Thread: seperation anxiety

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

Default seperation anxiety

the truck barking thread got me thinking that i can get some advise from you all as well. first my dog is a fila mastiff and not a gundog, he hates guns as well as swimming or retrieving. nonetheless he goes with me quite a bit and his/my problem is if i leave him in the back of the truck by himself he barks. he barks for hours if need be. ive been told that i couldnt bring him to work and leave him in the back of my truck because of his barking and i work construction. shock collar, he dont care he still barks. if i tell him to be quiet and walk up to the truck to scold him he cowers and takes his verbal assault and waits till im about 30 feet away and starts to bark. no problems enroute just when hes left alone. any suggestions?

You may already have done this........but.
    Is he conditioned to a kennel in your home. If it is only the back of your truck.....then in the dogs mind.....the kennel has become a bad place to be. Reintroduce the kennel to him as being a good place to be in amore neutral setting.

Another trick that has worked well is simply covering the kennel with a bed sheet or blanket.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Bark collars maybe not the right tool

I thought the e-collar was the end all, be all for barking until I put it on Lucy the Lab while mowing the yard. She would go nuts over the lawnmower every time I headed her way. So I thought Idí try the collar. Holy smokes it was as if was killing her, people came out of their houses to yell at me and I was 25 yards away from her. Wrong kind of barking for an e-collar and that may be it with your mastiff. I donít know those dogs at all but Iíve been around them, They could panic and eat the crate if they wanted to.

Iíd try Wetlands idea of making the crate a good place, and covering it. Iíve seen it work with dogs barking at other dogs from the car. Covering the crate and only uncovering when the dog is quiet. They want to see what is going on. For the sight hound mixes I was stuffing Kongs or a treat ball with cheese so they would be too busy but again they have to consider the crate a happy place or the panic level is too high to care about treats.
    www.alaskadognews.com

i used to have a box in the back of the truck but kinda felt sorry for him to be cramped in it all day. when i park the truck and walk away from it he will do the same even crated. when at work i would tie him off to the truck with the gate down so he could get in and out and i parked way out of the way so noone would bother him or vise versa. he could lay in the bed or get under the truck for shade or get out of the rain. he still barks even on a long lead. this is clearly a case of me not being in his sight IMHO. he dosent mind crates but i dont use one for him anymore.

thanks for the concern linda but the dog collar has no positive effect on him or does it put him in any kind of noticable pain and there is no change in his behavior with or without the collar. i dont even use it anymore because it dosent work for him.

i havent had to take him to work for some time but its possible i might be traveling again this year for work and would like to find a way to keep him with me this time.

I have a 9 year old choc. lab. I have taken him everywhere I go since he was a pup, kinda attached at the hip. I worked at construction, or used to, and he made friends everywhere we went. I had to leave him in the truck and he would howl for an hour or so til one of the guys went out to check on him, ( I would'nt because he was already a spoiled dog,lol ) and then he would be fine. When I got off work, he would be all kicked backed on the seat and would'nt move when I was trying to get in. To this day if I leave him alone he will sit there and howl for a couple of hours til he realizes I'm not going to let him go with me, then he justs makes himself at home on the couch or the bed, ( grumbles ) but never gets in the trash or mess'es in the house. ( good dog ) Never spanked him, no collars, and no yelling at him. He's the best dog I've ever owned. On a side note he's over 150 pounds and takes up the whole front seat.

well at least he figures you are coming back . guess crash thinks that im not coming back? he will go for 8, 10 hours nonstop . its ridiculous. i get back to the truck and hes all foamy at the mouth from barking. i do leave him water. ive even tried a muzzle but he scratches his nose up pretty good with those. i cant send anyone near the truck that he dosent know or his bark turns from a "why are you doing this to me" bark to ferocious pretty quick.

I've left him a couple of times with a baby sitter and they did'nt want to watch him anymore. His moaning and moping for the first couple of hours was to much for them. But now 1 of the babysitters is his best friend, baths, walks, ahh the good life.

Kink Alaska surrounded by sled dog kennels, a fabulous view and lots of hunting.

Default Your going to have to start over

He's in a full panic. The muzzle just confines him even more and is not recommended to leave it on when alone. From what you say it's not disobedience or nuisance barking. He is fully afraid. Thatís why the e-collar doesn't work. Trying to get past his anxiety will take time and a construction site where your busy may not be the best place.

I can imagine its distracting to worry about your dog on the job. You might need some professional help, take him to a doggy daycare a few times a week, something that will build his confidence. Was he a rescued dog or re-homed from someplace else? Iíve had this problem it with my own rescued dogs and a field trial Lab who when to pro-training for months at a time living on a kennel truck, basically abandoned in his mind. It took years and other dog friends before he settled down. At that he was never left alone loose in the house again.
    www.alaskadognews.com

Have you tried a peanut butter filled Kong? Our oldest girl gets separation anxiety, but when you give her a peanut butter filled Kong, she will settle down and lick that thing for hours. It takes her mind off you...

If your dog is a hard chewer, you may want to be sure to get the "black" kong. This will insure the kong doesn't break down if he gets to chewing it instead of licking it.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

maybe ill try the p-butter kong. hes not a chewer and dosent like rawhide bones at all. thanks lastfrontier

he knows i drive the forklift and watches me go around the job all day. im within sight of him some of the time. the muzzle is not in use any more, after i tried it and he scratched himself up i didnt use it anymore. doggy day care is out as he does not like strange people and id be liable if he bit anyone. he used to get along with other dogs but im not too sure now since hes older. hes 150 pounds and would be hard for someone to control if there was a problem.

Let me know if the Peanut butter kong works. I've given this advice to a couple of people and it worked for one and not the other.
    "It's the journey that's important, with experience and knowledge to be gained along the way, in the company of our faithful dogs and our good friends."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

My lab has SA....a vet once told me they have treatment for it but I've never followed up. She's fine in my truck....she'll stay there all day just as content as could be...but weather, hot or cold, limits that.
    She's a 50lb dog, but can completely destroy a house...and a plastic kennel. I put her in an outside kennel & had to put the kennel on a trex pad. Then the neighbors complained about her incessant barking. I got a bark e-collar (the more they bark, the higher the stimulation)...and that seems to work.
    Not cure...but it helps the barking issue when nothing else will distract them.