Thread: PA-14 vs PA-18

Default PA-14 vs PA-18

Would like to know how a 14 compares to a 18 with similar weights and mods in terms of performance. Are the wings, gear and tail the same?
    Also how is a 14/150 with floats? Is the rigging the same as the 18?
    Thanks for your help...

All PA-14s Cub Family Cruiser were born as underpowered planes. They required all the Mods to make them Alaskan.

I have never flown a PA-14 with a 150 horse engine (they were born with 108-115 hp only) all the PA-14s I have flown on wheels and Floats have been 180 hp. They have also been highly modified. No two ever being the same.

That Said, the 180 horse PA-14s take a little longer to get off the water than a 180 horse PA18 Super Cub. Since I am 6'1 and 208 pounds they are also not as wide as I wish they were when flying next to a guy who is almost my size. HOWEVER, they sure as heck have more interior room than a PA-18 ever thought about having.

In lakes where we have measured the take-off runs severa times, the 180 Horse PA-14s with two guys and gear gets off the water just about where my 95 horse PA-11 gets off the water. About 20 to 30% more distance than a hot PA-18 or Husky.

Theiir is a IA in Anchorage named Steve Bryant who is a good source to look over a PA-14 as a pre-buy. His business is called Jakes Aircraft after his dad. he builds stretched Pacers with PA-14 type wings called THE PRODUCER.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

There are some great mods out there for pa 14's and pa12's that make them great performers but they are still not 18's. I have a 180 horse 18 with stock wings that I have been flying for years. I would guess it stalls just under 40 mph and is a great performer. I bought a pa12 last fall and just love it . It has 180 hp extended wings with extended flaps and ailerons and square tips and big square tail feathers. It has every mod you can put on a 12 and I think it even out performs my 18. It is still fling at 27 mph. It is nice and roomy with lots of elbow room and I can find nothing wrong with it. But with all that said it is not a cub, you have to lean over to look out the window on each side. You wear a cub, they feel light and nothing flys like a cub not even a Husky.

Let's assume a level playing field. A 12, a 14, and an 18 all with the same horsepower and the same tires. 95% of the guys who fly Cubs wouldn't see much of a performance difference. The 5% who would recognize the difference are the guys who operate on the STOL edge and nothing beats a Cub for that type of flying. But for the rest of us? Some will proclaim the Cub is better flying, better feeling, and just plain better, but I know some 12 operators who can lap most 18 owners in the performance side of things, like when the tape measure comes out. But that's mostly the guy driving, not the plane. Didn't a 160 hp 12 take 3rd in the Bush Class @ Valdez last year? Against some pretty stiff competition, too.

I don't care for 14s because the front seat is too cramped. I like 12s and 18s.

Mr Pid is right the 18 performs better right on the edge. The 12 and 18 have the same wing but the 12 is set at lower angle of attack which is why it cruises a bit faster than the 18. I have 6 in extended gear and 31 in bushwheels on my 12 which helps put a steeper angle of attack on it. The 14 is a different plane simply because of the side by side seating.

Yes it is hard to beat a tricked out PA-12 Cub Super Cruiser for comfort and hands off flying. To me the J-5s and PA-12s (The J-5 was the basis for the later PA-12) seem to fly with less rudder input due to the shape of the fuselage.
    Some of the 12s have been modified to change the Angle of Incidence to something closer to the PA-18, PA-11 and J-3 Angle of Incidence. (The pitch angle of the wings relative to the directional flight centerline of the fuselage) This makes them a little better for STOL operations at the expense of cruise performance.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com