Thread: .338 Ruger Hawkeye Update

Default .338 Ruger Hawkeye Update

So that others can learn from my mistakes...

I recently did a trigger job on my browning a-bolt and came up with a very nice, crisp, light trigger. I was excited about my success with that rifle and decided to try the same on my new hawkeye.

The hawkeye's trigger has been billed as an improvement over previous triggers, and it really wasn't too bad, but there was enough creep and it was heavy enough I figured it definitely could use some work. Long story short, the trigger came out great, but I didn't understand the engineering of the three position safety. By filing down the sear I changed the angle of the trigger, thus creating a slight gap between the arm of the trigger that contacts the safety. Because there was now no percievable creep, that gap was enough to allow the trigger to break with the safety on, so that when the safety was moved to the FIRE position, the gun would fire.

So, I called ruger to replace the parts and they informed me that those parts are only installed in the factory. I took the scope off the rifle, packaged it up and raced it to the post office. I payed sixty bucks to have it guaranteed delivered by last Friday, the 17th. I included a letter informing them of my mistakes and that I would need the rifle back no later than today since I am flying to Alaska with it early Monday morning.

Well, the rifle arrived today before noon (the 25th), fixed free of charge. Thats an eight day turnaround. I took it to the range and mounted the scope and sighted it back in. It was shooting fliers until I thought to tighten down the scope, then I shot a three shot group at a hundred yards that measured 21/32" (just a hair over 5/8") with 250 gr Nosler Partition factory loads. The first and third shot creating a single hole dead center, one and a half inch high. Needless to say I'm quite relieved and feeling much more prepared for Alaska.

Abe

The good news is that you detected the safety issue in a controlled environment and not after someone got hurt.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Good on Ruger for great service!! Enjoy your hunt.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Good on Ruger for great service!! Enjoy your hunt.
    Ditto to the great service! My Sako turn around through the dealer was 2 1/2 months for an accuracy issue.

Thanks for sharing your experience in trying to improve the trigger... something we all can learn from.

Good hunting,

-MR

BTW, forgot to mention that the trigger that came back from the factory was much better than the first. Much better.

Abe

My experience with Ruger and their customer service has been Top Notch every time. That is one reason I will continue to buy their products, they back them up no questions asked, and are prompt !

That's impressive since Ruger doesn't offer a warranty on their guns and you explained how it happened. Glad it all worked out for you and best of luck on your hunt.