Thread: .280 loads

Default .280 loads

I'm thinking of loading some barnes 150 or 160 grainers for my .280. does anyone have experience with this? i'm wondering about accuracy and performance. Are barnes really any better than sierra or nosler?

Quote Originally Posted by hot rod View Post
    I'm thinking of loading some barnes 150 or 160 grainers for my .280. does anyone have experience with this? i'm wondering about accuracy and performance. Are barnes really any better than sierra or nosler?
    I don't have any experience loading for the 280, but IMO the Barnes TSX bullets (the ones with the machined grooves around the perimeter) really are better than Sierra and Nosler. Accuracy and performance are outstanding. And the Nosler partitions aren't bad either...both are better than the Sierra's...just IMO, of course...
    A charge of Hodgdon's 4831, or Reloader 22 should do well in that 280...

Marshall/Ak

If you like penetration you will like barnes. Nosler now makes the E-tip? a solid copper bullet as well. This would be to compete with the barnes crowd. One pro to shooting barnes is that they hold 100% retention, therefore you can shoot a lighter bullet and get the same penetration as heavier jacketed bullets.

I have recovered some Nosler Accubond bullets from animals and weighed them at about 70-80% retention, barnes are always 98-100% (if you find them at all!)

Depending on what you are shooting, you could probably shoot 140's and get the same performance. The MRX also has pretty good BC.

I have also never had a problem with accuracy shooting any barnes bullet.

Hope this helps.

I just tried some 150 gr TSX's in my .280-Rem for the first time last week. I used RL-19 and got an average velocity of 2814 fps with decent accuracy at the Barnes published max load. Best accuracy was with 1/2 grain less. I tried 1/2 grain over max and got a slightly sticky extraction with the third shot so stopped.

thanks a lot guys... good info

I normally run the 120 & 140 TSX's out of my .280AI, for the extra speed, but I came into a couple of boxes of 160gr TSX's on the cheap, and they really shoot. I haven't had a chance to poke holes in any critters yet, but I don't think the TSX will disappoint.

Edited to add:
    I've gotten great accuracy with RL-17 & 22, IMR & H4831, and VV N-165. RL-22 and N-165 gave the highest velocities.