Thread: Steiner Military-Marine Binoculars

Default Steiner Military-Marine Binoculars

I bought the 8x30 ones a while back for my dad, and he loves them.

For a bear hunt, I was thinking about getting the 10x50 Steiners:

http://www.opticsplanet.net/steiner-...ry-marine.html

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...233&hasJS=true

Having read a lot of reviews, they seem to be very high quality, and the auto-focus thingy appears to be very convenient and reliable. Do I really have to spend $2K on Swaros or Zeiss? Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

I had a set of 10x50 and they were a little to shakey. I traded those in for a set of marine 7x50 and i love them. I have had them for two seasons with no problems! My 2Cts

Quote Originally Posted by Hunta View Post
    I had a set of 10x50 and they were a little to shakey. I traded those in for a set of marine 7x50 and i love them. I have had them for two seasons with no problems! My 2Cts
    Hunta, do you mean that they were unstable because they were ten-power or because of something particular to the Steiner bonos?

I like 10X glass. I have looked at the steiner binos and I am not a fan. I have no field use with them but I have read several reports of fogging and water intrusion. If you are looking for quality glass without paying a fortune then the three best choices are Vortex, Minox HG, and the best bang for your buck binos out there Nikon Monarch. My preference for a sustained use bino is the 40-42mm versions.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    I like 10X glass. I have looked at the steiner binos and I am not a fan. I have no field use with them but I have read several reports of fogging and water intrusion. If you are looking for quality glass without paying a fortune then the three best choices are Vortex, Minox HG, and the best bang for your buck binos out there Nikon Monarch. My preference for a sustained use bino is the 40-42mm versions.
    Thanks LuJon. I'll probably look at those you listed and maybe just get one of the top-end ones like Swaro.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    Thanks LuJon. I'll probably look at those you listed and maybe just get one of the top-end ones like Swaro.
    BTW if you haven't already checkout camera land (the optics forum sponsor) they have the best pricing that I have found (just click their banner and see for yourself). Forum member gr8fuldoug (or just Doug if you are calling them) is the POC for AODD members.

Yes , I found the 10 power to be a little shakey. For me the 8 or 7 power are so much easier to hold steady, and they never give me a headache.

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    BTW if you haven't already checkout camera land (the optics forum sponsor) they have the best pricing that I have found (just click their banner and see for yourself). Forum member gr8fuldoug (or just Doug if you are calling them) is the POC for AODD members.
    Strangely, someone else suggested the same thing to me. I looked at the website on Tuesday and realized the retail space was 1-1/2 blocks from the hotel I was staying in Wed. and Thur. nights during a business trip to NY. I called them, and a man (perhaps Doug) told me that they only drop-ship Steiners at this point. Still I planned to go in and check out their inventory of Zeiss, Swaro, etc ... so I could check out some fine glass first hand before buying. However, I barely had a minute to breathe while in NY. It was crazy, and I was exhausted the whole time (seriously, I think hunting Cape Buffalo would be less stressful).

I am going back to the same place again May 18-19. I will make sure I can get in this time even if I have to miss a flight back--blame it on a cab exploding or something. I hate NY.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunta View Post
    Yes , I found the 10 power to be a little shakey. For me the 8 or 7 power are so much easier to hold steady, and they never give me a headache.
    Thanks Hunta.

Me, I bought my last pair after much wrangling. Seeen the Monarchs for about $300. But was looking for something to rival Leica and Swaro's. Bought some Minox HG 10x43's. And have not looked back. Oh, they were from Doug at Cameraland. Wanna spend $300 and no more? Buy some Monarchs. Or talk to Doug about some of the Vortex offerings.

I like my Minox!!