Thread: Bow for 7th Birthday

Default Bow for 7th Birthday

Well I am not going to be there but my oldest has decided that he wants a bow for his 7th birthday. I would like something that can grow with him but not sure if there is one that will go low enough for him now.

The big thing is that I am not going to be there! I was considering having the wife take him in to the Archers Den but I am not sure if Paul carries bows for kids that young. Does anyone offer a kids archery class?

This is something he came up all on his own so I don't want to pass on the opportunity even if I can't be there!

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Well I am not going to be there but my oldest has decided that he wants a bow for his 7th birthday. I would like something that can grow with him but not sure if there is one that will go low enough for him now.

The big thing is that I am not going to be there! I was considering having the wife take him in to the Archers Den but I am not sure if Paul carries bows for kids that young. Does anyone offer a kids archery class?

This is something he came up all on his own so I don't want to pass on the opportunity even if I can't be there!

Check these out
    Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    here is a link for the bow if any one is interested... http://www.merlinarcherycentre.co.uk...pound_Bow.html
    or the Diamond Nuclear Ice and the Razors edge http://www.diamondarchery.com/bow_nuclearice.php

Paul carries both the Edge and the Nuclear Ice, sweet bows.

Just bought my 8 year old son a Diamond Razors Edge from the Archers Den. He shot it several times today and did pretty good. This bow is adjustable from 15 to 30 lbs and is also very adjustable in draw length. When the kid gets bigger you can get limbs rated from 30 to 60#s for a small price. He should be able to use this bow when he is an adult. Just read the specs and the IBO speed is over 300 at the longest draw length. Not far off the high dollar bow I just bought.

Default Youth Bow

Bill at Backcountry has a bow called the Menace, it's by Mission archery who is made by Mathews. The bow has an adjustable draw length and an adjustable draw weight from 16 to 51 lbs so one bow will last your son for many years. I wish they had this years ago because my 12 year old is already on his third bow. This bow shoots smooth and I think he has a package price bow with sights, rest, stabilizer, 6 arrows and jr release for about $460.00 . Hope this helps. Stay safe and God bless.

I bought my boys the Whisper creek bows. One is seven and the other is nine. They love them. Got the bow for $169 and upgraded to better arrows. The bows come with rest and sight. I also added a peep and string silencers. These bows are very adjustable and go up to 30 pounds I believe. A good begginer bow that looks just like the big boys. Not to expensive if they decide its not for them. Hope this helps

Default 6 year olds first bow

I did the same for my son when he was 6. In fact I just found the bow in the case, with the birthday card in it. That boy is now a young man at 19. I bought him a PSE takedown recurve for several reasons.
    The overall length of the bow was not too long to handle when shooting. Gross weight was very little, which meant he would not struggle to hold it up to shoot. I think the original limbs were 15 pounds. Being small meant that at full draw he still only pulled a fraction of the total draw weight, and as he grew, gained experiencee and became stronger, he could pull more weight. His anchor point would never change as he grew. We would not have to worry about the draw length being affected by cams or wheels.
    Taken down, and in the soft case, it was easy for him to carry, even with all his gear. The PSE at the time had heavier limbs that could be bought if and when that boy grew up and wanted to hunt elephants or something equally as large.
    Most of the kids at JOAD were shooting recurves, at least at that time. I liked the way the program was run by Del, and I liked the simplicity of the kids shooting the recurve.
    I just saw potential problems with a compound at that age. As it was, he learned how to take his own bow apart and put it back together. He was very self sufficient. I had to provide very little oversight in terms of bow fit. It seemed like a good idea then, and today, I would do the same thing.
    We never did get heavier limbs. Maybe when he comes home from college we'll pull that bow out just for grins and giggles and see if we can find any bunnies.

Paul does have bows that will work. Give him a call, he always steers me right.

well this might be a small stretch, but I've had a project going for awhile now that needs to get done LOL. It's a kids bamboo backed osage longbow. Let me know if you find him one or not. I can make it whatever weight at whatever draw weight.

check over at archerytalk.com I've bought several used bows and always buy used equipment over there. I've never had a deal gone bad. look under the classifieds for youth and women bows. I would get him something that's decent like the hoyt rintec or martin youth bow. alpine archery makes a great youth bow. I've shot with some young archer's at the NY state archery championships that used alpines and did very well.

I wouldn't hesitate to buy used. He may like it for a while, but then he might not later on...my brothers and I all shot together when we were kids, but when we got older we stopped shooting all together. I was the only one that picked it up again and then started competing.

I'm partial to recurves, cause I think they're more fun, but it's easier to learn to be accurate with a compound.

my .02

The Base for Now... Looking out in Chugiak tho.

Default My Kid's Bow

My son watched me shoot and for his 8th birthday I got him a Wal Mart Lil' Brave. He likes it... I know its not a top of the line... but untill he is bigger it works. The only thing I dis-like about it is that the string is insulated. To put in a peep I had to strip it down and then tie off the peep and use the heat shrink around the rest of the exposed string. It seems to work ok. He has fun with it. I gave him about a half dozen of some of my old aluminum arrows. It puts them down range, I think the pull on it is 10-30#, with an adjustable draw... The main reason he got that bow was it is cost effective... and if he doesn't want to continue it was a small investment.

It also lets me fine tune his technique with out have to worry about him dry firing the bow. But that is just my opinion.

~Blazer