Whales, birds, and a troller working. I didn't fish, but watched a whale breaching for awhile.

Took a nap on the beach at Amargura. That new FS cabin sure is nice!

Thanks for the report, still a little early, looking forward to hitting all those spots in June and July when the big boys show up.

You never know when you'll run into a mess of kings this time of the year, but a good chance exists you'll come home empty handed. I've had wide open king fishing in Veta bay in April. (3 years ago) Last year, the best king fishing I had all season was late April at Tranquil Point. A lodge owner told me that they've had wide open king fishing at Pineapple in April, as well as big scores on halibut off the beach. Sure seems the King abundance is way down again this year. The bigger trollers are really struggling. Might be a long summer.

I've decided I'm going to run around Suemez tomorrow as they are calling for 3ft seas. Trout Pond, Cookie Jar, Rosary, and Arboleta immediately come to mind as spots I'll try. I've never gone through Meares Passage, so that will be fun. Also want to do a little beach combing in Arena. I'm sure something interesting washed up this winter. I'm also going to check out the Millar Rks for Lingcod. It's not open for them, but I'm always looking for new ling spots.

I don't start charter fishing until June 14th this year. I'm very happy that I'll have the opportunity to get out and so some fun fishing before the season starts.

Talking went out yesterday

Went out for 3-4 hours last evening, not a bite. Stayed inside, 62 pit and Spike to Tranquil. All was quiet, very few birds, little sign of baitfish. Gorgeous night though. Make sure to stop at Arena Cove for a nap today. Looks beautiful again. Wow.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I've decided I'm going to run around Suemez tomorrow as they are calling for 3ft seas. Trout Pond, Cookie Jar, Rosary, and Arboleta immediately come to mind as spots I'll try. I've never gone through Meares Passage, so that will be fun. Also want to do a little beach combing in Arena. I'm sure something interesting washed up this winter. I'm also going to check out the Millar Rks for Lingcod. It's not open for them, but I'm always looking for new ling spots.
    You'll want to watch for a high spot in Meares just before you get to Ulloa channel, its right in the middle of Meares and is usually kelped up. Also between Millar rocks and Meares there are a couple spots that are a little tricky but they'll also have kelp on them so there not hard to see.
    I've had some good days early in the season (late May) off Arena cove and Cathedral rock out in 140' both kings and butts, also alot of good ling water in that area, good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by smpow View Post
    Went out for 3-4 hours last evening, not a bite. Stayed inside, 62 pit and Spike to Tranquil. All was quiet, very few birds, little sign of baitfish. Gorgeous night though. Make sure to stop at Arena Cove for a nap today. Looks beautiful again. Wow.
    The Tranquil Pt to Spike drag looked pretty bleak when I gave it a shot last week. It's a shame, as I love fishing those spots. I still can't believe how many kings we had in that area two seasons ago. I hope we see a year like that again!

Quote Originally Posted by AkKings View Post
    You'll want to watch for a high spot in Meares just before you get to Ulloa channel, its right in the middle of Meares and is usually kelped up. Also between Millar rocks and Meares there are a couple spots that are a little tricky but they'll also have kelp on them so there not hard to see.
    I've had some good days early in the season (late May) off Arena cove and Cathedral rock out in 140' both kings and butts, also alot of good ling water in that area, good luck.

Thanks! I'll post a report tomorrow night and hopefully a few pics.

I went to black beach, cone island, gertudis, back too black beach, and the cliffs, then the klawock dock for nothing. my fishing budy lost my fishing rod over board a penn 965 ouch and a keni king rod so if you are fishing between gerdies and lone tree and catch a rod its a nice one. cone island looked good on the outside gerdies looked dead.

Bummer on not getting a king. 6 boats were working the cliffs this morning, so somebody must be catching something.

I'm having my worst winter/spring yet for kings. I'm going to wait a week and then go try again. Last year this time I had over 20 good ones in the boat..

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    Bummer on not getting a king. 6 boats were working the cliffs this morning, so somebody must be catching something.

I'm having my worst winter/spring yet for kings. I'm going to wait a week and then go try again. Last year this time I had over 20 good ones in the boat..

Yeah, saw about 4 or 5 boats yesterday at the cliffs, didn't look like too much action though. Wow, 20 last year? Nice. Can't wait to tie into some, haven't fished west side much. Mainly out of Thorne Bay.