Thread: Best gear?

Default Best gear?

Planning a (2-3month long) trip to alaska and was wonderine what gear you guys like the most, from sleeping bags to tents and etc? any info helps.

check the archives, you will find tons of info! How much do you want to spend? What type of activities are you planning?

Tough question. My gear is from a mix of sources: REI, Cabela's, Army-Navy surplus, used, and a few small businesses that make products I can't find elsewhere. I think Cabela's is my favorite place for gear that I use for Alaska trips.

A lot of people have different ways of going about enjoying the outdoors. I'm into lightweight hiking, but that might not be your cup of tea; shoot me a PM if you're interested in learning more.
    Tsimshian tribe, wolf clan, the house of Walsk.

Broad question man, but many here (including myself) love to talk about outdoors gear. Post a follow up on where you will be, what you have planned, and such like LuJon suggests. That will help alot. Really big difference in car camping, short hikes, or remote travel. Is it going to be in a rented RV, a backpack, a raft/canoe, etc..
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

the term BEST leaves the door wide open!

Tent: Winter the Alaska tent and tarp "Arctic Oven". Summer Hilleberg Nallo 2/3/4 depending on # of people.

Sleeping bag: Wiggys for synthetic or a Western Mountaineering for ultralight down bags.

Boots: Lowa or Scarpas for the mountains. Various calf high rubber boots will get the job done for you in the swamps (which is all of alaska that is not mountain), Extra toughs are popular but lacross makes a bunch w/ more agressive soles

Waders: Simms

Binos swarovski/leica/zeiss you choose

Pants: depends on what you are doing and your personal fit. Good brands are Mammut, Arc-Tyrex, Mountain Hardwear, for "camo" lots of people love the Sitka gear but my first set fell apart on me. They have a good warranty program though and replaced the gear for me.

Jackets: pretty much same as pants Mountain Hardwear is very popular in AK for good reason. Integral Designes is another top notch choice here

Packs: Internal Frame Mystery Ranch, or McHales($$$). External Frame -Barneys Kevlar hunter pack

Base layer: smart wool, Cabelas microtex, Patogonia

Socks: I like summer weight merino wool sox year round in AK. smart wool makes nice ones.

Rain gear: I have Helly Hansen Impertech and it is widly regarded as the best bet to keep you dry. If you are working hard hiking while wearing them though you may wet out from the inside through perspiration. I am looking at Integral Designs Event rain gear for back packing because it is (supposes to be) both water proof AND breathable. Lots of gear claims this feat but everything I have tested to date proved to be one or the other, never both!!

Trekking poles: If you are hiking alot then they are a good idea, They have saved my knees a LOT of wear and tear! I like Black Diamond with their "flick lock" system. My poles never slip after adjustment!

Camp stove: Summer Hiking w/ dehydrated food I love my Jetboil. Winter it is time to break out the MSR whisper light (international).

Water filter: I have a Katadyn Hiker, the pro hiker may be a bit better. Tons of people love the MSR Min Works.

GPS: Garmin Colorado 400t

Default Narrowed down a bit...

Ok I have a 7000 cu pack and would be spending up to 3 weeks just on what i can fit in there. Lightweight would be helpful but not necisary and I would probably be In Katmai National Park around June. I have a great pair of boots but i would like to know what type of (allseason) tent that is somewhat lightweight would be best and also I need to know what type of Pants, socks, and under layers i would need. On top of what type of sleeping bag would work best. (I do not plan on changing clothes all to often) Do any of you guys know of someone who makes lightweight cookware that stores inside itself? I would have a (registered) ruger super redhawk in .44mag with me for protection (but i doubt ill need to use it). One more thing though, have you ever heard of Ravenware? i think its fleece clothing but im not sure

I will make a few general suggestions....

First thing I would figure out would be food. This is issue number one if you ask me on a trip as long as you are planning. Mountain House "Pro Paks" are small and easy, but even they add up. You may want to look into dehydrating yourself and researching on the backpacker forums is a good place to start. Three weeks worth of food will really fill up a pack quickly. A good water filter, like the MSR Mini-works would be my suggestion for filter. It fits on a Nalgene. Very slick and field servicable. The service kit is about $20, but includes many items to keep the filter going strong. I have used one for years and never had a failure, but it is nice to know it can be repaired in the field if need be.

After that, rethink your "Lightweight would be helpful but not necisary" thought. I think you will need a very lightweight selection of gear. 2 lb bag, 3 lb tent, etc.. would be a wonderful place to start searching. For stove, fuel is going to add up. Consider a wood burning lightweight backpacking stove. This is of course assuming you will be in an area with fuel (wood) and it sounds like that is the case.

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...ood_stove.html

Check out the Backpacker Magazine forum. Check out the "Backcountry Cooking" and "Gear" section. Lots of great info there.

http://www.backpacker.com/cgi-bin/forums/ikonboard.cgi

For a pot set, here is one idea...

http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___82432

For a solo trip in Katmai, maybe a PLB would be a good investment. I have one and use it on remote float trips. Awesome product. A nice back up for the back up if you will...

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

My bag choice (for float trips) very lightweight and packs small. Warm too (I have the zero)

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...set=ISO-8859-1

My tent choice is below. Made by Black Diamond. Very lightweight and super design. I have the Guiding Light, but for one person, they make several smaller and lighter tents. Many in the 3 lb range. The below model packs to 6" x 9" and weighs just over 3 lbs.

http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com...firstlight.php

Note your first post said "2-3 months" and this recent post said 3 weeks. Clarify that perhaps. Big difference

Even if just 3 weeks, I still think you will find the need for some very lightweight (and high quality) gear choices.

Good luck man. Sounds like an awesome trip. Just be sure to do your homework.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Default Gear list

Thats a nice Gear list Lujon, but one word sums that up...CHA CHING!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by kahahawai View Post
    Thats a nice Gear list Lujon, but one word sums that up...CHA-CHING!!!!
    We will except a hyphenate as "one word" so I fixed it for ya.

The OP did say "Best" right?

Im glad you caught that dan, it is a 2-3 month "excursion" but its only a 3 week camping trip Thanks for all the suggestions, I will be with another person so that PLB would be a great addition for one of us to have. But i do have to agree with Kahahawai and Lujon that is a lot of expensive stuff. Im only fourteen and i can deal with stuff that is fairly expensive but i would almost rather have a 100 (i think) dollar spot locater than that 600 dollar PLB I do like that tent though

You would be well advised to study the sticky: Sheep Hunting Gear Lists, and then ask questions based on that review. Be careful with firearms in the national parks - those guidelines/restrictions are currently in a sort of "dynamic" state. Have a good trip and good luck.