Thread: Flyfishing in Fairbanks??

Smile Flyfishing in Fairbanks??

Hello all, I will be in fairbank on May 8-10th. I have never been to Fairbanks before and would like to know if there is anywhere to fish and what type of fish could be caught this time of year. I am mostly interested in trout fishing. What type of flies do u recommend. I have a 5 wt fly rod is that ok?? I have never caught any fish in Alaska and would like to try my hand at it. Any and all information would be greatly appreaciated. also is there any where to view Grizzly bears from a distance of course. I have been to Anchorage before but not Fairbanks and would like to know if there are any good viewing area for any type of wildlife.

Thank you in advance,
    Last edited by Amacron; 04-27-2009 at 21:12. Reason: wanted to add something

Default Grayling Fishing

You have limited access to Trout in Fairbanks. Maybe just maybe you could lake fish with about 10,000 people at Quarts (about 90 miles from town) as the ice goes out but other than that limited limited limited sorry.

You will be able to chase grayling in the local river i.e. Chena and its sloughs i.e. Chena and Badger as well as Piledriver all with 20 miles of town. 5W will get you fishing flies would be smallish white woolley buggers, bead heads hares ear size 12-14, Griffith Gnats size 14,16 and 18 and some standard caddis nymphs.

Grizzly Viewing not likely unless you find some Moose that are calving and that is just not a good picture.

Sorry to sound like the gloom and doom guy.

Best Wishes and Tight Lines

Blue Moose

Thanks Bluemoose for the info. Would like to catch some grayling never have caught one before. I appreaciate your honesty.

Thanks again.

Don't forget to try up the Steese Hwy for some greyling in the Chatanika.