Thread: motorized cat trailering

Default motorized cat trailering

Just wondering, how many cataraft owners out there that run motors, trailer there rafts with the motor attached? Do you use any special techniques to reduce the chances of damaging your transom like transom savers ect? I purchased a new (heavy) 4 stroke last year and I don't want to have to take it on and off every time I'm going to use it. I figured that I would just put it on and leave it on all summer for Kenai runs. In the past I used a 15hp 2 stroke and just transported it back and forth from the bed of the truck to the boat when I needed it, but this new motor is 40 lbs. heavier and I realize now that my back needs to last me a few more years.

I run a 9.9 Honda on my 18 foot long AIRE Leopard. I leave it on a 12 foot long snowmobile trainer. With my motor locked in the down position, the motor simply hangs off either the back or the front of the trailer. I strap the boat down so I have 3 or 4 inches clear between the motor and the trailer. With the motor forwrd, I just crab the raft right or left a few inches so the motor stays away from center tongue, where the tongue meets the front of the trailor.

Loading a 200 (?) pound raft with frame, along with the 103 (?) pound motor is a royal pain by myself, but there is generally sombody at the upper Skilak boat ramp that will help me load with a simply request.

This has worked well for me for my 9 or 10 Anchorage to Kenai River weekends per summer, for the last 10 years. I'm sure others here on the forum will have some other great suggestions.

Dennis
    AK TAGS

I have a 9.9 Merc that I use on my dingy. I'm loaning it to a friend for his Aire Cataraft. My suggestion to him is to transport with the outboard in the truck. It only weighs 85 pounds and is relatively easy to get in and out of the truck. My wife and I get it from our sailboat to the dingy and back, so.....

I just did a bunch of work on my trailer last week. It's a 8X10 snow machine trailer. I made up a roller and welded it to the back, mounted a post and winch to the tongue, and also extended the tongue 3' to allow me to pull the raft up further onto the trailer. My raft is also an 18' Aire Leopard, but I'm now running a 20hp Yamaha 4 stroke that weighs about 120 lbs. I have no problem loading the boat up on the trailer (by myself) with the modifications I've done to the trailer. My only concern is pulling it down Skilak Lake Loop Rd. with the motor attached. I just don't want to damage anything.

Eagle River, Alaska, United States, 108264132534659, Eagle River, Alaska

I have a 15HP Suzuki 4 stroke that I leave mounted (clamped & bolted) on my 16' AIRE when I'm pulling it on my snowmachine trailer. I lock it in the up position and I bungee it to the side so it can't move. It seems to be just fine that way.

I have a Leopard and a 9.8 Tohatsu. I trailer locally with the motor on, but I don't like the way the weight of the motor bounces the raft around, so I take it off if I am going more than 20 or 30 miles. Frankly, it is pretty fast and easy to put it on the transom when we put in, and easier to load the boat without it on at the takeout.

Doug

I've got a 9.9 Merc Bigfoot on my 18' Leopard. I leave the motor on the boat, load it backwards on my 10' snowmachine trailer, with the motor up. I also run a motorcycle strap from the lower unit to a frame bar directly above it to hold it up and keep it from bouncing agains the lock pin.