Thread: Ok, name these Three.....

Default Ok, name these Three.....

My Sons and Neice there.
    My only hints are that they were all militry issue, and the Pistol on the Right side (barefeet) is NOT a Luger.~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Broomhandle mauser handgun, M39 finish mosin, luger pistol.

Ron

Default Hmmm....

Mauser broomhandle, Moisin, Lahti......and GOOD lookin' kids havin' fun!!!
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 04-27-2009 at 03:40. Reason: .

Shuks, that was Quick.

3 different guns, from 3 different countrys all used in Finland.

Broom handle Mauser, M-24 finn'd Mosin Nagant and Lahti Pistol.

The Broomhandle C-96 is a 7.63 mauser that has a nice inscription of name and Finnish district/unit # but with no Finnish property marks, so I bought it knowing it was a most likely a pesonally owned officers pistol. That was common in the Finish Army/Airforce/Navy ,and probly purchased after WW1 when they were an inexpensive pistol to pick up on the European market.

This M-91 Russian issued Rifle, bought or captured by Finnland in the 1917 civil war when they broke away from Russia, or a purchase from a country that captured it in WW1....or....Finn captured when Russia invaded and the Finns stopped them from taking over in what is known as "The Winter War"
    It has the Finnish Boxed SA stamp, as well as the "D" stamp that shows its usable with any 7.62X54R .
    As issued to a Finn soldat, its designation would be an M-24.
    It is very accurate.
    M-39 's were a design "upgrade" the Finns made with a Russian M-91 Mosin Nagant Action. They completely stripped the reciver and rebuilt them with all Finn parts. The pistolgripped three peice Birchstock, new sights and bands, side mounted slig and a Thicker barrel were the mods...almost like a Japanese 38 Arisaka blended into a Mosin.
    There were several modles and two main users, the Armed Forces and the Finnish Civil Guard, an active militia.
    M-24, M-27(Civil guard rifle) M-28(army version) m-28/30 with improved sights, M-39, with a better stock and sling set up. there were many subvariants, repairs and upgrades and the fact is the Finnish Armed Forces isseud ALL of these Mosin types in WWII. Guns were reworked as needed, so there were always improvements for those who needed them.
    The Finns belived in accuracy, and showed it was a factor, even against the Russian Mass's.

And yes, the Lahti...what a pistol! 9mm
    Looks like a Luger, but is not.Not a toggled action, but has a enclosed reciver that ejects out the right side, and has an excellarator so that the bolt has extra "umph" in extramly cold weather.
    Great "pointabilty" like the Luger ,though.

The Lahti was a design by Finnlands homegrown 'John Browning' Designer Amio Lahti, who designd Pistols, submachine guns , as the "Soumi" KP-31, the M-26 recoil operated light squad machinegun, a man portable 20mm "Lahti" semi automatic anti tank/personnel rifle and many gadgets that made life good for the Finn soldier.

~~LOL!!~~ so I might say I collect "Northern guns" mostly Finn, Swede, Norwiegn, Russian and an ever growing ammount of "Eskimo'd" surplus, from the ATG days..

Ok, I gotta look for coffee......

Good stuff there,kids and guns

Default different trigger

on the Finnish capture gun also, not that it helped that much.

Oh ya!
    If it wasnt just checked for accuracy and soundness,and issed like that, a new trigger was often the first step down the road to accuracy.
    The M-24 there has no modifycations at all. Some recived a higher front sigh, to bring the point of aim a foot or so down. Russian infantry were taught to aim at the belt buckel, and with teh bayonet fixxed the point of impact we lower. The Finns shot without a boyonett, and generally that raised the point of impact. Some rifles did, some didnt.

SAKO was the factory that worked rifles fo the finnish Civil Guard. The Civil Guard Rifles were purchased by individuals, and could be sent in to SAKO, for a fee, to have them updated and accurized. They rewoked them to a standard of 4-CM 5 shot groups at 100M.

I have been collecting them since the late 80's, but didnt shoot them much untill the mid 90's when 7.62X54R was redily and cheaply available.