Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Share with us your current small game pistol and why you like/dislike it.

Default Share with us your current small game pistol and why you like/dislike it.

Hello members,
    I'll start this new thread by stating that I use a single six 17 chambered for 17 HMR. The trigger has been brought down to two pounds, has pachmyer target grips, a nikkon monarch scope and the game points are what I use. Although the accuracy isnt all that great with it....overall it's a decent pistol. Although I would prefer a Smith and Wesson 17 or the taures 17.....I'm pretty much married to this pistol because of the money and effort I put into building it from new. The pistol is actually a little dangerous and here is why: If you don't religiously clean the pistol after 50 or more rounds.....it builds dangerous pressure that is enough to split the shoulders of the cases! I have sometimes felt shards of brass hit me in the face.....which reminds me to never target practice without ballistic eye-wear. The small bore, the cone, and the cylinder become easily fouled EVERY time I shoot past 50 shots. I kind of wish I would have gotten a 22 mag single six......but oh well. It has been a great pistol when Ive learned this quirky thing regarding it's constant cleaning due to the small bore. Man.....I really hope someone gives a field rep. regarding the Taures Raging Hornet......I've always wanted one of those in the worst way!

I have two they are both S&W Model 17. One I reamed out to .22 Magnum. they are both 8 3/8" Barrels. Target Trigger, Target Hammer, and they came with super crisp, no creep triggers. Even Freedom Arms could not top the S&W Model 17. Can you tell I love the M-17

I use a Ruger Single Six 22lr/22mag and have for 25 years. I almost never use the mag cylinder as it is less accurate and slower velocity from my gun for some reason. I suspect slower rifle powder is the reason but it's just a guess. Lately I have been coveting a Ruger Mark 1/2/or3 22lr since they are more accurate and much less loud to the shooter. I just use open adjustable sights and Iím good to go out to 100 feet or more on small game off hand. I like CCI Mini Mag hollow point 22lr best in it and my 1022 also, hot little 22 round.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Default Another S&W

S&W Model 63, Stainless .22-32 Kit Gun. Four inch barrel, J frame square butt, adjustable sights. One of the most accurate little .22's I've ever owned, but a tad small for target work. Small enough to put in an inside pocket if needed, but ya never know it's on the belt, either. Put a set of Pachmayr round butt J frame grips on it after carving out the inside to accomodate the square butt, took up very little room, but also increased the grip enough to make it much more useable. Gun's just too light to hold steady, so a good rest is a help, but gotta be careful of knockin' bark off trees or kicking up dirt or snow into my face with it.
    Can't seem to get the Single Six to shoot as well with either cylinder, and the wife's Bearcat is just out and out too stinking small to use.
    We got one of the little SIG .22 semi autos in the other day, a Mosquito or some such, and a nice looking piece it is, but not nearly as versatile as a revolver when it comes to ammunition choices. Same-same with the little Walther......
    I've also been known to carry a 4" S&W Model 15 with a variety of .38 Special handloads. Really quite a bit more versatile than usually given credit for, and a bit more effective than the .22 on bigger varmints. Gotta be careful not to get a shot into the edible portions of something I want to put in the pot with it, though. There's a little 2 1/2" Model 66 S&W that is proving to shoot well, also, and could broaden the choices of ammunition to include .357 Mag loads......

Angry Small game handgun

.22 Colt Woodsman. As accurate as any man can hold and easy on the hip. No new fangled stuff for an old dawg.

Browning Buckmark 4" camper model .22 LR. Accurate and functions great. The spruce chickens don't like it one bit.

Ruger MK 3 Hunter. I'm in the process of replacing the sear which weill bing down the horrendous 8lb pull to a nice and crisp 2 1/2 lb.

Love this one...and replaced the HiViz sights with a custom crafted 1/16th gold dot.

The squirrels around here won't like it at all.

Default small game pistols

I have two pistols that I use for small game. The first is a browning buckmark camper. I had a red dot scope on it, but it made it difficult to carry, so now I just use open sights on it. The second one is a single six in .32 H&R. That thing is just plain fun to shoot. With a 90grn SWC, and 3grns of W231, it is a bunny killer.

Jake
    All the romance of trout fishing exists in the mind of the angler and is in no way shared by the fish.

Default Browning

Buckmark camper. Easy to pack, shoots straight, low maintenance. Its a grouse killin machine.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Plain Jane Ruger MKII, it's as accurate as I can shoot. I found the best ammo is Federal. This is the fourth MKII I've owned and I swear I end up bleeding every time I clean it! Love the gun, hate stripping it!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

My Old Ruger Single Six, 22 LR only, blued with a 5.5" barrel.

I don't have a Mag. cylinder, and I guess that's OK. You lose a lotta velocity with a short barrel in 22 Mag.

I like 22 Mag. in a rifle, but the ammo is gittin spensive, when you can even find it.

This is an early gun, Old Model, never modified, that I got in 1961 or 62. It doesn't have adjustable sights, except you can tap the rear sight left or right in the dovetail.

I broke the trigger, way back then practicing fast draw, and when I replaced it myself, couldn't afford otherwise, I managed to do a good job.

I bagged Spruce Hens, and lotsa Rabbits with it in days gone by. I usta shoot if better than I do now.

It doesn't look like much, because the bluing is worn. I put a dab of fingernail polish on either side of one cylinder to mark the place that I leave empty, and line it up to the barrel, for safety when I carry it.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I've got an H&R in .32 S&WLong with a 4" bbl. Love that gun with wadcutters. I also use it trapping, using the shorter .32S&W's for more sure ignition than a .22 and quieter.
    Dan

Thompson Contender .410/45 with 10" barrel. Should get "ptarmigan slayer" engraved on it. Does a number on the birds inside 25 yrds. Plus if I take the choke out, I can thump some bigger critters as well with the 45. But I guess this might not count as a small game pistol???

Worst money I dropped on a firearm! S&W M22A.
    It fails to fire 50% of the time
    It fails to extract 70% of the time.
    This it true with any brand of ammo all of the time.
    On the rare occasion that it does extract it won't feed the next round in when it is below freezing. I am also not thrilled with the large front blad sight. It makes it pretty tough to head shoot birds at any distance.

I have been meaning to send it back to Smith but haven't done the research on how to pack it up yet. For the time being I am having a blast with my sons little Rossi 20 gauge. It is CHEAP and it breaks down and stows in a backpack easily to take out on the sled. Did I mention that the Rossi fires every time I pull the trigger?

A Ruger MK II, very accurate handgun and my wifes favorite. I've been trying to convince here I/we need another one.

My wife gave me this one this weekend. Ruger 22/45 Mark III, I put 240 rounds through it first time out yesterday in about 45 minutes without a problem. Its more accurate then I can shoot and will reck havoc ont he small game population this fall.

Lujon,
    If that pistol says: Made in Houlten, Maine.......yeah, I bet it does jam! My aunt worked at the Houlten plant......they hire some winners there! My aunt used to be the craziest party chick you'd ever see. I could just picture her on a Monday morning....completely hung over, after an entire weekend of bonfire parties at the river..........putting YOUR pistol together

I have the nickel Browning Buckmark, sweet little shooter, open sights, and very easy to carry. I also have a TC Encore with a 15" bull barrel in a 22-250 topped off with a 4 power Leupold scope, supper accurate as far as you can see with the scope and probably further, it far out shoots my capabilities, not a great carry gun though. I generally use it for predator hunting or just target shooting..

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    Lujon,
    If that pistol says: Made in Houlten, Maine.......yeah, I bet it does jam! My aunt worked at the Houlten plant......they hire some winners there! My aunt used to be the craziest party chick you'd ever see. I could just picture her on a Monday morning....completely hung over, after an entire weekend of bonfire parties at the river..........putting YOUR pistol together
    That makes me feel soooo much better about the prospect of getting it working right. Oh I do remember what I like about the little pistol, It takes down extremely easy! The only way to get one simpler to clean is to go w/ a wheel gun or a single shot!

An integrally suppressed Ruger Mark II pistol. Easy on the ears and doesn't readily spook the ptarmigan flock into flight. The drawback is that the barrel is a little longer for carrying and the debris from the dirty 22 LR rounds blows back into the action requiring stripping and cleaning about every 80-100 rounds.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast