Thread: New boat prices

Default New boat prices

If a guy started looking at new boats, how could he research the prices like done with cars. You know, the dealer invoice vs. the MSRP. And do boat dealers get paid any incentive/holdback/or kickback after selling a boat.

I'm sure there's a good profit margin, and obviously the dealers need to make a profit. They just don't need to make too much off one fella.

Thanks.

Default boats

If you find something let us all know! Honestly, they have a HUGE markup, but this is why everyone gets an "appraisal" when they sell their boat, there really is no good system in place for a private consumer to put a value to a boat. I think, and this is just my opinion, the closest you could come is to look at comparable used versions of the boat you're interested in and see what they are going for. Of course then if you go custom that's all out the window. Example though, I came really close to buying a custom 27' Cuddy, dealer came off the "quoted" price 15k to entice me, I would have bought at that price but my home life abruptly changed. 15 thousand off the quote though, pretty **** significant, and they were still obviously making money so....you get where I'm going. Compare used against new and make your determination, that's my advice, good luck!

That is one bad thing with shopping for boats or RVs. The feds don't make them display the manuf. list on them, like they do autos. An appraisal is the best way. Shopping around and checking with your financial institution is critical. Unfortunately, you don't have much to compare with unless you can find the same vessel somewhere else. Doing your homework is all you have.

AkBillyBow
    2007 Glacier Bay Cat 2690 Coastal Runner, Twin Honda 150's

Default Financing and Banks

I'm sure the setup isn't that different from the way auto's are sold. The manufacturer sells via financing to the dealer at a wholesale price, the dealer marks up the price and offers financing "incentives" for the banks; once a unit is sold the bank cashes out the dealer with the negotiated interest rate being the bulk of the profit margin.

here's a good place to start on assessing values from your own computer; obviously region and accessories play a role in the final price.

http://www.nadaguides.com/default.as...r&gtc=mr&any=0

I'm not claiming to be an expert on boat pricing but I have been, of late, doing a lot of research on how values are determined due to my own shopping endeavors.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

I too have become pretty familiar with the used boat guides, like NADA, but wasn't having much luck doing the same kind of homework on new boats. Hence this thread.

Looks like nobody has too much more info than what I've found to date. Compare a lot and don't be afraid to make an offer to a new boat dealer that's much lower than their list because there can be huge profit margins. One buyer guide I read said the margin may be as much as 25-60%.