Thread: canoe repair

Default canoe repair

I have a mad river canoe (royalex) that I need to repair some cracks in it.
    Last winter my husband was chipping ice out of it with a small sledge and bounced back and through...needless to say I was less than impressed!

It has a star like series of cracks on the side of the hull that go all the way through.

Any suggestions on how to best repair this? It doesn't have to be pretty, this is our whitewater boat!

Cracks that go all the way through the hull of royalex??? Wow! That's some serious damage. The best way to fix these cracks is to apply thick patches of gel coat. Gel coat should be avail. from the Mad River Dealer. Gel coat can be pigment matched to exactly match the color of your boat. Since the damage is strutural.....you will want the patches to be fairly thick....especially on the inside of the boat. The formulation of the stuff is so that it is a flexible resin......good luck and welcom to the forum!

Default Royalex repair

I have seen a material called Flexane used to repair Royalex. It is a 2 part tough, flexable urethane product and was available from Alaska Rubber. Drawback is that it only comes in one color .. black. I suppose it could be painted. Good luck!

i sure wouldn't use gelcoat on a plastic boat. gelcoat hardens and is not overly flexible. even if you got it to stick i doubt it would last. i suspect it would pop off the first time the boat ran over a rock or log.

contact mad river directly and see what they recommend.

i can just imagine what the first two words out of your hubbies mouth were!

in the future, store the boat upside down on a couple saw horses or similar devices. if possible get it out from direct exposure, under a house is good, under the eaves, etc. and, whatever you do, DON'T touch the thing until the temps way above zero. its a canoe, its OK with water, even water in the form of ice...

gulk,
    gel coat is what the Mad River Canoe company recommend for repair of their royalex canoe. If the guys who make the canoe recommend gel-coat........what would not make it a worthy repair option in your opinion??

actually, they recommend gelcoat for their composite canoes. their rec for "deep scratches" is rolayex is as follows:

Is repairing Royalex difficult?
    Not particularly. Royalex® repair often consists of restoring damage caused by an accumulation
    of wear and tear and this type of repair is not difficult or complex. It does get more challenging if
    you're intent on repairing a boat that has been wrapped or severely distorted to the point where
    the hull has torn. The difficult part is not the actual repair of the hull material but in restoring the
    original hull shape. In situations like this, you are usually also facing replacement of the gunwales
    or rails as the hull can be distorted far more severely without permanent damage than can these
    structural members.
    Repair of dents and deep scratches involves filling with Royalex® repair resin. Repair resin is a
    puttylike 2-part resin that cures to a hard finish. Some sanding will be required as well. Repairing
    tears or cracks requires multiple layers of Kevlar® cloth laid in and covered by the repair resin.
    Fiberglass cloth can also be used but the inherent flexibility of Kevlar® better matches that of
    Royalex®. Structural repair is generally done on the interior of the hull.

crista's problem is more severe, not just scratches or gouges, but splits all the way through. this is a serious structural problem. which is why i suggest she tries talking to MR directly.

more details in MR repair can be found at:

http://www.madrivercanoe.com/pages/i...epair/articles

-gulk

Thanks for the discussion! I had spoken previously to Mad River, but I didn't find them too helpful.

I utilized this sunny week to do the initial repair on the canoe. I did the repair on the inside of the canoe, now all I need to do is add some fabric and resin to the outside for extra support/waterproofness.

Here is a before picture.
    Attached Images Attached Images

wow! that is ugly. ouch.

let us know how the repair goes and what you used and how you did it. and, post pics of it if you can.

did this incident result in your hubby promising to do ALL the portaging?