Thread: Valdez spring kings???

Default Valdez spring kings???

Anyone know or have ever fished for Kings in Valdez? I had heard some Kings come into the sound to feed on herring.

Wild Kings don't go into the Valdez bay to the best of my knowledge. However that said I have heard they started a new king hatchery tho I don't have much info on that.
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Wild Kings don't go into the Valdez bay to the best of my knowledge. However that said I have heard they started a new king hatchery tho I don't have much info on that.
    Pretty sure wild kings are present all over PWS at times.. Doubt that there is much literature anywhere on this... They are present and do rear in PWS, most seem to be from SE and Canada since many are white.

Default Valdez Kings

There are kings in Valdez Harbor year round. One that is native to the area is the white king. A good place to troll for them is down by Anderson Bay. Two years ago some guys reported seeing sharks in the harbor and one of the charter Captains went and caught a couple.

Quote Originally Posted by tdelarm View Post
    Kings in Valdez? That would be great!

We've caught them, out past Galena Bay. Typically deep, 80-100'.

I caught a 10lb white king in August 07 trolling for Silvers between Gold and Mineral creeks.

I catch a couple of between 5 to 8 pound kings every year trolling for silvers down there. The farthest out I have got one was out by goose island in 90 ft water off the bottom 20/#. Will be down there this week and give it a shot between entrance island and Jacks bay.

Quote Originally Posted by fishinslut View Post
    I catch a couple of between 5 to 8 pound kings every year trolling for silvers down there. The farthest out I have got one was out by goose island in 90 ft water off the bottom 20/#. Will be down there this week and give it a shot between entrance island and Jacks bay.
    Let us know how you do, I need to head down there and get the boat out of storage, maybe troll a little for some kings if the weather is nice.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

I got in to them out of Port Fidalgo last June, they were in a school running the shoreline nice 5 lbrs.