Thread: Need Simple Backpacking Recipes for Grouse, Rabbit, Fish

Default Need Simple Backpacking Recipes for Grouse, Rabbit, Fish

This summer, I will be hiking Resurrection Trail with a group. We will have plenty of Mountain House, but we hope to subsist in part on grouse, ptarmigan, rabbit, and a variety of fish, from trout to grayling to reds (they actually run into a lake in the pass). We will be traveling light, so I would appreciate any good recipes folks might have for preparing meals that would require little extra weight. Spicy and tangy recipes are a plus.

Thanks!

Id forget about Grouse and Ptarmigan if I was you, the seasons closed until August.

For quick and easy fish I just drizzle a little Italian salad dressing over it wrap it in foil and cook it on a rock next to the fire.

Thanks for the idea. Our trip will be in August, so we're legal.

The foil idea works great for any dish, but remember you gotta carry that out with you. Not sure how you can pack in Italian dressing, maybe it comes in little plastic pouches or something?

When we camp out or get hungry just tromping around and have some fresh caught grayling we just clean em out and once the fire burns down we stick em on a forked stick through the belly flaps so that the inside is a little open. Then slowly toast em over the fire turning occasionally, like a marshmallow. When the skin is toasty crisp and starts to peel off then it is time to chow down. this works best on small to medium sized fish. Larger fish we open the belly a bit with twigs then lay them right on the grill.

Simple and tasty, with no cleanup and nothing to pack out. All you need is the fish and a stick!

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

I have always carried in my bk pack small packets of salt, pepper and lemon pepper seasoning. You may also try old bay seasoning for rabbit w/ a sprinkle of lemon pepper. Cook it over the fire the same way you do the fish. This takes longer but I hear its good. That's my brothers favorite.
    Grandmas idea makes the best tasting fish. mmmmmmm...fish sticks
    If its tourist season.....Can we shoot em??
    Simple pleasures for simple minds

Tony chachere's
    Goes good on anything.....
    God Created Man Samuel Colt Made Them Equal

I usually cary a packet of garlic, salt, and pepper it a zip lock bag. I find that works well for just about any thing. Just mix to taste and cook as best you can. Though you may want to stay away from any reds at that point.
    I have always had a hard time cooking fish on rocks the fish sticks to the rock and creats a huge mess.

Quote Originally Posted by daughterbear View Post

Grandmas idea makes the best tasting fish. mmmmmmm...fish sticks
    Fish Sticks! Now that is funny
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

Thanks for the good ideas everyone!

If you want to harvest small game or fish to augment your backpack food then you will need to carry extra gear to harvest said food items and extra gear to cook them as well as spices. That sort of flies in the face of your plan to go light. Not to mention the extra time you will spend trying to hunt these things up and cook them. Most people who have the same idea as you quickly abandon them. Lots of guys talk about eating ptarmigan on a sheep hunt. I don't know one who has. Fish might be an option, but why bother on a trip as short as Res. Trail?

I would recomend packing some clearified butter and using it to cook with, brush down your fish filets with it and add some garlic salt. You can grill it or fry it in a pan, it will turn out to be excellent. You can also pack some dehydrated onions and other herbs for a little more flavor without adding much weight.

Default Pan Fry Guy

I have always carried a ziplock bag with pancake flour (with salt and pepper) for pan frying and a small chunk of crisco. I did the Crest trail a few years ago and a fresh trout or grouse along the trail was well recieved after a week ouf mountian house. Just flour and fry in the crisco.