Thread: .338 Federal, one gun for AK??

Default .338 Federal, one gun for AK??

Looking at maybe getting the 338 federal in a Kimber Montana.
    Anyone have experience with this round??
    Thanks for any info or advice, pro or con.
    Would be hunting just about everything with it, from sheep to bears.

Lots of threads on this round if you do a search here and hunting section

I would suggest going to the RELOADERS NEST web site and check out the best loads people are really obtaining with handloads.
    Factory loads were not very impressive when I tried them.

In the end, my personal conclusion was that the 338 Federal was not as good as the old 358 Winchester Cartridge when both are handloaded.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default great caliber

I think the 338 federal is the best caliber to come along in years, in all the so called experts opinions that you read about in the gun magazines they say its a great round for everything but the big bears. I think its a great round for them too if proper bullets are used. I have a left hand tikka in 338 and love it, its very accurate and hits hard. i do agree with float pilot i think the 358 is better, but only out to 200 yards then the 338 federal reels it in, but for most hunting you would never know the difference between them.

I agree itís a good compromise and more than adequate for anything in Alaska. There are better rounds for any particular animal, but for 1 do it all round that will reach out for sheep and goat and still be good enough for bear it is a good pick. However, in my view that takes away all the fun of having a bunch of guns to pick from for each hunt, and I always want a backup gun in camp anyway.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

The 338 Fed looks like a great round, but what a sad future for hunters to have only one gun.

Default These are the guns I have

Thanks for the replies here.
    I am adding to my small arsenal with a new gun and trying to decide which one. I really would like a very light rifle.
    I currently have a

Ruger 300 WSM
    Remington 7MMUM
    Remington 30-06
    Marlin 45-70
    wife has a Winchester .270

Because I want such a light rifle I thought the recoil of the 338 federal would be manageable.

Anymore advice?

Default .338 Fed would be a good choice!

Plenticoupe,
    I have a .338 Fed in Kimber Montana SS with Leupold Ultrallight scope. Extremely light weapon and it shoots beautifully, within MOA. Handles great and has wonderful smooth action. I tried commercial ammo and the only commercial ammo it liked was the Barnes 185gr TSX. I also reload, and this rifle seems to like the Barnes 185gr and Speer Hot Cor 200 gr. it will also tolerate Sierra GKBT 215gr bullets. The best powder I have found is RL15 for my rifle, I also tried Varget. It is a very light weapon, therefore it kicks a bit but is very managable. Hope this helps you make a decision. Blessings,
    CHAPS

Hey, yukon, If you ever want to sell that lefty 338 Fed you know who to talk to.

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

A lightweight rifle, that you can use for everything ? ?

I'd hafta agree with the following from ADfields.

" "I agree itís a good compromise and more than adequate for anything in Alaska. There are better rounds for any particular animal, but for 1 do it all round that will reach out for sheep and goat and still be good enough for bear it is a good pick." "

Mine is gonna be a 7x57, (When it's finished) but the 338 Fed. could be a better choice. I'm guessing that cartridge, unlike some other new ones, will last. I'm convinced it should, anyway.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

I too was thinking of playing that game of poker and getting a kimber 338 fed. If I were to handload for the catridge I'd probably chose the 185 gr. barnes mrx, or the accubond of the same weight. The second bullet that I would hand load would be the 225 grain swift. The first noted loading would be my long range bullet for sheep and goats, the second would be for the decent and returning float trip as a bear protection cartridge. In a lightweigt rife.......that's alot of versatility. Not to mention that the cartridge is loaded to a higher pressure.....they are milking everything they can get from that 308 case!

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Hmmm,

Assuming one loads the same bullets that are used for the 338 WM, in a 338 Federal, (necessarily, at a lower velocity), I wonder how important it would be to use a Premium (Controlled Expansion) bullet.

The greater the distance, the less the velocity, and less the need for tuff construction to insure penetration.

I'm not sure how great the effect, and I doubt if bullet construction is that beeg an issue even with the 338 WM.

(I thought these Controlled Expansion/Tuff construction bullet designs were for high velocity and/or lightweight bullets.)

Anyway, perhaps the 338 Fed. has an advantage, however slight, in that regard. (Insuring penetration.)

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Every time the topic involves a Kimber then feeding issues are brought up. Three of my coyote hunting buddies all bought Kimbers. Two are in 338 Fed and one in 308 and they all three feed fine. The 308 shoots good with everything but the 338's are more finiky, however Butch did work up a load with 220 grainers that put three rounds into one ragged hole @ 100yds. I will find out what that load is and post it later today.

After rereading my post it sounds like they bought these Kimbers to kill coyotes with. They are working out details on a pig hunt down in Beartooths neck of the woods. They all already have plenty of guns that would get the job done on pigs but........I guess I probably don't need to explain the need for more guns to anyone on here!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    however Butch did work up a load with 220 grainers that put three rounds into one ragged hole @ 100yds. I will find out what that load is and post it later today.

Hey was wondering if you were able to get the reloading data for the 220 grainers

Thanks