Thread: Lab training so far ..11 weeks old 25apr09

Thumbs up Lab training so far ..11 weeks old 25apr09

sit ,stay,come,he "knows" them all . up to 1.5 mins on "stay" with me about 25' away........(i'm just lookin around, listen to the talk raido in the backround ) comes on a bound with the command "come" .5 sec delay using his name.... been working the two words together. On come / at Any other time (other than training) there is that .5 sec time delay time there too (about 50% of the time) . Will look at moving some of the training to a differnt location...WELL HOW are/we doing? any tips???
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Just my two cents so take it for what it is worth but I would not add his name to the "come" command. It is just one more step in the process that could complicate things. When my dog was that age I was still keeping everything fun oriented. Sounds like your dog is doing great!
    "A dog has no use for fancy cars or big homes or designer clothes. Status symbol means nothing to him. A waterlogged stick will do just fine." Marley and Me

Get him in the drink and retrieving as soon as you can! Nothing major, few steps in is fine to start- make sure he brings the dummy all the way back to you and drops it every time. Praise him to the high heavens for this. My Lab was ginger at first in water, now at 2 she'll leap off a ten-foot bank to hit it, swims in heavy surf, loves it.

Since your pup is still very young, make sure that any retrieving training you do is FUN for the dog. Reward him/her even if it only brings back the item to your feet and drops it. I started out in my hallway with the doors closed. This way my dog had no choice but to come back. At this stage in the game, there should be no punishment for not retrieving. Please keep in mind that this step is months away. If your dog doesnt want to go get an item walk him or her out to it and play with him/her until it picks up whatever your threw. It sounds to me like you are doing well so far.

Default Too much too soon?

I have read and re-read your post multiple times. Every time I do, I think of 2 things. The first one is of my first lab. I was 19, she was a baby. I taught her all sorts of control work early. Lots of obedience. By golly, I was going to have a good dog. No, a great dog. She was going to know it all. And it couldn't happen too soon.
    In spite of me being me, she was a great dog. But not because of all that early work. She was a winner because of who she was. She was well trained,don't get me wrong. We did lots of work for hunting and field trials. I won't discount all the hours we put in. She was qualified all age, placed in major stakes, and is the best hunting dog I have been blessed to shoot over. Still, I think I could have trained much differently and had at least as good of results. It is easy to take the edge off of a dog by doing too much control work and not letting the dog have fun. That does not mean let the dog run loose and amok.
    The second thing I think of is my current 10 month old lab. She is a hotty. Wild, fun, full of life. We have taken obedience slowly, carefully, and I have done everything I can to balance control and correction with fun. She shows it. She loves to work, loves to play, and for the most part, both are the same to her. Is she perfect? NO! We have a ways to go. But she knows the basics, and most importantly of those is "come". Will she sit for 1.5 minutes right now? Probably not. Can I correct her and get her to do so? Yes. I could. I choose not to for now. Is she going to jump on you when you come to visit? Plan on it.
    I am not a trainer that avoids corrections. I am a trainer that avoids conflict. There is a difference. I will correct when needed, but if we do it a lot, we are in conflict. Make sense? If we correct a lot, then we are not training, we are testing. HUGE DIFFERENCE!
    This little female has a motor. Full blown, alcohol fueled, nitrous injected Hemi. We introduced her to water, the gun, and birds at the end of last fall. During the winter we threw marks as cold as -53. She loved it all.
    And now that there are puddles, we can't keep her out of them. She loves to run and splash and play. This spring she has been retrieving in lunging water, and this evening swam (her own idea) in the Chena amongst the ice flows.
    Her obedience work will continue. I will start to force fetch soon. Controls will be increased slowly. I now have something to gauge my training by. I will know when I am applying too much control as I will most likely see her slow down.
    When your pup is old and gray, what will you remember? That at 11 weeks he sat for 1.5 minutes? Or will you remember his first retrieve? The time he broke through ice to get that duck? The first time he dove and completely dissapeared chasing a cripple? Will you remember how he smelled after a long day in the swamp?
    I guess all that is the long way to urge you to be careful. Look at the long term, and plan for it. I am not saying that you are being cruel or unfair or insinuating that you are doing something wrong. I am only ask that you step back and look hard to be sure you really are on the right track. And I wish you and your buddy the best.

Thumbs up follow up...

BUTTE, is doing fine.. i feel i'm taking it slow ..well anyway, my "training" lessons are a short 3-5 mins a day at about 6 pm all kinds of fun the rest of the time the only thing that he has to do is "sit" and let me get the dog food bowl down then i say OK ...then he can go eat
    WHEN IN DOUBT> THROTTLE OUT.......

Quote Originally Posted by Ak River Rat View Post
    The second thing I think of is my current 10 month old lab. She is a hotty. Wild, fun, full of life.

She loves to work, loves to play, and for the most part, both are the same to her.

This little female has a motor. Full blown, alcohol fueled, nitrous injected Hemi.
    It sounds like you have a twin to my 9 month old pup.

So far the only thing I have realized I have messed up is "reliable recall" on HERE. I did not do enough treat training outside the house in the winter to get her to finish to me. She prefers to come around behind me about 10 feet and then slowly come up on heel where she will drop the dummy and wait for the next full on charge to the next mark.

I did not care too much about this until joining a beginner class with the local retriever clubs. They show you the basics of hunt testing and field trails for the junior dogs as well as working on basic OB. My pup loves to run right past me and back to the judges and the gallery to play with everyone. She is considerate enough to drop the dummy near me before she runs off to socialize. I have found some good step by step recall training guidelines and am planning on revisiting this part of our training before CC work starts.

I am expecting a big fat "0" on Trainability at the club Picnic fun HT this saturday.

She will be getting high points for her Mach 2 straight line sprint out to the mark, though. However, they will be using pigeons and she loves to play with the old shoveler she trains with at home so I am really interested in what happens.

Maybe after this club picnic HT she and I can start FF basics and the recall training to get her coming back to my front.