Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Alaska Fishing Alliance

Default Alaska Fishing Alliance

I a new group called Alaska Fishing Alliance is being formed. Anyone know anything about this? What the intent is, what groups are in it, and any other information that can be shared.

I would assume KAFC would have the answer. I haven't heard a thing.

Default heard the same...little info

I've heard about it, too...a statewide "umbrella" group, I think. From my understanding, KRSA has been involved...either through organizing its formation or at least as a member. Don't get me wrong...I'm not bashing any new group (or members) from organizing...just relaying what I've heard. I don't have any specifics about mission/goals, etc.

I do not have any specifics either. However, I for one am hoping that the Alaska Fishing Alliance will have an application process to make sure that they are not joined by any group that does not have the best interest of the everyday user groups of Alaska at heart. In other words all groups that represent sportfishing, dip netting, subsistence, personal use and such should be welcome but those that have an agenda to take over this new Alliance should not be allowed to join.

Default and who decides thiat

Quote Originally Posted by iceblue View Post
    I do not have any specifics either. However, I for one am hoping that the Alaska Fishing Alliance will have an application process to make sure that they are not joined by any group that does not have the best interest of the everyday user groups of Alaska at heart. In other words all groups that represent sportfishing, dip netting, subsistence, personal use and such should be welcome but those that have an agenda to take over this new Alliance should not be allowed to join.
    Just wondering who polices your concern and who determines what is in the best interests of the everyday user groups.

I was hoping someone had more informaiton since this the AC's have been contacted about this new organization.

What about it gusdog44 - any word from KRSA on this.

Nerka - I am a member of KRSA just as you are a member of KAFC....and, as you have often said, I don't speak for any of the organizations to which I belong. I have heard about an alliance but have no further information. If I do hear anything I'll be glad to share it with this forum.

Default Great

KAFC has not heard anything but I thought you might know if KRSA knew anything. As you pointed out being a member does not mean you or I speak for the group.

Default The contact info

The contact info is Ricky Gease and the KRSA phone number. My guess is that KRSA no longer has the credibility or the political clout to be as effective as a certain real estate developer would like... Or they might be looking for a special someone to fill a need that they can't with their own membership. Credibility. Ethics. Fair and open process. There may be others. Of course, that is just my jaded and cynical personality. But I have seen a copy of the letter and it was generated by KRSA's executive director and his contact info.

Default letter

Quote Originally Posted by Big Dipper View Post
    The contact info is Ricky Gease and the KRSA phone number. My guess is that KRSA no longer has the credibility or the political clout to be as effective as a certain real estate developer would like... Or they might be looking for a special someone to fill a need that they can't with their own membership. Credibility. Ethics. Fair and open process. There may be others. Of course, that is just my jaded and cynical personality. But I have seen a copy of the letter and it was generated by KRSA's executive director and his contact info.
    can you post the letter

Boy, I hope that's not true considering what Ricky Gease and Bob Penney's KRSA have done to the River.

Default Word on the street

is that some of the "commercial interests" may be unsigning with this alliance due to backlash from their members over the KRSA/Penny connection. Why would any organization that had commercial members agree with anything these guys do or say? Their whole organization is dedicated to elimination of commercial fishing in UCI, and that just doesn't play well with the YK boys and some of the other groups around the state who see this as a road show coming to their town.

Interesting. Of course, all is rumor, speculation and innuendo. Only time will tell.

Why the shot at KRSA and Ricky Gease? A post that says "After all that they have done for the Kenai River" followed by a unhappy face. This shot at a exectutive director and organization that has put in over 10 million dollars into Kenai River related projects for the good of all user groups. Unbelievable atttitude guys.

If it wasn't for all that KRSA has done for the Kenai River then the world would indeed be a poorer place. I for one am glad that they were in Juneau a few weeks ago with various other groups from around Alaska fighting for sportfishing, personal use, dipnetting, subsistence, and the most of the the fish themselves.

A voice that represents all statewide user groups has long been needed in Alaska and I for one and pleased to finally see this happening!

"Thank You" KRSA and Ricky Gease. Keep up the good work!

Big Dipper - since you seem to have some information about the alliance and all - please share with us what they are doing and who belong to it. What commercial interests are quitting?? I thought all the commercial interests like UCIDA and UFA and KPFA and KAFC were not involved with this....they have their own commercial group.

Please share your information.

Thanks

iceblue, you're certainly welcome to your own opinion. It's no surprise that you would disagree with mine. Obviously I don't look at things through the same set of rose-colored glasses...I'm not associated with KRSA or the commercial guide industry. Are you?

KRSA, backed by Bob Penney and directed by Ricky Gease, have pushed economic growth beyond the limits of the Kenai River far too long. And they have tried to justify that under the auspice of doing good deeds. Well, the gig's up.

KRSA and its players have been strong proponents of unlimited commercial growth, fought guide industry restrictions, driven a wedge between user groups, created social and community conflicts, pushed major political-influenced interests, effected management decisions, short-changed the local private fishermen, taken a strong anti-commercial fishing stance, and found an uncanny way to beneft from issues of concern. I don't know where to begin with the disinformation and propaganda they have distributed. Many of their good deeds, rehabilitation projects, etc. are simply necessary and reactionary efforts used to compensate for the negative impacts their "economic engine driven hard" philosophy created in the first place.

KRSA touts itself as a Steward of our beloved Kenai River. They say they represent sport fishermen. But really, one needs to look no further than the situation, condition, and issues of the River, and the contention between private fishermen and commercial sport fishermen, to see what KRSA, Bob Penney, and Ricky Gease have done.

If this Alaska Fishing Alliance has roots with KRSA, it will only be an "alliance" among those with the same common special interest agenda.

Default Grampieeeeee

Grampieeee..

Please don't take this as a shot because it's not and I am not trying to target you, but every single time I see you post it's 99.999% related to your pro-commercial opinion. I don't see you making a post on any other related topic on this forum, only when there's a "supposed" attack on any aspect related to the commercial industry. You have well over a 1,000 posts on this forum, and there's not one that I can find that's objectively productive to the forum user base, not one tip or one post that helps out a newcomer, or even one that asks a question on gear or anything for that matter. I could be off base and certainly will adapt my position, provided reasonable objections, but it certainly seems that way.

I am just curious as to why you would spend so much time to solely debate pro-commercial issues. Please, don't say to enlighten the public or for the good of the resource. There's absolutely nothing worse than "good-guy" badges.

I won't pursue this any further. I am just curious.
    Marc Theiler

Default Patience, Gusdog, patience.

Why jump right to the ending? Let's all watch and enjoy the shenanigans as they unfold. Why deprive everyone the anticipation? Meetings must take place, arguments put forth, attempts to reach an unreachable consensus must be made. As the circular firing squad forms, the slow realization that a mistake has been made...eeeexxxcellent Smithers (hands rubbed together in anticipation, evil smile, eyes slowly casting about the room)... then apologies, rationalizations, blame....In other words, politics as usual.

BTW, is it true that Palin is unbeatable?

Default not sure which quote to use

Quote Originally Posted by gusdog44 View Post
    Big Dipper - since you seem to have some information about the alliance and all - please share with us what they are doing and who belong to it. What commercial interests are quitting?? I thought all the commercial interests like UCIDA and UFA and KPFA and KAFC were not involved with this....they have their own commercial group.

Please share your information.

Thanks

Between iceblue, gusdog44, and theilercabin I was not sure which post to tackle first. So here it goes.

Gusdog44 - your including KAFC with commercial fishing groups is not correct and you know it. The organization is anything but a commercial fishing group unless you want to include the 5 sport fish biologist that sit on the board as commercial fisherman plus the 11 board members none of which holds a commercial fishing permit but everyone has a sport fish lic. I think this type of post just shows your weakness not KAFC. Of course you fear KAFC because they do represent a sport fishing group that is not on board with the KRSA agenda.

Iceblue, saying KRSA does good things for all users is just your opinion. I and a number of people in this community feel they do more harm than good. They certainly do not represent the ethics I want to see on the Kenai River or in how they conduct themselves in the political world. There is a reason people do not like Bob Penney and his form of power politics and that culture he started in KRSA still is in evidence today. Also, spending 10 million dollars - could you list the projects that add up to that amount of money- actual in-river projects, not paying for consultants and BOF costs. Because those costs do not help all user groups.

Theilercabin - go back and reread the posts Gramps has posted on hydrocarbons, turbidity, and othe habitat related issues. He is very knowledgeable about these and other management related issues. He tends to support some commercial fishing management plans because he understands the biological and social ramifications of them and he tends to point out when some on this forum are pushing an agenda based on misinformation. That unfortunately is a lot of the time.

This forum is Fisheries Management so in that context everyone who posts here has some bias or view of how things should be done. Maybe he posts the commercial side of the issues because without it there would be no balance in the overall thread nor would there be the opportunity for some to understand the issues.

I guess I misunderstood the position of the KAFC during the hearings on the BOF appointment of Mr Johnson. Every one who spoke in favor of his appointment was a commercial fisherman or representative of a commercial fishing group. Mr Kramer, who identified himself as KAFC chairman, was the only "sportfisherman" who supported the appointment of Mr. Johnson. If it quacks like a duck..........

Default Just A Guess

I am just speculating here. Could this be an attempt to organize all sport and personal use and subsistence groups to have a "louder" voice when jostling with commercial interests over allocation and regulation? The recent controversy surrounding Brent Johnson's "failed" nomination may have motivated the "mouse" to join forces with the other "mice" to make an attack on the cat! While I think such a group may turn into the mouse that roared, I am not so sure that it will have the bite it seeks if it aligns itself with KRSA. Too many people, especially peninsula residents, will equate that with "The Bob Penney Show." I am not anti KRSA. They have done a lot of good, and I think it's a little unfair to characterize their efforts as pure "damage control" from the "engine running hard". I just think that in the publics perception they have become an organization that doesn't always represent "Joe Fishermans" perspective. That being said, such a group, if formed and organized, could certainly be a player. Like I said, pure speculation on my part.

Default My humble opinion only

So what if the little guys, that sportfish or dipnet a week or two out of the summer, fill their freezer? What if a spread out group of subsistence, sportfish and personal users actually tried to form an alliance, to represent 90% of the population, that partake? What if they were from all walks of life and all parts of the state?

Is that so wrong? Don't know. I do know I see some taking potshotes at KRSA, and liken them to the Devil, for the resource. KRSA does not run Juneau, nor the Financial stakes that made the Governor try to appoint another commercial fisher to the BOF. She admitted in Fairbanks two weeks prior to Johnson's vote, his name was a political move only. She admitted that on live radio. Is that KRSA's fault? NOT! Is Tod a commercial Fisher? Ya!
    But let us villify Ricky Gease and KRSA for a possible involvement of a statewide movement, to represent consumptive users. The commercials are trying to flex too much muscle and guess what, the public is saying, not only no, But... Hell no. What did the legislature just vote down Johnson by?? Almost 5 to 1. That has gotta tell you folks that the winds of change are blowing. No matter how much is being promised. I have heard rumors that legal bills would be paid if certain seats on the BOF slipped through. Is that true? Probably not, but let us just villify anyway.

Until I saw bylaws set in stone, membership publicly listed, knock it off, all of you. This must be rumorville 101. I'm new to this allocation and Bof stuff but when My fifteen year old daughter starts backpeddleing on a new friend. I tell her to wait and see. Don't jump to conclusions just yet. So to all my fifteen year old daughters out there, Just take a wait and see attitude. God bless and Goodnight

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast