Thread: fish cleaning station

Default fish cleaning station

hello all
    Im looking to build some kind of little fish cleaning station. So instead of reinventing the wheel I thought I would try to solicate some of your ideas.

Does anyone know where to buy the white plastic cutting board material locally...Juneau?

Thanks for any and all ideas!

I don't know about Juneau, but Alaska Rubber up in Anchorage has the stuff. Last time I was in there they had it in large sheets and would even cut it to size for you.

The white/black stuff you are looking for is very exspencive. I have come up with an idea for mine at the lodge. I will be building one out of plastic wood decking material. I pland on using pipe flanges for 1" pipe and angle it via washers under one or two of the screw holes. This does two things for me. I set this up in the river and need longer legs on the river side of the table and angle out the legs for stability.. Hope this helps.

George
    George Riddle
    Owner/Operator
    Blueberry Island Lodge
    www.blueberryislandlodge.com

Default plastic decking?

you mean like the trex decking stuff? hmmm good idea

I just use a wooden spool turned on it's side.

How much you wanna spend?

Do you want something portable ?

Why not just get an old ironing board from Value Village and a scrap of plywood from a construction site. Ironing baord adjusts for height and easily washed. Throw the plywood away each fall and get a new one in the spring.

depends on where your station would be....on a boat build a cleaning trough out of 1/4 inch starboard...available in juneau at perserverance glass....at home I have a cleaning table built out of a sheet of laminate and a framework/stand out of scrap lumber, cut with holes for hose end and plastic garbage bag....clip the bag on with those cheap plastic wood clamps. hope this helps.

I just clean them on the tail gate or river bank. I hate bringing whole fish home! I keep a heavy duty cutting board on the boat and it works well. I rough fillet everything on site and then do any touch up needed in the kitchen on a different large cutting board.

We pulled the cloth pad off an Ironing board and put a 2x12 plank on it works well ,fairly stable and folds flat.

Default cutting boards

Western Auto has a variety of sizes of the white cutting boards. They also have folding ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Juneau Fisher View Post
    Western Auto has a variety of sizes of the white cutting boards. They also have folding ones.
    Three Bears in Palmer has them in sizes to about 36" by 55" or so.

I put a plank on an ironing board frame. Remove the padding and screwed the 2 x 12 down from underneath. Folds flat and still pretty stable.

I put a plank on an ironing board frame. Pull the pad off and screw a 2x12 down from underneath. Folds flat and still pretty stable.

Default cuttin board

Western Auto has VERY lardge cutting boards

I removed the cloth pad off an old Ironing board and screwed a 2x12 plank on it. Fairly stable and folds flat.

I use a doormat, green or brown outdoor carpet material on top of a cooler and it keeps the fish from sliding around. Fillet, rinse, throw in cooler, when done turn upside down and slap against water to clean

The best thing I have found to keep a fish from sliding around while cleaning it is one of those new "horse hair" door mats. Compared to other mats, it leaves them all to shame. No slipping, and you can cut right into it. Rinse your fillet or steaks and your good to go.

we used to have one at work that was pretty neat. there were two sides and both sides angled into a troff (trough how the he** do you spell that word?) that was made out of big (4"?) pvc that had been split lengthwise that drained all of the scales and guts into a bucket that was emptied nightly. the board on each side was plywood (I am guessing 2' X 8' since that could be made out of one sheet) and each 'station' had its own 1'-2' hose. A regular hose fed into the unit and each station had a ball valve for water that was easy and convenient. we scaled the fish with a wire brush and running water, and filleted them on the plywood. The running water was right there for you. There really wasn't much to the design of the unit. I probably didn't describe it well, but would be happy to describe more fully if anybody has questions.
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

Default cutting board

i got a old ironing board, and after stripping off the padding, attached a 2x12 via screws from underneath. thanks nitetime x 3. i have touretts syndrome forgive me @##$$! &*^%$ $#@!^( ME!

I use a 1x8 that is about 2 foot long, and attach a spring loaded clamp (to hold the tail). Its pretty convient and I can wash it right in the water when Im done.