Thread: Questions about moving a cabin

Question Questions about moving a cabin

I am looking into purchasing a cabin (18X20 roughly) in the valley area and moving it to Talkeetna area and have no idea about what all is needed for this. Do I need special permits? Who would I call to move it? Freight company, etc. Does anyone have any suggestions or horror stories on what not to do? Is this gonna be expensive?!?!?!

Thanks for help
    J
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

Talking Moving a cabin....

If it was me, I'd spend the labor and take it apart in sections, and put it back together.Haul it on a trailer...would save lots of $$$.GR

While I have helped to move a cabin before, I think you may find it cost prohibitive for that distance. (?)

In my brother's case (the move i assisted with), he had a 32' trailer, and a Mack truck, as well as a D-6 dozer.

What we did is nailed 2x6 brackets onto the long sides of the cabin (to protect from dozer blade), then lifted one side of the cabin at a time, while stacking cribbing underneath (about 6" at a time). Then, when high enough, backed the trailer underneath. Nailed a lot of 2x's around the outside to give something to ratchet strap to, and drove down the road. It required a pilot car, and a permit for the 8 mile trek.

Once we got it out to the trailhead, the process was reversed, except setting it down on a skid made of 18" pontoons welded to a frame. Then, went back to town with the trailer, picked up the Cat, and started dragging.

The whole process took about 18 hours just to get it to the remote property (9 miles from road), followed by another day or so set it on the foundation.

There were no weight restrictions on the swamps/trails that the cabin was drug across, so you might want to check that. If the equipment was not owned, and the labor voluntary, I would imagine it would cost 5-8K just for the short distance we had to go.

Default WOW

Well I guess I will be thinking about having someone actually build one on my property. By the time I have the cabin moved that I am thinking about getting, it would be cheaper just to have someone build me something. Now, I guess I have to find a cabin builder.
    The only thing worse than a Subaru is the as*hole who drives it.

When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

I moved a 14 x 24 cabin ( 16 ft at eaves ) from Eureka to Cantwell via Palmer about five years ago. I Know there is a width restriction difference after 16 feet. But the permit was $25 for me and the differences are in number of pilot carrs, not so much cost of permit. I needed three pilots for mine. I used a Chevy one ton diesel. I cant remember the engine size, but it was a single cab, long bed pick up; and a 28 foot goose neck trailer. It was a chore for the truck and 45 mph was top end even down hill because of the wind resistance. We had to pull over to cool off a few times. I spent about $300 in fuel and one very long day. I checked into a moving company and they were $1000 plus provide your own pilots and labor. I did all my jacking with one jack and a lot of donage slowly. Since the highway is straight and wide to Talkeetna, I would say it is very doable, and cost efective. Especially if you have buddies with the equipment. Call State of Alaska highway dept for the permit. It's really easy on their end. If the cabin is too wide, they can tell you right away. Keep in mind my prices are five years old, so maybe double now.

Couldn't you just number the logs then take it apart, move it and reconstruct it on-site? It has to be easier then building a cabin from scratch.
    Steve