Thread: Traveler w/ motor?

Default Traveler w/ motor?

I had seen some videos with a aire traverler with a motor mounted on it and can't find it now. Does anyone know where it can be seen? Who here has one and what size motor have you put on it? Can you share the reasonings for your choice. I'm planning on putting in an order for one and can't quite decide what motor to go with. Any thoughts on the matter would be greatly appreciated.

Are you talking about a standard traveler (double ender) or the power traveler (square stern)(I dont think this is currently in production)?

Default traveler

No I'm not talking about the power traveler. It was the canoe that was under power and they were scooting pretty well with them. I'm getting the setup to get a catacanoe put together eventually. I want to power the one canoe as well.

I was told in early winter that they are no longer in production. Have you heard anything diferrent?

Default misunderstanding ?

Quote Originally Posted by slow reflection View Post
    I was told in early winter that they are no longer in production. Have you heard anything diferrent?
    Not sure what you are really talking about. I am asking about the aire traveler canoe, not the power traveler. I did see a post were someone stated that the power traveler was out of production as well but someone had just contacted aire and was able to get one that they had left over still at the factory and he also stated the they may have a couple more left.

I'm looking for a video that I watched recently of 2 guys running traveler canoes with motors on them and now I can't find it and want to look at it again. I'm also wanting to converse with anyone who had done this. Any help would be appreciated.

Eagle River, Alaska, United States, 108264132534659, Eagle River, Alaska

Default Youtube anyone...

Here is a youtube video of a couple of guys using motors on Aire Traveler canoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cH7rFJxBMQ

Enjoy

I have not seen this video before but I do have the same set up. I have two travelers that I can set up as a cata-canoe with oars or motor, or individually with oars or motor, or as the standard canoe with paddles. I have a older 2hp johnson. If you plan on using the traveler alone with the moter I would advise on a smaller lightweight moter. The moter mounts to the side and if the motor is to heavy without anything in the canoe it might flip. I have seen recently were some are mounting the motor off the back. I think you would still have the same problem with an empty canoe. With two adults, one traveler, and motor I would estimate that it will go about 6 mph. At 6 mph the water is just starting to come in through the self bailing holes. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by Legospam View Post
    Here is a youtube video of a couple of guys using motors on Aire Traveler canoes.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2cH7rFJxBMQ

Enjoy
    Thanks ever so much for finding this. I don't understand why I was having so much trouble finding it. THANKS!!!

I have not seen this video before but I do have the same set up. I have two travelers that I can set up as a cata-canoe with oars or motor, or individually with oars or motor, or as the standard canoe with paddles. I have a older 2hp johnson. If you plan on using the traveler alone with the moter I would advise on a smaller lightweight moter. The moter mounts to the side and if the motor is to heavy without anything in the canoe it might flip. I have seen recently were some are mounting the motor off the back. I think you would still have the same problem with an empty canoe. With two adults, one traveler, and motor I would estimate that it will go about 6 mph. At 6 mph the water is just starting to come in through the self bailing holes. Hope this helps.
    Do you know what your 2 hp weighs? I was thinking that the 2hp would be a little underpower for a loaded canoe. I was looking into the Mercury 3.5 4 stroke and it only weighs 37 lbs. I would really like to talk with you about it.

Please check pm.

Thanks
    Tom

HTML Code:
    Do you know what your 2 hp weighs
    My 2hp jonson weighs about 27 lbs. I think 3.5 hp 37 lbs will be fine. I think even the 6 hp 55lbs would work all though you may have to put a small amount of counter ballast weight on if the boat was empty.

Default just a thought

HTML Code:
    Do you know what your 2 hp weighs
    My 2hp jonson weighs about 27 lbs. I think 3.5 hp 37 lbs will be fine. I think even the 6 hp 55lbs would work all though you may have to put a small amount of counter ballast weight on if the boat was empty.
    Not sure what motor your talking about that is 3.5 and 37lbs. I found out that there suppose to be a weight mistake and that the weight it really 41 lbs. At least that is what one of the Tohatsu dealers told me, "that it's a misprint and they weigh the same. I found this interesting article about some small outboards that is worth the read. I think that I may post it as a seperate thread for more disemenation. http://ezinearticles.com/?Choosing-a...ghy&id=2008077

I'm really tring to track down a 3.3 hp mercury 2 stroke at 28 lbs. I think would be the perfect happy medium.