Thread: disappointing clam trip...

Exclamation disappointing clam trip...

went down to bear cove today thinking i would get a few steamers.
    not much luck, the beaches where i had done well in years past were nearly devoid of live legal clams, and what is more alarming is there were no small clams.
    for 2 hours i got a couple dozen steamers and some butters. a few years ago it would have been a bucket of steamers and i wouldn't even take the butters.
    recently this has been the story from quite a few places in the bay... a few adult clams, no juveniles, and LOTS of deaders... even when i was digging at least 75% of the clams i found properly oriented in the substrate were mudders.
    there are a few places where i know that freshwater inundation has caused die-offs, but places like bear cove and kasitsna bay that have historically been good spots are no longer, and it's not the otters, or the commercial diggers, it is a lack of recruitment of new clams.
    a friend who was researching this said that they were finding a new clam species occupying the steamer niche, not an invasive, but a small species that is not big enough to eat. i will try and find out some more, today was pretty alarming...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default Razors...

... were a bit scarce too at Ninilchik, but still enough for a meal. I blame it on global warming Dave. Time for the greenies to picket on Bishops Beach, and get Gaya's attention, eh?

if the exposed beach freezes too much will that kill the clams?....I've heard of that but wonder if it is true....we did have some wicked cold snaps this year
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

yeah, i have been talking to some folks and we did have some extreme (for here) cold during a minus tide cycle... no doubt a contributing factor.
    still , there is poor recruitment of steamers, but that is perhaps another issue...
    Alaska Board of Game 2015 tour... "Kicking the can down the road"
    http://www.alaskabackcountryhunters.org/

Default The clams I got...

Quote Originally Posted by homerdave View Post
    yeah, i have been talking to some folks and we did have some extreme (for here) cold during a minus tide cycle... no doubt a contributing factor.
    still , there is poor recruitment of steamers, but that is perhaps another issue...
    ... I had to dig VERY deep for. I believe they will be easier next tide cycle.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

been seeing on the news about the ocean getting more acidic. supposedly killing off alot of the smaller species which is food for the larger in the food chain. wonder if that might have anything to do with it.