Thread: Sea Anchor...

Default Sea Anchor...

What is a sea anchor used for and do any of you guys use them? I have a couple that were in a used boat and I am going to toss 'em cuz I don't think I have a use for them. What do you think? Anybody use 'em???

THEY ARE USED TO SLOW THE BOAT DOWN FOR TROLLING IF YOU DONT HAVE A KICKER OR A TROLLING GEAR ..........MAYBE SOMEONE ON THE FORUM CAN USE ONE .........
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Sea anchors can also be used off the bow to slow yor drift and keep you into the seas during times of trouble. Try a google search to learn more.

If your going to toss them, toss 1 my way. I have never used one, but I'd put one on board just in case.

i had a large one custom built and have used them for years in various boats. halibut fishing, drifting, slows drift and points boat as to it moving up and down front to back and not side to side. I don't get sea sick as easy.

also good in emergency situations as previously stated
    RETIRED U.S.A.F. CAPT.; LIFETIME MEMBER NRA; LIFETIME MEMBER ALASKA BOWHUNTER ASSOC.
    MASTER BOWHUNTER EDUCATION INSTRUCTOR; MEMBER UNITED BLOOD TRACKERS; POPE & YOUNG MEASURER

Smile Sea Anchor

I could use one. I was just shopping for one at Cabela's catalog. Where are you located?

Mike

I know this place at the end of the road that makes them, stronger than any china made (cabellas) product. A few more bucks but** when you figure out why you cant get on step the troll drogue is still in one piece.
    http://nomaralaska.com/fisheries.htm
    Attached Images Attached Images

NOMAR MAKES AWESOME PRODUCTS THATS FOR SURE AND THEY STAND BEHIND THEIR WORK..........BESIDES ITS ONLY MONEY
    BONEYARDBAITS THE BEST HALIBUT, ROCKFISH GRUBS ON THE PLANET....''06'' WORLD RECORD LINGCOD ''08'' HOMER HALIBUT DERBY WINNER''. BOTH FISH CAUGHT WITH BONEYARDBAIT GRUBS WWW.BONEYARDBAITS.COM

Thanks for the info guys...I guess I should keep one on the boat and fiddle with it so I can see how it benefits my drift.

Default Survival

Drift anchor would be a better term than sea anchor I would think. The drift anchor is for that exactly -fishing. The sea anchor would be for when you are seriously off shore and your boat is powerless, no motor, no sail. The anchor would need to be very large, (there is a boat to anchor size ratio) in order for it to work properly. It goes off the bow, way out on a line, unfurls like a parachute and points the bow directly into on coming waves. Without it you become 'beam' to the seas and face capsizing. Every ocean boat should have when in there safety arsonal, but most don't.
    Old fisherman back in the day used the fishing gear (nets) as the drag/parachute. If I every was in a pickle requiring a 'sea anchor' to keep from capsizing, the bimini, seat cushsions, buckets, cooler, tarp, etc, all get tied to dock lines would become my sea anchor. Save your regular anchor/rode for dropping when you get close to land.

Default Thanks meyers

I appreciate the details of the explanation. Question.. if you mount it to the bow, how does it point the bow into the oncoming waves. it would seem that it would pull the bow away from the waves, putting them coming at the stern. No?

The wind will be blowing from the same direction the waves are coming. With the wind pushing the boat downwind, and the sea anchor tied to the bow, creating a drag, the bow will be turned into the wind, and into the waves.

As you think about this, remember that waves move through the water; the water itself isn't really moving all that much (although there will be some wind driven surface current). So, putting the sea anchor into the water creates a drag as the wind pushes the boat downwind. And if the sea anchor is tied to the bow, the bow gets turned into the wind and waves.

Hope this helps.

Here is what I have on my boat.

http://www.seaanchor.com/seaanchor.htm

There is a picture on this page with it deployed. When I bought it I remember seeing that they had a couple of videos on there about how they worked.

Jim

I had the unfortunate experience of having a dead engine, not enough anchor rode to reach the bottom, and rough enough seas to make life not so good. Our boat floats abeam the seas when totally adrift and you could not stand up we were getting thrown around so much. Worse, we were being blown towards a rocky shoreline.

Scrambling around, we fashioned a sea anchor out of a tarp and some rope. It work wonderfully. Pointed the bow into the waves so the boat wasn't getting thrashed as bad, and slowed our drift towards the rocks considerably.

I now carry a sea anchor and a lot more anchor rode.