Thread: 100lb mono for halibut leaders

Default 100lb mono for halibut leaders

I have some 100lb mono and i tied up a few rigs. I got some Franko Bullet Rotators and they are to big for salmon so i thought i would play around with them for butts when i am not jigging. Is 100lb going to get cut by their teeth? Thanks for your help!

I've used 100# and 150# leaders. I haven't had any problems yet. Been using them for over 15 yrs. I always add a big spin-n-glow, I think it helps float the bait a little

I only use gangion line 350lb because I fish everyday, I would cover the mono near the hook with that rubber tubing, its great protection and they make it in lots of colors now.
    Frank
    Alaska Wildrose Charters and Cabins
    www.wildroselodge.com

Default 100 pound

You will slay the halibut with 100 pound, a bullet rotator with a single siwash hook. 1.4mm crimps if you want to do it that way.

I use 300# and crimp on my swivels and hooks, but no reason not to use 100#. You might find that 100# is just stiff enough that you'd rather crimp it than knot it. Just inspect your leaders periodically for cuts, and replace as needed.

If I didn't already have a spool of 300# mono I'd use gagnon. The up side of gagnon is you can soak in herring oil to add scent, and it's limp so has a more natural action than the stiffer mono.

I have some gagnion line as well but it wont work with the bullet rotator head. I had a few that were to big for Salmon so i thought why not try it for Halibut.