Thread: Muzzleloader class

Default Muzzleloader class

Just wondering if anyone knows of a certification class coming up in the Anchorage/Eagle River area any time soon? Also, how can I take the online certification? I'm an experienced muzzleloader hunter, but I need to get certified here in Alaska so I can get in on some restricted hunts this year. Thanks in advance for your help.

"early to bed, early to rise, fish like hell, and make up lies"

Default Saturday May 2nd

There is a class at the Elks Camp in Palmer. Don't know if it is full or not....go to the F&G to find out.
    They have list of the upcoming classes. I seem to remember a few more coming but dont know the dates.

Theres one this Saturday (May 2nd) and Rabbit creek that i am attending.

I will be at the class May 2nd as well, signed up for it months ago.

Default full

may 2 is full

may 16th is open - but I am going clamming/camping.....guess I will stick to the archery draws.

Quote Originally Posted by 338WM View Post
    I will be at the class May 2nd as well, signed up for it months ago.
    So did I, I will be there with my dad and my little sister too. Sounds like its a really fun class, lots of shootin.

I'm signed up for the May 16th class anybody else

I'm in the May2nd as well, lookin forward to it. See ya guys there.

Quote Originally Posted by ripnlip View Post
    I'm in the May2nd as well, lookin forward to it. See ya guys there.
    See you there bro, the class is alot of fun from what i have been hearing.

Nice meeting both of you guys at the class. I had a blast there and passed with flying colors. It was an introduction for me to the wolrd of muzzleloading and now I hooked. Just what i needed, another expensive hobby.

This was a good read. I wasn't aware that there was a certification for hunting with ML's in AK. I'll have to look into that when I get back from Afghanistan. I have a custom Green Mountain .54 cal inline that's itchin' to put a hole in some moose and bear.

The other 299,300,000 people can have it.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

You only need the class to hunt in the special seasons. You can use your muzzleloader during the regular season without the class. I've got an older Knight 54 cal inline. You're going to like it! I just wish they'd get off the dime and make some bigger stuff! I've got a couple of 58 cal traditionals and they get a lot more use. Wouldn't it be a kick (literally) to have a 58 or 62 caliber sabot for 500 S&W bullets? Now we're talking about something with some whomp!

I'd go for that! I'm actually thinking about buying a big-bore kit when I get home and building it with a Green Mountain barrel with a fast twist for sabots.

Noone has a more intimate understanding of, or deeper appreciation for freedom, than a soldier who has fought for it in a country where it does not exist.

Does cabelas still have their .72 bore? You should check it out.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    You only need the class to hunt in the special seasons. You can use your muzzleloader during the regular season without the class. I've got an older Knight 54 cal inline. You're going to like it! I just wish they'd get off the dime and make some bigger stuff! I've got a couple of 58 cal traditionals and they get a lot more use. Wouldn't it be a kick (literally) to have a 58 or 62 caliber sabot for 500 S&W bullets? Now we're talking about something with some whomp!

Quote Originally Posted by corbanzo View Post
    Does cabelas still have their .72 bore? You should check it out.
    I'm not sure if Cabelas still does, but it's made by Pedersoli and readily available. I've been rather passively watching for a used one, but have reason now to push the search up a notch. I picked up a Pedersoli Brown Bess "carbine" (30" barrel, 75 caliber), and it's such a hoot to shoot. It's a smoothbore and has no rear sight while using the bayonet lug for a front sight, yet still surprisingly accurate. It has me really interested in what can be done with a rifled bore, good sights, and of course, two barrels!

Thanks for the heads up!

I just read through Cabela's most recent catalog, and I noted they do still sell the big bores.

Sadly, Green Mountain does not and will not make a fast twist .58 barrel- I was looking into that a while ago. No dice. The only fast .58 I have seen is the one for the T/C system one, and if memory serves me right it was a 1:28- that is putting you up to around a 600+gr conical, or a sabot with .50 slugs in it! Now that is a cannon!!!

I am content with my .58 kodiak, for now............