Thread: backstop foam

Default backstop foam

anybody know where I can find foam like they use at the ranges?would like to make one that is 48"x48"

Default foam stop

I did this search on the internet last summer. Had the same idea and found some companies through the Google search and cross reference. But.... when I found out what it would cost for a similar size, I stopped. I asked the owner of a local range and he said his new back stops were super expensive. I liked them as you could easily pull an arrow out. I deleted all my finds, but just search. His suggestion was a sheeps wool bag. This is what the farmers force the wool into for shipping after the sheep are sheared. The good bags and full are about .16 to .26 cents a pound and range in the 300 to 400 lb. class. Not too bad and he said could be usable for a long time. They are over 50 inches face square. I did not get on and cannot attest to just how well it works. I shoot the block.
    good luck

Cardboard is another option. If you have access to a large amount, cut them in strips about 10-12" deep by however wide you want the target. Then, stack them flat to the height you want the target. Put a 2x6 both top and bottom of the stack with 2-3" overhang. Put some pressure on the stack by running all thread between the boards and tightening them down.

You can cut stacks of cardboard with a skil saw to go faster. When the cardboard starts to get shot out, just loosen the all thread and replace the damaged sheets.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

I went to Alaska Industrial Hardware and they have a burlap bag 3'x4' after stuffed. I asked them if they get pallets that are shrunk wrapped with plastic and they did. I as them to save me some and I stuffed the bag full. At 8 yards pulling a 55# my shafts only go in about 3-4". Once it gets shot up I just get a new bag (about $8) and pull it over the first.

Hope this helps.

Default Same

I did the same thing as George for my paper sheep target but used old blue tarps. still works but I did snap a couple of field points off in the stuff.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Outdoors?

I saw a suggestion illustrated once: 3 bales of straw

[XXX]
    [XXX]
    [XXX]

Prob best outdoors. Wish I had room.

I got two bales of hay behind my burlap bag and a carpet hanging behind them.

Next time I think that just 3 bales that I wrapped in shrink wrap then drap the carpet over will work fine for me as I am just shooting a recurve @ 55#.

George

Default With a stick bow

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    I saw a suggestion illustrated once: 3 bales of straw

[XXX]
    [XXX]
    [XXX]

Prob best outdoors. Wish I had room.
    With a stick bow maybe. But usually the hay or straw tears up the fletching after only a few hundred shots and you are shooting thru it.

Vietnam - June 70 - Feb. 72
    Cancer from Agent Orange - Aug. 25th 2012
    Cancer Survivor - Dec. 14th 2012

Default Agreed

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    With a stick bow maybe. But usually the hay or straw tears up the fletching after only a few hundred shots and you are shooting thru it.
    I set up a bail of hay and am shooting through (when I am on target) after about 300 shots, I moved the paper plate and doing good for another 300 or so...

cheers

Default Dude, you're awesome!

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    I got two bales of hay behind my burlap bag and a carpet hanging behind them.

Next time I think that just 3 bales that I wrapped in shrink wrap then drap the carpet over will work fine for me as I am just shooting a recurve @ 55#.

George
    Dang George,

My arms are whining after a few shots on my compound at 54... Good job.

Hey Ed,
    How was your first stint up North?

Until yesterday when I took my target down to move back to my old apt. I was shooting 12-20 arrows 2-3 times a day. Now moving and getting ready to get to the lodge has put this on hold. I am sending a 35# fiberglass recurve to play with on the island this summer. I am looking forward to hooking up with some traditional shooters this fall.

Hope you work goes well this summer.

TTFN,

George

Default Great!

George,

My first hitch was great, but long... I go back up on Friday for 2 weeks.

You should be albe to shoot well in the wind if you practice much at the lodge! I have been getting around 50-100 shots per day while at home. I have about used up my bail of hay, so I am hoping that SW gets a new supply of either blocks or bags. AIH is a great tip.

when do you fly over? Will you be home in July? If you have a a day from July 1-9 or 25-31, let me know and we'll soak some bait.

Ed

Default About shooting at hay bales...

Quote Originally Posted by Daveinthebush View Post
    Shooting at a foam block in front of the bales has worked OK - most hits hitting the block.
    On misses though- when arrows stuck the hay bales, I noticed two occasional problems:

1. Bad for vanes/fletching: Shoot throughs can bend up the vanes... like Daveinthebush says...
    2. How to epoxy your embedded arrow in a hay bale: When it's cold out - below zero - arrows can get real stuck. My bales are uncovered and must collect some moisture...which freezes inside the bale. A penetrating arrow seems to cause a brief local melt, which by the time I finished shooting, then freezes again, gluing the arrow in place. Not even my grip arrow puller would dislodge it. Waiting for Spring.

Quote Originally Posted by JFLOAT View Post
    anybody know where I can find foam like they use at the ranges?would like to make one that is 48"x48"
    Hanging backstop: These look a bit spendy, but great functionally: https://www.bupsports.com/buy.cfm. A section of carpet might work as well.

Homasote? I ran across a reference using "Homasote" siding material for a backstop (post#12 - http://www.archerytalk.com/vb/showthread.php?t=828530), but a). Homasote doesn't seem to be available at Lowe's or Home Depot in Anchorage (SBS might), and b). Haven't found anyone who's tried it.