Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Plan B Seward this weekend

Default Plan B Seward this weekend

So its starting to look like plan B this weekend, Seward because Whittier road may be closed. Even if they open the road the restrictions will prevent us from making a decent weekend out of it do to family obligations.
    I grew up in Seward but never really fished much outside the bay, back then you could hook halibut close to town-sometime even in town.
    So what are my options other than running all the way to Montague?
    Wed like to stay out a couple of nights and bring back some fish, so recommendations on where to prospect and good overnight anchorage away from the crowds would be a huge help.

Thanks,
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Weather permitting you'll have some luck fishing out between Cape Mansfield and Fault point, about 300' and don't expect it to be too fast but there fish there. If you want to go further go try off Cape Junken or Cape Puget in about the same depth give or take 20'. Look at your charts it will make sense where to go. good luck

Yes, weather dependant for sure this time of year but we just want to get on the water more than anything. Ill probable leave the shrimp pots in the driveway unless forecast is really favorable. Havent looked at the charts to determine how far out its legal to shrimp.
    Thanks for the reply,
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

you have to go west of Cape Resurrection, but I'm not sure how far west you're allowed to go. If you stay in Aialik Bay you'll be okay. I heard you have to register with F&G though. Good luck you can always try that big hump in the middle of the bay, I've never done it but saw people doing it this week and heard of people fishing it in the past.

here you go. you can shrimp half way to Homer (Gore Point). good luck

"The personal use shrimp pot fishery is open between Aialik Cape and Gore Point. To participate in this fishery you must be an Alaskan resident with a current sport fishing license or ADF&G PID, and you need a permit. Permits can be obtained at the Anchorage, Homer, or Soldotna ADF&G offices. They can also be obtained at the State Troopers office in Seward.
    Check page 56 of the 2008 Southcentral Alaska Sport Fishing Regulations Summary for regulations on this fishery, and page 63 for shrimp pot requirements.
    For more information pertaining to the personal use shrimp pot fishery call the ADF&G office in Homer at 907-235-8191.."

Default looking at charts

Ok, been checking out the charts,
    Anyone have experience with Driftwood or Killer bar over in Day harbor for anchorage, or to the east Paradise cove in Three hole bay or up in pony Cove for anchorage. The weather is looking good Id think some of the more exposed coves or bays should be ok overnight anchorage. As Ive said, not much experience outside resurrection bay. Dont think well take the shrimp pots; theyll be plenty of time for that in known shrimp holes out of Whittier, just looking forward to being on the water for a weekend.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Anyone have experience with Driftwood or Killer bar over in Day harbor for anchorage, or to the east Paradise cove in Three hole bay or up in pony Cove for anchorage. The weather is looking good Id think some of the more exposed coves or bays should be ok overnight anchorage. As Ive said, not much experience outside resurrection bay. Dont think well take the shrimp pots; theyll be plenty of time for that in known shrimp holes out of Whittier, just looking forward to being on the water for a weekend.
    Driftwood is ok depending on the weather, but Agnes is a whole lot better than Pony Cove.

Quote Originally Posted by akdeweyj View Post
    Agnes is a whole lot better than Pony Cove.
    I was just going to suggest that. Agnes is a nice place to spend the night.

Default Best Anchorage on the East Side

Bowen Anchorage in Day Harbor is a sweet spot.

Quote Originally Posted by breausaw View Post
    Jay,

Driftwood gets a lot of swell, Killer Bay is medium at best and picks up swell, Pony Cove is really too deep and picks up a lot of swell, Three Hole Bay is very good, but up the bay further is Coleman and it is WAY better, Agnes is fine and dandy, Anchor Cove in Day Harbor is very good, but just a little farther up the bay is Bowen Anchorage which is awesome and very protected.

So where are you going? The Cape Suckling to Gore Point Forecast doesn't look THAT good. In fact, based upon my experience with the areas where you may be going and knowing the capabilities of your vessel, I would stay in Ressurection tied to the dock on Friday, go out Saturday am and see what it looks like out at Cape Ressurection and decide right then and there. I don't really like boating out there too much when the wind is blowing from the East and SE as it tends to accentuate the waves and make things pretty sloppy and even confused near the Capes dependinng on the tide. But, as I say this, I have seen the same forecast that they have right now and had it be just perfect.....If any thing else, it looks like it will be wonderful in the bay. And it just might be wonderful in Day Harbor too. Who knows? It has happened before.....Have a safe and good trip - wish I could go.......

Quote Originally Posted by T.R. Bauer View Post
    Jay,

Driftwood gets a lot of swell, Killer Bay is medium at best and picks up swell, Pony Cove is really too deep and picks up a lot of swell, Three Hole Bay is very good, but up the bay further is Coleman and it is WAY better, Agnes is fine and dandy, Anchor Cove in Day Harbor is very good, but just a little farther up the bay is Bowen Anchorage which is awesome and very protected.

So where are you going? The Cape Suckling to Gore Point Forecast doesn't look THAT good. In fact, based upon my experience with the areas where you may be going and knowing the capabilities of your vessel, I would stay in Ressurection tied to the dock on Friday, go out Saturday am and see what it looks like out at Cape Ressurection and decide right then and there. I don't really like boating out there too much when the wind is blowing from the East and SE as it tends to accentuate the waves and make things pretty sloppy and even confused near the Capes dependinng on the tide. But, as I say this, I have seen the same forecast that they have right now and had it be just perfect.....If any thing else, it looks like it will be wonderful in the bay. And it just might be wonderful in Day Harbor too. Who knows? It has happened before.....Have a safe and good trip - wish I could go.......
    Thanks for all the suggestions, especially on anchorages….

If the weather is favorable maybe Agnes on Friday night.

Cape Suckling to Gore Point is a large area, so perhaps making it around the corner to Day will be in the cards Friday night also.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Hauling your boat to Seward;

Be careful on the Kenai Peninsula highway to Seward while hauling your boat. The road has many heaves from winter and you'll have to keep your speed down, especially if hauling a large boat. Drive carefully!

Default I Second that!

Quote Originally Posted by Alasken1 View Post
    Be careful on the Kenai Peninsula highway to Seward while hauling your boat. The road has many heaves from winter and you'll have to keep your speed down, especially if hauling a large boat. Drive carefully!
    Just got into Seward an hour ago for some Butt fishing in the morning. 1 Monster bump a couple miles before the Homer turn off. Had I been on my bike, I may have lost it.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Not much luck for me out of Seward this weekend (buddy put about 170 miles on his boat). One flounder and ling caught and released, 4 cod (Pacific? Not sure. Shrimp bait now). Saw someone shoot a halibut just outside Sunny Cove, so at least some were being caught. Couldn't have beaten the weather if you'd tried. Some maybe 6-8 ft swells outside the bay Saturday afternoon, but no real chop.

Seward this weekend:

We did ok considering I hadn’t fished the area for over 25 years. Tried to make it into Day harbor but the 6 foot seas got old and we realized the bay wouldn’t off much in the way of stable fishing, so we spent Friday night in Thumb Cove. Saturday we tried around Rugged for halibut but the swells didn’t bode well with the crew.
    We heeded back up the bay and tried for some rock South of Caines Head but only hooked Irish Lords. Worked the west side of the bay to Cheval Island but only hooked a couple of small rocks and a Sea Anemone.
    Time to get off the boat so we anchorage up in Bulldog and took the dink in, great beach and anchorage. Headed over to Sunny Cove and spotted this hill on the GPS so decided to give it a try, hooked a couple of nice chickens and a rock along with a good fight with a large skate; dinner was sweet!. Stayed in the cove south of Sunny and hit the same spot for a bit on the way in for another chicken, better than a kick in the pants.
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Friday aftrernoon in Seward

Made it out to Aialik bay that evening. Dropped a shrimp pot and caught one rock fish. Pulled an empty pot and moved on. By the time we left for home on Saturday evening we had caught 1 chicken and 7 Pacific cod and a quart of shrimp from four soaks. Dinner on Sunday night was at least fresh, if not refreshing! And the weather was very sweet. Even got to go without a shirt for a time! Breausaw... I think I saw you slowly heading south near Fox Island Saturday around 7:00 ish. Was that you?

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    Breausaw... I think I saw you slowly heading south near Fox Island Saturday around 7:00 ish. Was that you?
    That would have been us,,,,
    Jay
    07 C-Dory 25 Cruiser
    OurPlayground.

Default Success

out of Seward this weekend ( Saturday). The cabin fever was killing me so we decided to go out on a 6 pack out of Seward. The boat was 2 shy of a limit. Yah I know it was a bit early but nothing like a few fresh chickens for the BBQ for the start of the summer. Winner Winner Chicken Dinner!
    Also a road update: Past the Hope cutoff 3 to 5 miles is nasty. There are signs posted but not at every stretch.
    Last edited by Formerly Montana Bob; 08-16-2009 at 10:31.

Default Gee Bob!

Thats a pretty good take! Are those guys out of the bay? or in?

Default Outside

Quote Originally Posted by dirtface View Post
    Thats a pretty good take! Are those guys out of the bay? or in?
    I believe we were outside the bay. This is the first time I've been out of Seward. I think we left the bay through " The Washing Machine" and went to the left past a bunker on top of a huge rock/island. Bunch of goats on the mtn to the left.
    It was a great day on the water no chop a few big swells but very mild. We could have easly limited but the gals missed as many as we pulled in.
    Few skates, a nice cod and a Ling was caught and sent back for another day.
    Last edited by Formerly Montana Bob; 08-16-2009 at 10:31.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast