Thread: Polaris Overheating

Default Polaris Overheating

I have a 2005 Sportsman 500 HO and it is overheating after just few minutes of riding. When I start it, the wrench symbol usually comes on and once it gets warmed up it flashes "hot" on the ODO. The fan is not running properly. It comes on for a second then shuts off repeatedly. Has anybody else had this problem or have any idea which parts to start throwing at it?

First things first--are your radiator fins blocked with dried mud and grass? Try shining a light through from the fan side, and see how much light is visible from the front. You may have to remove the front fascia (front end piece with the headlights) in order to clearly see the radiator.

The past winter, I removed the radiator from my CanAm and soaked it for several hours to get all that gunk out of the fins.

The radiator is all cleaned out as is the fan. I'm pretty sure this is an electrical/control problem.

Temp switch.

I got mine bypassed and the fan is going through a toggle.

Default ECM?

When I bought my brand new 2005 Sportsman 500 it was doing the exact same thing before I even had 50 miles on it. I took it in and found out there was a recall for the Electronic Control Modules on those particular year models. Turns out my ECM was bad and the dealer replaced it under warranty. With the new ECM in place I never had the problem again. Long story short, have you had the ECM checked on it yet? Here's a link to the Polaris recall...

http://www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/prerel/prhtml05/05568.html

If the link doesn't work, just google "Polaris Industries Recall". There will be several links to choose from on the topic.

Hope this helps.
    Shannon

Tyrex,
    For what it's worth, here's the fan circuit testing procedure for a Polaris Rzr...

Fan Circuit Bypass Test
    1. Disconnect harness from coolant temperature sensor, on engine cylinder block head.
    2. With the transmission in park, turn the ignition key "ON". The fan should start running.
    3. If the fan does not run or runs slowly, check the fan motor wiring, ground, motor condition and mechanical relay for proper operation. Repair or replace as necessary. If the fan runs with the sensor harness disconnected, but will not turn on when the engine is not, check the coolant temperature sensor and connector terminals.

Coolant Temperature Sensor
    The coolant temperature sensor can be tested using an ohmmeter or voltmeter.
    1. With the engine temperature sensor at room temperature (around 68F), disconnect the harness connector.
    2. Sensor resistances should be as follows:
    * At 68F, resistance should be 2.5 k-0hms +/- 6%
    * At 212F, the resistance should be .186 ohms +/- 2%

Default We had the same problem on a Polaris

We took it in to Polaris twice. The first time they told us it was mud on the radiator and charged us $110 for that. Turned out they were wrong- it was the fan sensor. They got it right the second time.

My main hunting partner has the same machine and same problem. Did the recall, but still seems to overheat way too easy. Polaris says there is no problem, but I'd be highly unsatisfied if it was mine.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

The only way a person is going to keep mud and leaves out of the radiator is to put a screen in front of it. I made two screens they were very easy to make out of copper screening.

Default Polaris throttle

Not to steal the post, but I have a 2008 Sportsman 500 HO I just got a month ago brand new, 42 miles and 4.5 hours on it.. Anyway went to ride it this past sat, Fires up fine but when you release the throttle it dies.. So I went to where I am veiwing the tach on the display screen.. at 13-1400 rpm's it would die.. (It basically needed the idle adjusted), but with a EFI, their is no idle screw that I am aware of.. so I was puzzled.. I then got to thinking abuot the thumb throttle.. if I held it in just a tad it would idle fine.. as soon as I let go, it would kill.. So I popped the cover off the cover of the throttle controler and their is 2 wires, when they touch it kills the wheeler.. I just popped one out of the groove so when the throttle is released the other wire doesnt come foreward and touch the other.. I know its a temp fix, but ***? anyone else ever had this problem?

Default Throttle free play

On the popo's your supposed to have an 1/8" free play in the thumb lever. If it is too tight your machine will not idle..it will just kind of cut out. About three inches down from the throttle control there is a boot that goes over the throttle cable. This is your adjustment for free play. Peel the rubber back from the adjustment threads...loosen the jam nut and adjust to get 1/8" play at the thumb control....measure it with a ruler while depressing throttle. You are essentialy doing this when you slightly push the throttle and it idles....soon as you let go it dies. This should solve your problem
    In the Bush

Default More problems

I'm not to the point of troubleshooting the cooling problem as of yet as I can't even get the thing to start. I have no power to the key switch. I have replaced the battery and it has a good charge.

Does anybody know how power is distributed on these quads? Is there a fuse area that I'm not seeing or are there fuseable links off the starter solenoid? I assume the 2 red wires to the key switch are to be the power feed?

Default polaris

There is a relay under your front cover for the start to the key. It will look like a black bag that is seled. This sometimes get water in them and get caroded. You will know if this is the problem as soon as you cut open the black bag. If this is the proble you can replace them with one from NAPA or replace with fuse. If you use a fuse instead of relay carey more spare fuses. Hope this solves your problem

Quote Originally Posted by sr12345 View Post
    Tyrex,
    For what it's worth, here's the fan circuit testing procedure for a Polaris Rzr...

Fan Circuit Bypass Test
    1. Disconnect harness from coolant temperature sensor, on engine cylinder block head.
    2. With the transmission in park, turn the ignition key "ON". The fan should start running.
    3. If the fan does not run or runs slowly, check the fan motor wiring, ground, motor condition and mechanical relay for proper operation. Repair or replace as necessary. If the fan runs with the sensor harness disconnected, but will not turn on when the engine is not, check the coolant temperature sensor and connector terminals.

Coolant Temperature Sensor
    The coolant temperature sensor can be tested using an ohmmeter or voltmeter.
    1. With the engine temperature sensor at room temperature (around 68F), disconnect the harness connector.
    2. Sensor resistances should be as follows:
    * At 68F, resistance should be 2.5 k-0hms +/- 6%
    * At 212F, the resistance should be .186 ohms +/- 2%
    Sensor reads 1.5 kOhms @ ~ 65 degrees, the fan runs fine with the block sensor unplugged?

Default AKJaq

Thanks, I will check it out and adjust the throttle free play, We rode this weekend and it was doing great after I disconnected the one wire.. But Last night my wife put it in Low and gave it gas, it wasnt going anywhere so I guess she gave it more gas.. I looked back to see if she was behind me and All I saw was a cloud of blue greyish smoke comming form the engine. It smelt like rubber.. She shut it off as soon as she seen the smoke.. Man if it isnt one thing its another I guess.. I think she burned the belt up or something.. After letting it cool down we adtempted to drive it.. We made it about 10 feet and it was shaking, and not much power. So I had her shut it off and I towed her 12 miles back to the truck woth my Grizz. I pulled the plug on the CVT drive and their is no water in their.. We really never crossed any, but I wanted to check that first. Good thing its under warranty as it is a month old and had 71 miles on it. I am guessing she burned up the cvt drive belt. Instead of getting on the throttle slow then giving it, she gave it to much gas and I think it didnt grab, raising the rpm's just made it worst.. I freaking hate this machine..