Results 1 to 5 of 5

Thread: Black bear numbers up Yentna River

  1. #1
    Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Wasilla
    Posts
    81

    Default Black bear numbers up Yentna River

    I am a long time reader of these forums and find them to be an invaluable resource of shared knowledge and a wealth of useful information. Many of you are very savvy and willing to share personal experience with others, and I truly appreciate that. I have wanted for many years to try my hand at setting up and running a black bear bait station, taking the class back in 2004. I am ashamed to say that work has affected nearly ALL my plans involving family, something that is no longer acceptable and which is something long overdue to remedy. I know of no better way to introduce my treasured grandsons to black bear hunting, observing many bears and taking "that ONE special bear with their name on it". My son-in-law and daughter built a beautiful large and comfortable cabin last year, about 10 miles up the Yentna from the mouth of the Big Su, and we have a very comfortable jet boat for summer access and snowmachines for winter access...along with ATV's for transportation out there. Here is my question to the MANY wonderful guys who read this column along with myself. Does anyone know the approximate population density of Black Bears in that vicinity, and would one have better luck setting up a bait station on the south or north shore in that area? I know it is already virtually too late to find a suitable location and get it set up this year, however am optimistic that we can plan for it by finding an acceptable spot for next year. Any thoughts and opinons from "those in the know" would be TRULY very much appreciated, as I try hard to bring up the blessings of several wonderful grandsons to my passion of hunting in this greatest place on Earth we are all blessed to call home...Alaska. Thank you in advance for your advice and may your own hunts be safe and sucessful. Take care...Craig Ingraham in Wasilla

  2. #2

    Wink

    Grizz,
    That area is loaded with both black and brown bears. It is not too late this year to set up a bait site. Most wait until the river is runnable with a boat and start then. The bears don't get real active there until the third week of May. If you don't want to run a bait station, I suggest you focus your hunt on the lower Su, with your jet boat. Simply spend evenings drifting along the river looking for bears eating the Hooligan. It is their first food source, even before they start going after the moose calves. It is not unusual to see up to fifteen or twenty bears a day, from the boat, if you work the sandbars from the mouth of the Yentna, to down by where the powerlines cross below the confluence of the Alexander. Be cautious when drifting and don't allow yourself to get going down one of the fingers with a log jam. Stay in the main channels and you will do fine.

    Any one of the sloughs along the Yentna are fine for baiting, so long as you keep your distance from the cabins.
    Good luck
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

  3. #3
    New member
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Anchorage
    Posts
    81

    Default You can bait across from a cabin

    If it is a major river system. But, you should be considered.

  4. #4
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default

    As already noted, both brown bear and black bears are really common throughout the Yentna River area.
    AlaskaGrizz, just up the Yentna River several more miles from your cabin, is where Charlie Vandergaw has created his strange "Bear Haven" for the last 20 years.

    Dennis
    AK TAGS

  5. #5
    Member AlaskaTrueAdventure's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2006
    Location
    Paradise (Alaska)
    Posts
    1,543

    Default Yentna-Bear Haven

    As already noted, both brown bear and black bears are really common throughout the Yentna River area.
    AlaskaGrizz, just up the Yentna River several more miles from your cabin, is where Charlie Vandergaw has created his strange "Bear Haven" for the last 20 years.

    I prefer the spot and stalk, float and stalk advise from Akres, above, only 'cause I do not sit well over bait. But regardless of style or technique, it is a high population bear area. But, them bears do get very motor-noise cautious, I believe.

    Dennis
    AK TAGS

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •