Thread: New Question

Default New Question

Can a 22' sea runner be effectively run on a 50hp outboard? I've been doing some tire kicking on boats (most recently yesterday at Dewey's) and the guy told me that a swap out of a 22' hard top 115hp for the 50 "wouldn't push the boat at all".

Call me a dum-dum; but isn't there usually a 10hp "kicker" in case your main outboard goes kaput? Even on the larger boats to limp back?
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Quote Originally Posted by Back Country Robb View Post
    Can a 22' sea runner be effectively run on a 50hp outboard? I've been doing some tire kicking on boats (most recently yesterday at Dewey's) and the guy told me that a swap out of a 22' hard top 115hp for the 50 "wouldn't push the boat at all".

Call me a dum-dum; but isn't there usually a 10hp "kicker" in case your main outboard goes kaput? Even on the larger boats to limp back?
    ROB,

IMO the 50 is no where near enough HP, You will have 22' boat probably with 4 people aboard, then add your gear and hopefully a couple hundred pounds of fish. That is a lot to ask of a 50 HP motor.

I know you want to stay Kenai legal, but probably not with that set up.

Good luck,

I have been in a 22 HT with the 115 and IMO, that setup is under powered. We had three guys, gear, and 5 foot seas. The boat could not power out of the troughs. Not good. Flat water and the boat does fine, but in the snot, you won't find me on board. I cannot imagine having a 50 horse main. It sure is tough to find one boat that will do it all marginally let alone one that does it all well. Take a look in your rear view mirror. If you see car seats, that might help you re-think your setup. It sure makes me think.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

I had a 22' HT with a Yamaha 200 and it performed very well. IMO, the 115 would be the minimum for that boat and the 50 HP performance would be dismal. Most people are satisfied with 150. I'm not so sure you can get a 50 with the shaft length you need for that transom, maybe an extension can be added. Good luck with your decision.

Can a 50 [effectively] No! Not even close, Two, of them maybe. Yes big boats have kickers 10-15hp, Used more for trolling, Because big motor,s don,t like to troll all day, They are saving Hr,s gas and keep from fouling plugs on the main.And they do use them to limp Back, But you are talking walking speed and a long time to get back. Rule of thumb:Always buy more Hp, than you think you will need! It is easer to back off the throttle, Say run at 3/4, Than taking a smaller engine and running WOT.. all the time.

Default Thanks

You guys are really helpful; never a disappointment on these forums when asking for advice.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I suppose if you REALLY wanted to fish the Kenai you could try three 50HP motors on the transom, just have only the center motor down on the Kenai.

Another setup would be a 150 main motor, and a 10HP to 25HP kicker for Kenai use, but that probably wouldnt work very well either.

Keep in mind that you're never going to get up on step with a single 50 and will be puttering up and down the river at only hull speed - which for a 22 sea runner is probably about 7 - 9 knots, and the river flows faster than that in spots.

At hull speed all that happens when you add more power is that the bow tilts further and further up until you finally are able to climb on top of the wall of water you've been pushing in front of you and then you're "on step".

You actually dont need much power to get a boat going a hull speed in calm water, in fact a 5HP motor on a 22 foot boat will get you up to hull speed just fine with at least a quarter throttle left to go, notice I said "calm water". With a strong headwind a 5 doesnt have enough power to keep you moving and provide decent steering too & you'll get blown all over.

The reason I dont believe it'll ever get up on step with a 50 is because the sea runner has a relatively deep V hull which requires more power to get on step, if you get a boat with a much shallower V you could probably get away with a dual 50HP (with hydrofoils) setup. But then you'll get pounded if you hit anything more than 1 foot waves in the salt.

Its all tradeoffs; the only way to fish every bit of fishable water from a boat is to have 3 boats: Ocean, River, and small Lake.

FWIW

A 50hp is marginal for a 20' skiff. As mentioned, a 22' cuddy cabin boat will need at least a 115, and better yet a 140-150.

A good rule of thumb is figure out the gross weight of the hull, fuel, engine, crew, anchors, fishing gear etc, safety gear, everything you normally carry then devide that number by 25 and you'll find what the proper hp is for a planing hull.

Thus, a 50 horse is ideal for 1250#'s of boat, engine, fuel, crew and gear. The most a 50 could effectively get on plane, and it would be struggling, is 40 times, or 2000#.

Better to have a little less boat properly powered then underpower a larger boat.

Keep in mind that if you want a 50 HP to be Kenai legal that [if memory serves me correctly] a 22' boat will be illegal as of next year anyways because it exceeds the maximum allowable size. Also, everyone else is correct that a 50 is not enough power on that boat.

You might check out the 20' Sportsman soft tops. I have seen these pushed effectively on the Kenai with a 50 hp, and they seem to be a good versatile boats.

Good Luck

Default 50 hp

Definetly not enough motor. I had a 19' sea runner w/ 50 high trust Yamaha, and it would only do 18 knots, and that was going with the tide. It would bog way down when going through the wake of a larger boat. I would think that on a 22' top speed would be around 12 knots. Way to slow for me.