Thread: Bushnell Elite 6500

Default Bushnell Elite 6500

I just got back from the range shooting my Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .340 Wby (to get ready for a fll brown bear hunt). It has a new Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x-50mm scope on it.

The combination worked great, and I got several group at 50 yds (the longest at the NRA range) where the holes are all touching.

After sighting in the scope, I changed the windage and elevation to 0 by lifting up the dials and moving them to 0 and then releasing them. This worked perfectly with the elevation knob, but when I released the windage knob, it did not go back down. As I gently played with it, it would not either pull out or go down at all. I then used a fiar amount of force to see ifi it would pull out again, but it would not do so. The way it is now, it wonít pull out or push in, and it clicks and changes the windage when turned (I checked it out by moving the windage knob and shooting it, and the point of impact moved as expected).

Does anyone know if there is a simple solution to this problem that I canít figure out, or is the knob somehow broken.

I have another 6500 on my Sage M1A, but I would rather not have to swap them out and send back the one on the Wby, as I would then have to sight in everything again--but I will if I have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I just got back from the range shooting my Weatherby Mark V Accumark in .340 Wby (to get ready for a fll brown bear hunt). It has a new Bushnell Elite 6500 2.5-16x-50mm scope on it.

The combination worked great, and I got several group at 50 yds (the longest at the NRA range) where the holes are all touching.

After sighting in the scope, I changed the windage and elevation to 0 by lifting up the dials and moving them to 0 and then releasing them. This worked perfectly with the elevation knob, but when I released the windage knob, it did not go back down. As I gently played with it, it would not either pull out or go down at all. I then used a fiar amount of force to see ifi it would pull out again, but it would not do so. The way it is now, it won’t pull out or push in, and it clicks and changes the windage when turned (I checked it out by moving the windage knob and shooting it, and the point of impact moved as expected).

Does anyone know if there is a simple solution to this problem that I can’t figure out, or is the knob somehow broken.

I have another 6500 on my Sage M1A, but I would rather not have to swap them out and send back the one on the Wby, as I would then have to sight in everything again--but I will if I have to.

Thanks in advance for any advice.
    I would call Bushnell. I would not leave a scope on my rifle that acted like that. Would not try to even mess with it. Just my $.02

I have the same scope you do and have used it on three different rifles. I haven't experienced the issue you mention, but I concur with calling Bushnell.

If you absolutely want to try to fix it yourself, I think only two things could be wrong. You either have some broken/jammed up parts in the adjustment knob (which I don't think you can fix) or you have some foreign debris in the adjustment know. I would try blowing some compressed are up into it to see if you can dislodge anything.
    "Beware the man with only one gun; he may know how to use it."

Thanks MR and K9C. I will call when they're open.

I just put a couple of cleaning patches over the turret knob and gently pulled out with a set of gently-locked locking pliers, and it popped right back out, and now appears to be working normally. A little concerning that it happened at all, but I am probably going to leave it as is unless something goes wrong again. I do really like the scope.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i had a brand new bushnell that acted up once. the cross hair turned??? they replaced it for free VERY FAST.

ihave the 3200's and 4200's on all mine.. not familar with the 6200. how is it?
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    i had a brand new bushnell that acted up once. the cross hair turned??? they replaced it for free VERY FAST.

ihave the 3200's and 4200's on all mine.. not familar with the 6200. how is it?
    Other than the turret knob getting stuck, I absolutely love this scope. Very clear from 2.5 to 16 magnification. Is clear at 15 feet or 500 yards. Perhaps the Z6 is better, and I was considering getting one, but, at 1/3 the price, the 6500 is pretty nice. This is the second one I've bought. I just put one on my Wby and have had one for a while on my M1A.

BTW, I was interested in getting some info ASAP last night about what to do (it was literally, by coincidence, the 60th day after I bought the scope from Cabela's, and that has return implications). I posted the same question on several forums (here, a gun forum, a Wby forum, and an optics forum). As usual, I got the quickest and most helpful responses here. I had the same experience on my first (I think) post about an ammo question. This is a good place for good info fairly fast.

Thanks.

Man I had to study to see an M1A in that picture! It looks more like an FAL in that chassis you have it in. Cool setup.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by ADfields View Post
    Man I had to study to see an M1A in that picture! It looks more like an FAL in that chassis you have it in. Cool setup.
    Thanks. It's the Sage International EBR (M14ALC) stock: http://www.sageinternationalltd.com/si/access/ebr.html

I used to just have an Eotech sight on it, until I realized that the rifle could outshoot the sight at distance:

In the prone with that bipod, one can empty a 25-rd mag in a few sconds and keep the 11.5-lb rifle on target pretty easy.

Seriously, though there are lighter options (and I'm not talking about hunting), it would probably be a good bear-defense gun with fmj .308 loads.

Quote Originally Posted by MarineHawk View Post
    I just put a couple of cleaning patches over the turret knob and gently pulled out with a set of gently-locked locking pliers, and it popped right back out, and now appears to be working normally. A little concerning that it happened at all, but I am probably going to leave it as is unless something goes wrong again. I do really like the scope.
    Glad you got it working, but that still does not sound right to me. I would still call Bushnell and for one, make it a matter of record (email too) ans see if they suggest that you send it in. It might be a pain in the butt, but if that scope fails you when you need it the most, that will be more of a pain. I would give it a good work out on the range if they dont tell you to send it in and also get it out in some real nasty weather.

Just another $.02

And BTW, some nice outifits you got there.

Question on the 6500, does it have parallax adjustmen? Scopes with over 10x magnification should have parallax adjustment if you plan on shooting farther than 400 or 500 yds.

I agree MR. I did call Cabela's (at 11:30 pm last night), and I was amazed at how helpful the lady was at that time late on a Saturday night. I will probably call/e-mail Bushnell as I agree with you about making a reocrd. But, the more I play with it, I think it is okay. I don't know how, but the turret knob became bound for some reason. However, even when I couldn't get it to move in/out (and thus reset the 0) I could still change the windage. After the problem occured (when I thought I was done for the day), I then adjusted the scope 6 MOA (24 clicks) to the right, and fired. The round hit 3" to the right @ 50yds (as expected). Then, I moved it back, and the round struck at 0.

I will definitely be vary careful going forward when moving the turrets in/out. I'm just relieved I don't have to buy another scope. I was considering for a moment buying a $2K Swaro scope, and that's almost as much as 60 rounds of Weatherby factory ammo right now.

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    And BTW, some nice outifits you got there.

Question on the 6500, does it have parallax adjustmen? Scopes with over 10x magnification should have parallax adjustment if you plan on shooting farther than 400 or 500 yds.
    Yes. It works well IMO. It's the only way anyone can make a 6x variable. When I go from 2.5x straight to 12x or higher, for instance, I must change the paralax knob (on the left side). But I find it fairly quick and intuitive, and I don't think it matters much because, when you zoom in to 16x, you generally are looking at something far away and usually have a second to adjust the paralax. I know that the ideal brown brear-only scope need not be over 9-power at the top end, but I plan to hunt elk, mullies, and hopefully sheep with it as well.

Paralax knob is this one on the left side: