Thread: Cell phone /Petersville

Default Cell phone /Petersville

What cell phone coverage works the best out petersville rd. And how far out. What about texting ?
    PEOPLE SAY I HAVE A.D.D I DON'T UNDERSTA.....OH LOOK A MOOSE !!!

We have a cabin back off oilwell roadon amber lake ACS is the only way out there. As far as peterville it hit and miss texing works tho.

Quote Originally Posted by Roger View Post
    What cell phone coverage works the best out petersville rd. And how far out. What about texting ?

I have an ACS phone and have never had trouble with reception. I just get up on the hilltops if I want to make a call.

Default Cell phones today are a joke in AK

The bigger question is why do we have to ask what cell phones work where? It used to be that ACS, GCI, MTA, etc cell phones all worked great off the road system in the Su Valley. Whereas now it is hit or miss. The 3 watt analog bag phones were great. Then they switched to 1 watt analog phones and with a Yagi antenna they worked fine. But now with the 1/3 watt digital phones that are designed with a max range so little Suzy to call home from the mall ... people that actually live in or venture out into semi-remote Alaska are screwed. Thanks ACS and GCI, too bad you are so clueless as to the needs of real Alaskans. (And yes - I have bought a cell phone amplifier ... and it does not work well where the old analog cell phones used to work fine).

Quote Originally Posted by Dinglishna View Post
    The bigger question is why do we have to ask what cell phones work where? It used to be that ACS, GCI, MTA, etc cell phones all worked great off the road system in the Su Valley. Whereas now it is hit or miss. The 3 watt analog bag phones were great. Then they switched to 1 watt analog phones and with a Yagi antenna they worked fine. But now with the 1/3 watt digital phones that are designed with a max range so little Suzy to call home from the mall ... people that actually live in or venture out into semi-remote Alaska are screwed. Thanks ACS and GCI, too bad you are so clueless as to the needs of real Alaskans. (And yes - I have bought a cell phone amplifier ... and it does not work well where the old analog cell phones used to work fine).
    I could'nt agree more! Thats one of the biggest reasons I broke down and bought a sat phone. The cell phones are too unreliable.

I find that getting out of cell phone range is a luxury. It's one of the best things about Alaska. I never thought to complain about it!

ACS is the only way to go. They have the best coverage. They are a little more expensive but they are the only company i will ever use.

I use my MTA phone just fine wherever my delivery trucks go up Petersville. I think they have an agreement with ACS, though, sharing some towers. You think coverage in Alaska is bad?? I just got back from traveling in N. California from Petaluma to Redding. The amount of dead zones in some pretty populated areas is amazing.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

AT&T seems to work well from most hill tops in that area.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

I have a cabin on kroto creek and the sat phone is the only way,hit the hill a mile and 1/2 away and you might get out with cell service.

I agree that ACS has the best coverage. On a recent ATV ride up the Purington Creek Trail, I had 4 bars all the way back while my Sweetie and my friend (who use two competing carriers) had spotty to non-existent reception. I nearly always have better reception.

One thing that may be of import though is that I use an older flip-style phone that I've had for 8 or 9 years. I have heard that many of the newer phones are designed to run on a network type that we do not yet have in Alaska. I may get the better reception due more to that than to ACS, as the other folks I know use newer model phones such as iPhones and Razors.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.