Thread: mountaineering boot?

Default mountaineering boot?

i see a lot of sheep hunters wearing koflachs and other plastic "hardcore" boots or the typical lowa sheep hunters, scarpa liskamms or Meindl AK hunters. what about the other mountaineering boots like the scarpa summits or triolets, La sportiva Nepal (i have seen one fella praise them heavily) or the la sportiva trango? ive been studyin the idea of a new/another pair of boots. ive been lookin at the scarpa summits pretty heavily, but havent found much about them or any of these others. granted the climbing guys have reviews on them, but i dont know how they are for hiking thats associated with sheep/goat hunting. what do yall think?

Default Mountaineering boots not necessary

I used to do the Kofolach thing, but man, are they heavy and a pain for long approaches and for covering lots of ground. If I was getting dropped off on a glacier and not intending on getting more than 8-10 miles from the airstrip in extremely rugged glacial moraine and talus, then I would go back to using the Koflachs.

These days I use LaSprotiva Trango s Evos. Only good for 1 season but they are about 3 lbs lighter than Koflachs and provide much more flexibility. I think a lotta sheep hunter's are "over-booted" and it is actually a detriment. The only exception is if someone has weak ankles, or prone to sprains or rollovers. The La Sportiva trango s evos and trango treks purposefully have a very flexible cuff. I love it.

I also have used LaSportiva Glaciers and those are good too, just much less flexible in the ankle region, so not as efficient for covering the miles in sheep country. Weigh 4.75 lbs in size 11.

If you are a trail runner, or hike in the mountains with trail running shoes and have strong ankles, I would not sheep hunt in a boot that weighs over 4 lbs. per pair. Don't waste your money on an expensive overkill boot.

This is my own personal opinion, based on having strong ankles, and dozens of sheep hunts/guiding trips, backpacking and light mountaineering experience. I tend not to follow the herd, and use what works best for ME.

Good luck. I am currently wearing my NEW sheep hunting boots, closeouts, LaSPOrtiva Trango Treks on sale at Backcountry.com for $110 dollars or so! ;-)

Have fun and get out in the mountains!
    -Chris

You are fortunate that the LaSportiva last fits your foot. They are just way to narrow for me. I am one of those weak ankled guys and my old Soloman Mountain Lites are wore out, no ankle support left. Man, I wish I'd of bought 3 pair of them years ago. I have some Lowa Civetta plastic boots that I really like in the rugged terrain but they do come with a price in certain areas. The Koflachs don't fit my feet. I'm currently shopping for some new leathers. Not many options here in Fairbanks though.

Default Lowa Tibets

I have hunted sheep and mtn goat here in Colo for years in regular low cut hikers and have enjoyed the light weight with ability to cover lots of miles. The only problem I have ever had is a few stone bruises on the bottom of my feet. Obviously I have very strong ankles!

I recently bought a pair of Lowa Tibets for an uncoming AK dall sheep hunt. They weigh under 4 lbs and are very similar to the Lowa Sheep Hunters but a little shorter on the ankle and lighter. I have been hiking every day in them and they feel quite comfortable. I have relatively flat feet and the Tibets seem to have a lot of arch in them that feel pretty good. I am used to regular hikers so they feel quite stiff. On super long hikes they do feel quiet heavy and I know I could cover a lot more country in lighter boots. It will be interesting to try them out in some steeper, rocky country to see how they perform. I do like the additional padding and support in the feet which may prevent some of the soreness I've gotten over the years hiking on so many rockpiles!

If you want a medium-stiff boot you may want to try the Tibets or something similar? They aren't quite as heavy as some of the plastic boots you mentioned but still have quite a bit of support. There are quite a few reviews on the Tibets and I've hardly read any complaints! I picked mine up on sale at Sierra Trading Post for around $160...which is a bargain!

I'm by no means a sheep hunter due to past finances, and relatively new to Alaska. Upon graduating from mountaineering school, I now have a deep rooted passion for attempting to gear up for sheep and goat hunting. I've read as much as I can from all the notable Ak hunting books, observed the great info from our moderators, and devout sheep hunters on the AK forums, and have shopped around extensively for my selection of gear. I'm about 40% complete on all equipment and now comes time for the boots! One thing that I've had a hard time warming up to is all these odd colors in these mountaineering boots! I just can't do it! I can't buy a pair of boots that have the color purple, red, yellow, orange, pink, and blue ALL over them. With that said.....I picked up a pair of Liskamms (really nice color and stout construction), and just recently checked out the Lowa alpine type boots. I think I'm sold on those Lowa boots. They all have a very classic look and are also well priced. I think my hard-earned dollars will be spent on a nice pair of good looking Lowas.

are you selling your liskamms? what size??? lol...

sorry, I didn't emphasize.....I only "picked" them up to look at........... and then I "put" them back on the display when I first saw the price.

oh sorry! lol... hard to believe these boots cost half as much as a new rifle!!! dang

Default Narrow feet

As Snyd pionted out, LaSportivas are great if you have narrow feet. I am one of those "narrow-footed" dudes, B or C width. That is why I have used so many LaSportiva boots and shoes. Lowas and Scarpas are too wide for me!

If I was doing a Nov-Dec goat hunt, I would look into using my koflachs, or one of the other insulated mountaineering specific boots just for the insulation, or the ability to kick-step and wear platform crampons. As it is, Aug-Sept sheep, I will stick to my early comments/observations.

Good luck all, I've been up training in the mountains a few times, and can't wait til Aug 10th! ;-)