Thread: Strange behavior of Spruce Hens:

Default Strange behavior of Spruce Hens:

I was sitting on the porch a few min.s ago, and this bird flew straight into the wall above my head, and bounced off and was dead at my feet. Now I've lived up here for almost 46 years and thats a first for me. I was told by my brother that the same thing was happening at the cabin, I hav'nt been able to get up there in the last couple of years, but this is kinda strange. I put him in the frezzer and will take down to the F&G tomorow and have him sent off. Just was wondering if any of you have seen a change of behavior?

( and yes this is differant than sparrows slaming into windows)

I've seen 3 this year ..earlier.. flew into my living room window..

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

They're in the breeding season right now. The males are highly territorial and get very aggressive and bold when driving off other males. Sometimes they see reflections and attack them or sometimes they get so hormoned driven that they attack non-grouse targets. I've shot more than one male with porcupine quills in it. They all attack people sometimes especially keying in on bright red. Check this thread:

http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=52930

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

seen it a bunch when i worked on base... they would hit the bay doors on the Veh maint building... i always figured some gal told him he was ugly...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

The results of the presidential election are just starting to trickle down the food chain.

Funny you brought this post up. Just the other day, I had a UHAUL moving van sitting in my driveway and I heard this loud sound as if someone shot a "quiet" shotgun in my yard. Anyways, I went out to investigate and there was a dead spruce hen laying next to the van. He hit the side of the van with such force he cracked his head open and was dead on impact. Pretty crazy.

Global Warming.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I have seen grouse and tarmigin run into the side of building before. I figure free meal.

I had a grouse fly into my living room window in Eagle River so hard it broke the outside pane. I went out to collect my free meal and it jumped up and flew away. I have been waiting for that bird to come back, I will shoot it and eat it. It will be the best $400 grouse I ever had.

We've found the occasional dead one in our driveway over the years, having flown into our picture window.

Yep, happens out at the cabin a lot actually. I don't think there is anything wrong other then they can't fly worth a crap, lol...

Best one ever was I looked up to see this grouse gliding in like a fighter pilot after a nightout on the town. I said rusty, look at this! bout that time he slammed into the dump bed of my 6x6, he got his feet under himself, clucked/shook his feathers back into place and waddled around like, 'god hope no body saw that' . Then jumped down and started to scratch for breakfest.

We never laughed so hardin our lives!

Had them smack the cabin and fly into an enclosed woodshed many times.

Default Alfred Hitchcock

1963, The Birds. Get your Tennis Racquets for self defense verses the grouse.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Behavior like this is what gives them (and other grouse) the name "Fool's Hen."

Default Ruffed Grouse

Grouse usually do this the first year of life when they hit sexual maturity.
    It is most likely young males that do this. I used to raise game birds and when the horomones start raging this would happen. You remember the feeling guys don't you.

Tracy
    Alaska Mountin' Man Taxidermy
    North Pole, Ak 99705
    (907) 488-7083