Thread: Help Me Decide Where to Hike this Weekend

Default Help Me Decide Where to Hike this Weekend

I am planning a day hike for a medium-sized group this weekend. Because there will be beginners and folks who are out of shape among us, I am looking for an easy to moderate difficulty trail in the Eagle River/Anchorage/Turnagain Arm area without extreme elevation gain/loss. I would prefer something no longer than five or six miles (round-trip) that leads someplace interesting, whether a landmark such as a lake or just a nice spot for lunch.

I could just flip through the 50 Hikes in Chugach State Park book until I find something, but I would prefer advice from you folks. Any suggestions?

Most trails to any landmarks are still covered with wet, rotten snow. Some vary in depth from bare dirt(mud) to a few inches of slush/snow to crotch deep and beyond. You are sort of limited as conditions arent ideal for the hike you described...im struggling to come up with a good one....Eklutna lake trail might be melted out?? You could hike as far as you want to go and break for lunch, flat walking compared to most of the other hikes around.

The hike from the east side of Potters Marsh to McHugh is a good one. It is thawed right now due to the south facing exposure, it's a wide well maintained trail, and it is relatively flat with just a few hills. It's one of my favorite first-hike-of-the-year trails due to how early it's open vs other trails, and it's a good conditioning trail.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Well, I've been out of town for a bit for some training, so I don't know what the snow levels are doing, but with all the nice weather you guys have been having, levels should be low. some suggestions:

1) Eagle River Nature Center. The Dew Lake (i think that is the name), is a nice little hike in. or hiking out to echo bend and backtracking the same way is nice. 3 miles out one way, will put you at echo bend right next to the eagle river.

2) Maybe someone can chime in with south fork conditions? (South fork of eagle river) if snow is melting fast there, just hiking out 2-3 miles would be nice. the nicer destination of eagle lake, etc is 5 miles out.

3) haven't hiked it, but lazy mountain in palmer?

4) arctic valley is nice as well. you can hike up tokle (sp?) creek drainage up to the saddle. for those that want to continue, hike up rendevous peak to your right if snow allows. arctic valley is a beautiful place.

5)powerline pass? pretty muddy right now i would imagine? i have never hiked it this time of year. anythoughts from others on this one?

good luck and have fun!

Southfork Eagle River and Powerline pass aren't usually good hikes until June. Southfork is shaded by Highland mountain and it takes longer for it to dry out. Powerline is higher elevation- it and Rabbit lake are probably still frozen. Just a guess.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.