Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Yakutat Steelhead 2009

Default Yakutat Steelhead 2009

Anybody heading to Yakutat to fish for Steelies anytime soon? I met the Salmon Slayer today in the Alaska Fly Shop today and figured I'd see if anybody is going or returning? The water sounds low, but fish are moving up according to the Situk Fly Shop website fish reports. I'll be sure to post some results when I return (May 10th). Anybody else with input, results, advice please add to this thread.

Pole Bender and I were there for 5 days. We got home a week ago. We've done the trip a bunch of times and this year was high on the list of the best trips. No drop-backs at that point. Mostly lower river fishing, but that suits us fine. What we did last week has no relevance for what you should expect next week. The fishing changes very quickly. Hope for rain. High water is good for that river, especially once the fisherman population swells.

My hat's off to the Fly Shop in Yakutat. It's well stocked and the family that operates it is very friendly and accommodating. I hope they continue to be successful.

I'm headed down the 4-8th of May... I'll report back.

The Fly Shop is run by a great family, very friendly and helpfull. Great source of current info. Also the ADFG has info.

Default Heading down soon

We are going down for a few days on the 4th.

Will
    Since the World is 2/3 Water and Only 1/3 Land, Figures the Good Lord Intended I Fish More Than I Plow.

I'll be there form the 2nd to the 9th. I'm camping at the bridge, so if you see 3-4 guys hanging out around a Mountain HW tent and white van, stop in and say "Hi". I've been corresponding with the owner of the Situk Fly Shop and he seems like a great guy with a great shop & family. I'm happy to see a flyshop in Yakuktat, it was pretty slim pickins' before. See you all there.

Default New Website

I found this website today when I was surfing the net. It has some nice picutures and fresh reports from the Situk. It even has a shot of that 44 incher caught down there last week. I guess the Pic doesn't do it justice because it sure doesn't look that "huge" to me.

http://www.hobofishing.com/

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Smile

I'm in Yakutat right now!! Heading out for my last river day in 30min.
    It's been really tough fishing, most days have been fishing with Bob Fraker on his 70hp sled. The bottom end has been giving up 6-7 fish for the 3 of us. Once above the weer 2-3 fish for the day/person. Some quality fish though, we have had 5 fish over 38" and one 42" buck.

Better report in a couple days whin I get home.

Dave

Just got back last night. Ditto on what Tight Lines posted.....Tough fishing right now down there....They can be had for sure, but you definately gotta work for em right now...

Heres a few from our trip...

Sweet Pics! Can't wait, 13 more days!

Fish On!

I leave next Saturday (may 9) and I am getting pumped. camping on the river and going to spend 7 days (i leave the 15) oh boy!

Default Good pics

Thanks for the pics, those are great. Did you hike in, or drift? Looks like the water is coming up, should only get bettern in the coming week. I'm pumped!!!!

17 vehicles at the bridge yesterday with tents everywhere. 25 guys with fishing rods getting off the plane this morning to add to the crowds. Better get out early.

Quote Originally Posted by ptarmigan View Post
    17 vehicles at the bridge yesterday with tents everywhere. 25 guys with fishing rods getting off the plane this morning to add to the crowds. Better get out early.

We walked. Was a lot of people there that floated the river, but whenever we went out we always had the holes we wanted to ourselves....I imagine things are getting busier there, Hopefully the fishing heats up more...

Just came back from the Situk. Most of the fish were in the upper river. They still did not think the main surge of fish had arrived in the river. We caught some nice fish and saw a few pics of some monsters: "42". The over winter fish had come down, so we had a mix of chrome and over winter fish. The weather was overcast and drizzly and helped some. Best times (as ussual) were in the morning and evening. Check with Bob Miller at the Situk Fly shop for up to date info. Cheers!

Default Back from Yak

Just got back the other day as well. Fishing was good, with the evening fishing being the best time for me. Guestimate around 25-30 fish landed with many that just didn't stay on the hook. Lots of guys hiking upriver from the bridge while I was there. Caught a few during the sunny days, but mostly did the afternoon/evening thing. Mixed bag of Spring and Fall fish too, so that was nice. Apparently the Dollies are in and are getting thick, so it was good to not have to pick through them. Otters were everywhere on the river. I have video of one killing a fresh chrome Steelhead around 36 to 38 inches long upriver from where I was fishing and trying to drag the thing ashore. Many other groups saw Otters killing fish too. When you release your fish, make sure that they're strong and can swim on their own or the Otters will hone in on them and take them right away. Put the fish into the current and not some back eddie if you can to save the fish. Did I mention lots of Otters??? They're mating too, so don't be alarmed if you hear screaming along the rivers, especially in the evening. Flies that worked ranged from Garcia Eggs to Leeches, to Bright Eggy things. Best luck was on the biggest black leech/Eel pattern I had at almost 8 inches long. Watch out for Cow moose, they were up in the meadows towards the Sanctuary and were holding their ground ready to drop or protecting babies. Hope this info helps the next group going down.

Mad Dog-11
    Did the guy who showed you the 42 incher happen to be camping in a white van on the upstream side of the bridge? If so, that pic was me, but I'm not certain on the size of the fish since we didn't measure it. I'm going to try and get some measurements from the photo because I want a fiberglass done of that fish. I've been waiting for the right color/size Steelie for awhile now and that one will do it. Either way.... good times.

Quote Originally Posted by snowcamoman View Post
    Just got back the other day as well. Fishing was good, with the evening fishing being the best time for me. Guestimate around 25-30 fish landed with many that just didn't stay on the hook. Lots of guys hiking upriver from the bridge while I was there. Caught a few during the sunny days, but mostly did the afternoon/evening thing. Mixed bag of Spring and Fall fish too, so that was nice. Apparently the Dollies are in and are getting thick, so it was good to not have to pick through them. Otters were everywhere on the river. I have video of one killing a fresh chrome Steelhead around 36 to 38 inches long upriver from where I was fishing and trying to drag the thing ashore. Many other groups saw Otters killing fish too. When you release your fish, make sure that they're strong and can swim on their own or the Otters will hone in on them and take them right away. Put the fish into the current and not some back eddie if you can to save the fish. Did I mention lots of Otters??? They're mating too, so don't be alarmed if you hear screaming along the rivers, especially in the evening. Flies that worked ranged from Garcia Eggs to Leeches, to Bright Eggy things. Best luck was on the biggest black leech/Eel pattern I had at almost 8 inches long. Watch out for Cow moose, they were up in the meadows towards the Sanctuary and were holding their ground ready to drop or protecting babies. Hope this info helps the next group going down.

Mad Dog-11
    Did the guy who showed you the 42 incher happen to be camping in a white van on the upstream side of the bridge? If so, that pic was me, but I'm not certain on the size of the fish since we didn't measure it. I'm going to try and get some measurements from the photo because I want a fiberglass done of that fish. I've been waiting for the right color/size Steelie for awhile now and that one will do it. Either way.... good times.

Great Report, sounds like you had a great time.....Two More Days....Can't Wait!

Fish On!

Default Headlamps

Just a reminder to those who fish late or who go in in the dark... remember to take headlamps. There were a few guys hiking out in the dark without them and we loaned out a couple for guys to take to their friends so they could get back. Not the place to be staggering around in the dark with mad Cow Moose around. Sooner or later the Growlers will be there too, so take a light and carry some spray or gun in case. Most of the snow is gone with just a few areas that are pretty well packed down. Easy to follow trails and plenty of fish for everybody to spread out.

Default Great Report

Thanks for the great report about your trip, hope there is good times when we arrive. 36 hours til we leave.

Thanks again, look forward to seeing your pictures. TSS
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Hopefully your trip will be good. Heard the river is loaded with Dollies now, so at least theres that if the Steelie bite is off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast