Thread: SAKO Rechambering Question

Default SAKO Rechambering Question

The issue I have is this:
    I bought a "in the works" barreled action chambered in 7mmSTW with a stainless steel select match Shilen barrel. The factory original barrel was chambered in 30/06. The bolt face was opened up for a belted magnum. I had the rifle Falcon coated (similar to teflon coating), and I converted a High Tech Sako stock to fit this older AIII action.

The rifle looks great, but when I went to work up a load for OAL (which is no problem I have almost a 1/8" clearance in the mag box), I tried to load 3 rounds in the magazine and I could not get them to stay down. After the 3rd round was loaded into the magazine, just by "bumping" the rifle all the rounds would come straight up out of the magazine.

Does anybody know..... What needs to be done to a Sako AIII originally chambered in 30/06 to be converted to a belted magnum? Is it something as simple as a new follower I would need, or is it something much more.

Please help if you have done a similar project to a SAKO AIII or know of someone who has. The rifle shoots and functions fine with just one round in the magazine, but if you want more then one round it is a no go.

This is the first Sako project I have done like this, but I have done well over 20 Remington 700's chambered in standard rounds and converted them to belted magnums and have never had a problem. Thanks for any help you can give!!!!!

First, I would suggest you take it back to the smith who did the work. If that is not possible I would take the action out of the stock and make the magazine box is seating flush against the action. Sometimes if the box does not seat flush it will cause the rounds to pop up like you described.

I am not very familar with Sako's but it is surprising you have enough clearance for these rounds.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    it is surprising you have enough clearance for these rounds.
    X2

I'm amazed you can fit 7 STW rounds into a standard-length magazine. The 8mm Rem Mag (parent cartridge) is a terribly long case requiring a true magnum-length action to house it. This incidentally is one of the many reasons it was never really popular.

I think an even greater problem in your case though is the difference in case diameter. A magazine with follower and feed lips designed for the .473" 30-06 family won't function very well with a .535" magnum-family cartridge. Think of it as trying to shoot 40 S&W ammo from a magazine designed for 9mm. It might hold 'em in, but they won't feed very well.

I agree 1st the magazine box had to be extended not to hard to do but opening up the rails wow that is alot... I also think most rifle chambered in the ultra mags only ift 2 cases in the magaizne anyhow. I bet the rails were opened to much if this is the case then it is going ot tak esome work to fix it. But to the question how in the heck did they get that case to work....

Sounds like the mag is too nerrow to let them stack like they need to. This would make the force from the follower spring upward instead of sideways holding them under the lip till fed forward. Not an easy fix I don’t think. The only possible easy fix I can think of is close the top of the mag up like a single stack, but I doubt it would work.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well I think I added confusion and said ultra mag myself, when it is the STW case that he is using... The std belted magnum will work in the 06 magazine, the rails half to be opened up and the gunsmith has to know what they are doing as my friend In Oregon said a little at a time when you are opening the rails up to feed a magnum case. Also my buddy showed me how to extend the magazine box as well so one can get longer cases in a std action... But that is asking alot for the STW case which as we all know is based off og the 8 remington mag case... I would really like to look at this rifle in person myself.

I've been out of town and didn't find this thread until recently, I think I have some info that is useful but you're getting good advice from others. I've made about forty custom calibered guns on Sako actions. I like Sakos and the A series are my favorites. The A-III is the slimest and trimest of the '06 length guns and make a good light weight rifle, here's the problem.

The magazine is/was too short but the box can be lengthened some, the action is shorter in throw than the A-V and will likely need to be lengthened. The bolt stop modified, to allow a longer stroke, I've seen that done.

The A-V action is the same for the 30-06 family as for the 375 H&H family. An A-V action with a magnum follower will work without modification. I made a 7 STW, a 8mm Rem mag and a couple of wildcats on an A-V action that was a 338 Win mag. There is lots of room in the A-V magazine. Also do not modify the rails on your A-III. The only change needed is to use a belted mag follower, if the box is lengthened (an A-V magazine box would work better) this will allow them to feed. The '06 follower has a hump that is wider and won't allow the larger case to rest at the bottom of the magazine (it's up on the hump?). I've made one A-III into a standard length magnum caliber (was a 30-06 made into a 308 Norma) it held three down. The A-V action will hold four belted mags down and five 30-06 rounds. They do have different followers. I have some bottom metal, magazine boxes and followers for the A-IV and the A-V. The A-IV metal will fit the A-III screw pattern and the A-IV is/was always a magnum action (that's what it was made for, the magnum version of the A-III) even though some 30-06 class calibers were made on the A-IV actions.

Quote Originally Posted by sheephunteralaska View Post
    The issue I have is this:
    I bought a "in the works" barreled action chambered in 7mmSTW with a stainless steel select match Shilen barrel. The factory original barrel was chambered in 30/06. The bolt face was opened up for a belted magnum. I had the rifle Falcon coated (similar to teflon coating), and I converted a High Tech Sako stock to fit this older AIII action.

The rifle looks great, but when I went to work up a load for OAL (which is no problem I have almost a 1/8" clearance in the mag box), I tried to load 3 rounds in the magazine and I could not get them to stay down. After the 3rd round was loaded into the magazine, just by "bumping" the rifle all the rounds would come straight up out of the magazine.

Does anybody know..... What needs to be done to a Sako AIII originally chambered in 30/06 to be converted to a belted magnum? Is it something as simple as a new follower I would need, or is it something much more.

Please help if you have done a similar project to a SAKO AIII or know of someone who has. The rifle shoots and functions fine with just one round in the magazine, but if you want more then one round it is a no go.

This is the first Sako project I have done like this, but I have done well over 20 Remington 700's chambered in standard rounds and converted them to belted magnums and have never had a problem. Thanks for any help you can give!!!!!
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?