Thread: Lots of geese.

Default Lots of geese.

Down on the mouth of the Kenai River there are all sorts of geese & ducks. Snows & speckles I have really never seen in that large numbers up here. Place is packed w/ them. Makes for great pics.

Back home we would have Blue wing & Cinnamon teal role through in the spring, but you never saw a one in the Fall? They took a different route back.

Wondering if the snows & speckles travel back through in the Fall or all you see are the Canadians?

I've been out flying over the hay flats the past week and seen a LOT of larger birds - swans, cranes, and geese - mostly Canadas, but some speckles too . . .

Default kenai

The specs and snows do travel back through the kenai area but nowhere near what your seeing out there right now. specs usually come through first around the last week of september 1st week of october. The snows come through usually around the time of the first snow fall last week of october or so. Unfortunately they dont stop over in kenai in high numbers you may see 2 or 3 flocks of snows that may stick around for a day or 2 same with specs. The canadas come through in bigger numbers but most of them fly on through and dont stop. You will see some canadas spend a nite or 2 though all depends on what the weather is doing. If you spend enough time out there during the migration you will get a chance at geese.

AK_DUCKMAN, myself and few others, saw a bunch in Palmer on Sunday while out golfing. Saw some cranes, too.

Saw about 50 cranes WAY UP HIGH yesterday at about 8:30.

Some geese and cranes have hit the lower Yukon. No snows yet though, but I give them time to fatten up a bit first before going out.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!