Thread: Archery Class

Default Archery Class

We will be running an Archery Certification Class in Valdez on May 7th, 8th (6-8:30 PM) and the Proficiency on the 9th between 8-11 AM. Please call Prince William Sound Community College so we have an idea of the number of students.

Hope to see you guys and gals there.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default proficiency shoot

what does the proficiency shoot consist of? My wife's bow blew up on Saturday at the Bear shoot in the valley...

she borrowed a bow for the sunday portion and did okay with it...but we need to know ranges for sight in....

Is it all less than 30? Are they marked yards - can you use a rangefinder? Is it kill shots on 3-d targets or shoot the dot?

Thumbs up proficiency for certification

I took the proficiency in August of last year.

It consisted of, 4 targets, 2 shots on each target from different angles. One was from an elevated position.

You must get at least one kill shot on each of the targets, and a total of 5 kill shots out of 8 arrows.

The targets were 10 to 30 yards. You may use a range finder, but you may not share your distances with others.

The targets do not have orange spots where you need to hit, you must be familiar with the kill zones of the different animals. The field point go through the kill zone. I inspected each of the target before I shot because they did have the kill zones scribed on the targets but at distance I was not able to see them, so you have to know.

If you are familiar with your equipment and you can reliably hit your spot out to 30 yards, you will have no problem.

At the shoot, I saw some amazing things, borrowed bows, never shot before bows, one guy had a mix of different arrows, and the list goes one. It is those people that are disappointed on shooting day because they do not pass. If you are familiar with your equipment, and know what it does, and have practiced, it is easy.

A lot of people get very nervous about it. I made a deliberate point of trying not to be nervous as each person was there for the same purpose. I took my time, took a few deep breaths, and put the arrow where it needed to be. I passed, 1st try.

Unhappy Ranges

Although the ranges are unmarked, you may use a range finder. The above poster was correct on the shooting requirement. BUT, you do not need to pass the first time now. If you fail by 1 -2 shots we are allowed to coach or teach now to help you pass.

I am going to shoot too, to obtain my Alaskan card. I have a New York one currently. I was just out practicing and the "Y" on my drop away rest flew farther than the arrow it appears.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

I recently took the proficiency shoot, it was very easy and I am by no means an experienced archer, just started last summer. I got 8 out of 8, I think everyone at the shoot passed. I was never really nervous, used to shooting around people, and they had us in groups of only four people. As said you can use a range finder, if you don't have one you can borrow one from someone else (I let another guy borrow mine) as long as you don't share the information. The distances ranged from 10-28 yards, one shot standing, other kneeling, and had to shoot from an elevated "stand" on one target. Just practice, more practice, know your equipment, come prepared and than you should be getting a neat little blue IBEP card from ADF&G in the mail.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

my best advice, if you Do not already shoot out doors. take some time and start before you test. move your target around the brush and practice with it next to a tree, under a branch etc..let the breeze blow you will feel a lot more comfortable when you get to the test then those that stayed in doors at the range.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I agree with all the other posts that have taken the test already. One other thing worth practicing is the shot from the knees. They may put you in a spot where you need to shoot under some brush. Know before hand which knee to shoot from or just drop too both knees.
    I practiced by taking just 10 shots a day for 10 days. Varied the distances, the angles, and stances and aced it. It really is easy as long as you practice. Good luck!

Default shot

She shoots very good - is the current alaska state womens bow hunter class champion (20 yard spots)....She did well at the bear shoot out to 88 yards - and even hit the 102 yard snowman on 3rd arrow.

but having a new bow (someone elses)....isn't the best way to go...

I think that she is getting a new mathews Hyperlite this week...

Her old bow was a browning micro adrenaline - a good bow, but mostly a kid's bow.

What do I need to do to get certified if I am out of state. Our State (GA) does not require this test. We should though! I have been a avid archer for the last 24 years. I will comong up there in September. Any suggestions?

Default horse2292

Click on the link below, and find the rep for your state. Give them a call, they should be able to tell you when a class is available.

http://www.nbef.org/pdfs/ibepcontacts.pdf

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Thanks to everyone this has proved helpful I'll be shooting on the 8th in Wasilla and was curious what they would throw at us. Doesn't sound too bad. I think this certification is a good thing I wish Wyoming would implement it....