Thread: Bullets for 358 Winnie

Thumbs down Bullets for 358 Winnie

Hellooooo Beartooth and others. What bullets are you loading for your beloved 358 Winnies. It seems there is little to choose from in 225 gr unless you want to drop your beer money for super premium. I'm not looking for a Brown Bear load just a good all around load for the rest of the spectrum. Heop me oout will you? Thanks for any and all info. I just got a 99-358 and want to get going.

I will be using the Sierra 225gr Game King SBT for everything except dangerous game. Then I will use the 225gr or 250gr Partition. At the Velocities of the 358Win the Sierra is a perfect pick with the 225gr partition as a close second.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I have used 358 caliber 225 grain Kodiak Bonded Bullets and they are pretty nice, but fairly expensive.

The Sierra 225 grain boattail bullets are super accurate and I have shot a couple of moose with them. At 150 yards they worked just fine and stayed together for the most part.

For an inexpensive bullet for load development I used a bunch of Speer 220 grain spitzers that have a little flat tip on them. Oddly enough they are SUPER-DOOPER accurate in my 358 and 350 Remington Magnum.

At 358 Win velocities they (the Speers) would probably be just fine on thin skinned critters.
    From a 22 inch Ruger chambered for 358 WIn, 41 grains of H4198 pushed the 220 grain Speer to 2,480 fps.

I have also pushed them to over 2,800 from my 350 Rem Mag,using 62 grains of RL-15, but I wonder how they would hold together going that fast.

I also tried some 200 grain Hornady round nose bullets that soembody gave me in a swap. They are a soild and tough bullet.

With 49 grains of IMR 3031 or 52 grains of reloader #12 you can go just a touch over 2,600 fps with the 200 grain round nose from a 22 inch Ruger barrel shooting the 358 Winchester. There is nothing wrong with that.

I pushed the same slug at just over 3,000 for my 350 Rem Mag.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Thanks Float Pilot for the info on moose. Also, the 350 Rem mag is really and outstanding cartridge and does out class the 358Win in velocity, momentum and energy. Will be interesting how the 358Win does, because so many who have used it really like how it does terminally with bullets at 358Win velocities. I am looking forward to trying it.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

When I accidentally shot up all of my 358 hand loads at the range....I reloaded this new once fired brass with a bunch of Hornady Interlock 200 grainers. Like I've stated before.....the young bull moose last season destroyed the bullet. Upon hitting the shoulder bone.....it seperated from the core and caused alot of meat damage to the front quarter. The fact is.....so what if it seperated, it killed the moose with one shot. Would I use the interlock again? Prob. not. But I will give credit where credits due: it worked and my freezer is still full, all at a large savings in overall cost. I really like cheap bullets nowadays though. Last time I checked......at least attempting to make sacrifices here and there to save for a rainy day is not a bad idea, it's getting hard out there. It appears to me that you are trying to find a standard bullet for a good price. I would have to say that the Speer Hot-Cor 250 gr. spitzer would be the perfect bullet. They pour moulten lead into the jacket, it may not be a premium bullet....but it makes up for it with heavy weight, and a modest velocity. Max loads will put you at 2400fps. It would be a 250-300 yard gun at that velocity.

Quote Originally Posted by mainer_in_ak View Post
    When I accidentally shot up all of my 358 hand loads at the range....I reloaded this new once fired brass with a bunch of Hornady Interlock 200 grainers. Like I've stated before.....the young bull moose last season destroyed the bullet. Upon hitting the shoulder bone.....it seperated from the core and caused alot of meat damage to the front quarter. The fact is.....so what if it seperated, it killed the moose with one shot. Would I use the interlock again? Prob. not. But I will give credit where credits due: it worked and my freezer is still full, all at a large savings in overall cost. I really like cheap bullets nowadays though. Last time I checked......at least attempting to make sacrifices here and there to save for a rainy day is not a bad idea, it's getting hard out there. It appears to me that you are trying to find a standard bullet for a good price. I would have to say that the Speer Hot-Cor 250 gr. spitzer would be the perfect bullet. They pour moulten lead into the jacket, it may not be a premium bullet....but it makes up for it with heavy weight, and a modest velocity. Max loads will put you at 2400fps. It would be a 250-300 yard gun at that velocity.
    Yes, I am tempted to try the 250gr Speer. What powder did you find pushing the 250gr Speer the fastest and with fair to good accuracy??
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Default 200

Patch, your a lucky guy! 99s in 358 are rare! In my last 358, (a BLR) I was shooting 200 grn speer as my target/light hunting bullet. This bullet was super accurate. I always used partition 250s for hunting big things.

Default try the speer...

220 gr flat nose. It works great out of my 350 rem mag and my buddy loads it in his 99-358, we have both had excellent results on game out to 300 yds. The bullet performs very well at 358 velocities, in fact I don't think a premium bullet will make much if any difference at 358 winchester speeds.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

Beartooth,

I had three "+P 358 Winchester" loads that I had made. I first made a dummy round to find out the max COAL of my 358. Once determined....I checked for magazine compatability. I gradually loaded 3 bullets each with IMR 4895, Reloader 15, and Win. 748. Each bullet went up in increments of 2 grains. I'm almost certain that I was well above 52,000 psi with each of the three loadings. The combination of a large bullet, and a compressed charge of 4895 (even with a spiraled powder funnel), gave me top velocities. The 4895 loads that were compressed even to the increased COAL will give you a higher velocity with less pressure than RL 15, or Win. 748. DONT attempt this unless you practice good observation of the cases and extraction of the case, and DONT practice this +P business if you arent willing to patiently load the bullets in very slight increments. I'm a little scared of sharing this kind of info with other forum members because although the 358 can handle higher pressures than what it was rated for.....older rifles might not agree. Every rifle is different and I know your Ruger will prob handle it all......please be careful.

in my 358 winchester I used the 225 Sierra boattail, 225 Partition, 225 ballisitic tip with several powders. The load that shot real well I was using 4320 with thr 225gr Sierra. That gun did not like the Nosler bullets. Thought about loading some 250gr Hornadies and try them out. I wish it would shoot the partition becuase I really like that bullet killed plenty of elk using that bullet in other calibers. With the 250gr Hornady spire or round nose I would not hesistae to use it on a brown bear... One of these days I will try the Barnes bullets but man they are so expensive and if they don't shoot well in my 358 it just depresses me LOL. A little off topic a buddy of mine gave me some swift siroccos to try out in one for of my 7mm loaded up 15 different powder and one of the loads was something this particular rifle liked went to the range and it was horrible looked like I took a shotgun out thier LOL. I was glad i didn't have to pay for those. Anyhow I gave them back to him and said thanks.

Default 250 gr...

A guy I know has used the .358 Win. Mag. for over 20 years and shoots the 250 gr. Speer Hot Cor. It is his favorite Alaska hunting set up.

I have a 358 norma mag which I need to get my dad to send it to Alaska... Hopefully it will shoot the 250gr hornadies cause that is all I plan to use in it...

This thread once again proved that there was really no need for ther 338 Federal.

Now the 338 Ruger Compact Mag, that might be a different story. Particularly if it was necked up to 358.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

I shoot 250grn Swift-A-Frames out of my 350 Griffin & Howe and have had great performance. I shot my goat at a little over 300 yards with this set up.

I shoot 220grn Speer flat nose in my 356 Win and 225grn Nosler in my 35 Whelen. You just have to love the 35 caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    This thread once again proved that there was really no need for ther 338 Federal.

Now the 338 Ruger Compact Mag, that might be a different story. Particularly if it was necked up to 358.

Float Pilot,

That was a great idea regarding necking up the 338 Ruger to a 358. Wildcatters are prob. on this idea as we speak. I don't forsee Ruger attempting this as a future factory loading though.....as they are already invested in the one below and the one above it.......375 ruger, and the 338 ruger.

Luckily, my .358 likes 225 grain Partitions, and old Ballistic tips, and Accubonds. However, I've settled on 1 1/2 inch groups for all three. That's plenty of accuracy for this round and makes 250 yard hits easy. Every elk, deer, and black bear has dropped at one shot, for over 10 years. I can get 1/2 inch groups with the old Hornady 250 grain round nose, but I have great luck with Nosler for hunting. 1 1/2 " is plenty. It's not a varmit rifle!

For just deer and for up to say 200 ish yards the rem 200gr PSP CL works as does the hornady 200gr spire point. The rem 200gr CLRN is much better desined than the hornady RN (check out marlinowners com (bullet tests)).

Some of us st Noslers web sight are realy tring to get a 225gr protected tip accubond made just for the 358/350 and a 200gr for the 35rem.

I been looking at the 225gr sierra but at this time using the 225gr partition and the pointed 200grainers

Quote Originally Posted by tjen View Post
    For just deer and for up to say 200 ish yards the rem 200gr PSP CL works as does the hornady 200gr spire point. The rem 200gr CLRN is much better desined than the hornady RN (check out marlinowners com (bullet tests)).

Some of us st Noslers web sight are realy tring to get a 225gr protected tip accubond made just for the 358/350 and a 200gr for the 35rem.

I been looking at the 225gr sierra but at this time using the 225gr partition and the pointed 200grainers
    I for 100 200gr Rem Core-Lokts on the way to play with.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS