Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 30-06 & New Lots of Powder Can Be Trying

Default 30-06 & New Lots of Powder Can Be Trying

Sometimes new lots of powder can present all kinds of problems for the reloader and one thing for sure GB300Win was correct when he said, "I would groan every time I had to go to a new lot of powder." Man was that ever a descriptive statement.

My 358Win really loved that first pound of AA2495BR that GB300Win gave me to try. I would get 2480fps out of it and you all know how accurate the stuff was. Well, Jerry also gave me eight pounds of AA2495BR, new, never opened and it was a different lot than the first.

Well it was as accurate as the first pound he gave me, but would only give me 2330-2360fps. It was 4.85% cooler than the initial pound Jerry gave me to try. I had to develop new loads using Varget and IMR4320 that gave 1/2" to 3/4" groups with velocities of 2478fps-2510fps. So when I run out of that first pound of AA2495BR I will have good go to loads for my 358Win.

I have found a use for this eight pounds of AA2495BR. I will be using it in my 30-06 that I have been working with. This 06 has caused me to have patience but I always believed I could get it to shoot good without doing anything to the rifle. It is a good out of the box shooter.

POP ran his program and it said that with a 165gr bullet 51grs and above was dangerous. I have been able to get this lot of powder with a 165gr bullet to 52grs of powder and no flattened primers, no mark bases of brass and no over expanded brass bases.

51grs-52grs of AA2495BR brass

Here are the results of the day:

50.5grs just over an inch

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Continued pictures of today's results.

51grs just under 3/4"

51.5grs 1/2"

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

more pictures

52grs .832"

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

52.5grs I put two through the same hole and threw the third but new I did. Will test that load again. Here are the fps of 52.5grs
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

BT, I never weary or get bored with your threads. I pick up a lot of experience and insight from your efforts and thanks for sharing them

Oh yeah.... uhhh... when ya gonna get a 300 WSM???

Quote Originally Posted by MontanaRifleman View Post
    BT, I never weary or get bored with your threads. I pick up a lot of experience and insight from your efforts and thanks for sharing them

Oh yeah.... uhhh... when ya gonna get a 300 WSM???
    I was going to put a super charger on my 06 and if I can figure that out and get it done I won't need a 300WSM
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Quote Originally Posted by beartooth View Post
    I was going to put a super charger on my 06 and if I can figure that out and get it done I won't need a 300WSM
    Make sure you are wearing your eye protection eh....

Make sure you are wearing your eye protection eh....
    Good point, of course you know I am kidding about the turbo charger or making my 06 do anything other than it was designed for. I like the 06 because of bullet choice and weight variety from 110 to 250 and you know on previous post on this forum, I have worked up loads for my 06's with 125, 150, 165, 168, 180, 190, 200, 220, 240 and 250. This load development along with killing game through the years with all but the 190gr bullet is why I like the 06.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Good point, of course you know I am kidding about the turbo charger or making my 06 do anything other than it was designed for. I like the 06 because of bullet choice and weight variety from 110 to 250 and you know on previous post on this forum, I have worked up loads for my 06's with 125, 150, 165, 168, 180, 190, 200, 220, 240 and 250. This load development along with killing game through the years with all but the 190gr bullet is why I like the 06.
    Yup, I knew you were kiddin'

Actually, I dont remember you working up loads for 125 and 250 gr bullets? How does the standard 10 twist work on the 240 and 250 gr bullets?

I do rember you working your magic on the Weatherby and getting excellent velocity oput of it and the velocity in this Ruger is looking real good too.

Keep up the good work

Yup, I knew you were kiddin'

Actually, I dont remember you working up loads for 125 and 250 gr bullets? How does the standard 10 twist work on the 240 and 250 gr bullets?

I do rember you working your magic on the Weatherby and getting excellent velocity oput of it and the velocity in this Ruger is looking real good too.

Keep up the good work
    I did 125gr Sierra game king that I used on coyote and deer but did not show results just mentioned in passing by. I did show some results of 240gr Woodleigh in 300wby and my 30-06 Kimber Montana. The 250grs were recorded data I mentioned in passing that I did years ago with Barnes 250gr originals. Some of these were mentioned on other's threads as a post.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

What velocities can you get with the 250 in the 30/06?

Quote Originally Posted by Proud American View Post
    What velocities can you get with the 250 in the 30/06?

Out of a 24" barrel my loads ranged from 2245fps to 2308fps
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Not bad! I have only shot 220 grainers as the heavy load before out of my ole O3/A3...

Accuracy is the same but was able to accomplish the following in "FPS" with AA2495BR and without having above max pressure signs.

With the 165gr bullet in Winchester brass I was able to go to 52grs of AA2495BR with this cool lot and not have any over max pressure signs, 52.5 was on the edge of being over max. I was only able to reach 51grs with Nosler brass because at 51.5 pressure jumped.

Here are the FPS results using AA2495BR, 210 Fed primers, Winchester brass and 165gr Sierra HPBT, OAL 3.1945"

50grs AA2495BR velocity and extreme spread

51.5grs AA2495BR velocity and extreme spread

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

52grs AA2495BR velocity and extreme spread

A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Again, great results BT! That velocity and ES is awesome. The accuracy wont exactley win a competiton but plenty good for hunting out past 500 yds.

I notice you are using the Fed 210 primers. Do you think the match primers are any better? I heard and read people thnk there isn't a noticable difference.

Again, great results BT! That velocity and ES is awesome. The accuracy wont exactley win a competiton but plenty good for hunting out past 500 yds.

I notice you are using the Fed 210 primers. Do you think the match primers are any better? I heard and read people thnk there isn't a noticable difference.
    I am not sure because I have found that it sometimes does and sometimes doesn't make a difference. I do know that 215 mag primers made a difference in my 358Win but I am suspect that is due to the small case capacity being jammed plum full to a max compressed load and needing to ignite the powder quickly. This allowed it to be maximized in the small case and short 22" barrel while increasing it's proficiency in the space given.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I do like to make sure of my loads so I have complete confidence in the field that when I put my scope on what ever I am hunting with in my limits as a shooter that I do connect and make a quick kill.

I will be going back if weather permits this Thursday and will confirm my loads not only in accuracy but my fps as well as extreme spread. If all continues as is or improves I will have established a very good load in terms of hunting accuracy, velocity, energy and momentum.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

I will be going back if weather permits this Thursday and will confirm my loads not only in accuracy but my fps as well as extreme spread. If all continues as is or improves I will have established a very good load in terms of hunting accuracy, velocity, energy and momentum.
    And then sell it and start over again

And then sell it and start over again
    You know, I have done that for many years and had a ball. I have owned or do own the following and hand loaded for all except the 22lr and 22mag and killed game with every one of the cartridges below. I would not sell something until I had killed some game with it (only two rifles here so far I have not killed anything with is my 358Win and this new 06 although I have killed a lot of game through the years with an 06).

They are: 22lr, 22mag, 22-250, 223, 243, 25-06, 257Wby, 260, 270, 7mm08, 7mm mag, 7mmSTW, 30-30, 30-06, 30-06Ackley IMp, 300Win, 300Wby, 303, 338Win, 358Win, 35 Whelen, 375Win, 375Wby, 416Wby, 44mag, 444 Marlin, 45/70, 450 Marlin, 458Win mag and some of these cartridges in more that one rifle over 30 years of shooting and hunting.

But my favorite hands down is the 30-06, plain and simple and I sure I will like the 358Win.

Now that said, I will not, let me say that again NOT!!!!!!! sell or buy anymore rifles or revolvers. What I have is it and that is a promise to myself much less my wife who has put up with my buying and selling all these years and has not complained. I am just tired of doing it and have settled for my 300Wby, 30-06, 358Win and 22-250. Really, this is it for me and I will hunt with this from now on and reload for these. Knowing me I might actually wear them out.
    A GUN WRITER NEEDS:
    THE MIND OF A SCHOLAR
    THE HEART OF A CHILD
    THE HIDE OF A RHINOCEROS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast