Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Eagle River Kings

Default Eagle River Kings

Just rented a house that the backyard dumps into the river. I see from the regs it's pretty limited on the times you can fish it.
    Anyone had any luck fishing here? Would be kind of cool to fish out of the backyard.
    Fish IT! Hunt IT! or *#%@ IT!

Over by loop road bridge? I have fished that river by the loop road bridge for YEARS and have come home with one 15lbs King and hooked a couple. I seem to have more luck during very high water, otherwise they seem to run deep in the middle channel. I head down there to fish mainly to get some time away from the house in the evening not expecting much. If you are looking to fish close to home it's fun, if you are looking to catch fish it is a waste of time.

Default Parkview Terrace

Quote Originally Posted by Water_Gremlin View Post
    Over by loop road bridge? I have fished that river by the loop road bridge for YEARS and have come home with one 15lbs King and hooked a couple. I seem to have more luck during very high water, otherwise they seem to run deep in the middle channel. I head down there to fish mainly to get some time away from the house in the evening not expecting much. If you are looking to fish close to home it's fun, if you are looking to catch fish it is a waste of time.
    Is where we will be at. Kind of figured it would be a bust since I couldn't find much info around. Well now you have confirmed it.
    Thanks

I use to fish it alot,it's the water condition that will hamper your chance at catching fish,if the water condition stay good you can catch kings from late may until it closes.... ps there are some brusers in that system....

there are no fish in eagle river I wouldn't bother
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Lightbulb

Me thinks AKPM has a secret spot.....
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

Me thinks AKPM is padding his post count again with the usual spew.

I have seen 50+ pounders come out of that river but the fish are very far and few between. Occasionally people get lucky and timed the run just right. That murky glacial river does not provide the best fishing conditions, that's for sure.

I've fished between the Glen Highway Bridge, the bridge behind my house, and up to the south fork to death with lil results. Is this were the internet cop jumps in? duh there's more to be fished than just kings. Local residents have told me of the "hot spots" but never tried them. Typically later in the year deep holes after the water has cleared up. By then the fish are ready to spawn.

I think you can only fish at the campgrounds or at least some restricted area. Can't fish just anywhere and there are only certain times that it's open to fishing.

Yea, we know to check the regs

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I think you can only fish at the campgrounds or at least some restricted area. Can't fish just anywhere and there are only certain times that it's open to fishing.
    That's true for kings, but not for other salmon species. That's what gremlin meant by "there's more to be fished than just kings."

[QUOTE=Water_Gremlin;484258]Me thinks AKPM is padding his post count again with the usual spew.
    QUOTE]

Gremmy, That one shot beer out the nose. Point made for sure.

Back in the late 70's and very early 80's when I was a "bit" younger, we had very good success chasing salmon in the river. call it young and naive or whatever but we caught alot of fish around the camp ground area. Im sure the regs were different back then too.
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight

I definately did not catch most of the salmon in my life between ages 5 and 16 somehwere I could bike too, instead I went to Montana creek, or somewhere eequally as far.

Seriously ER is tough fishing I wouldn't bother... With Kings

The reason that its open is they used to stock it, also there was a pretty massive run of kings back in the day according to some old timers the problem is that from the campground down is not super good prospecting water. I have heard of folks having decent success fishing the tides down on base though.

Nowadays there are silvers pinks chums and even a few reds and if you find my secerate spot, be tight lipped about it, we keep seeing more and more folks there its annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    Nowadays there are silvers pinks chums and even a few reds and if you find my secerate spot, be tight lipped about it, we keep seeing more and more folks there its annoying.
    I imagine you have the same "secret" (or secerate ) spot as me. It's no secret, but it still doesn't get much traffic. I've only shared that spot twice. Most the time I'm all alone, with the exception of the massive brown bear tracks littering the area.

sounds like you know the place Brian, and yea lots and lots of bears, still haven't seen one, they have a healthy fear of people i guess, but we see tracks and water like they just got out of the river and walked off every time we go down that way spooky as heck

Default Checking the regs

there is only 3, 3day times in which it can be fished for Kings. So I don't think I will be spending much time down there, but just thought I would ask since it will be close.

I wish i could find a spot on the river to catch fish. I live in eagle river and t would be nice to fish a little closer to home

Quote Originally Posted by Raptor_1 View Post
    Yea, we know to check the regs
    I didn't see the post immediately before mine. I'd only heard about people fishing for kings and hadn't checked into other fishing on ER, so if the original poster didn't know about fishing ER then maybe he also didn't know about the restrictive king regs. My purpose was to help keep him from getting fined. I don't see a purpose for your comment.
    Last edited by skydiver; 04-26-2009 at 21:59. Reason: Added first sentence

no one has mentioned the "other" fishing... trout? char? i know they are there, but is it worth it?

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver View Post
    I didn't see the post immediately before mine. I'd only heard about people fishing for kings and hadn't checked into other fishing on ER, so if the original poster didn't know about fishing ER then maybe he also didn't know about the restrictive king regs. My purpose was to help keep him from getting fined. I don't see a purpose for your comment.
    Sorry man. Didn't mean to offend at all. I prolly coulda worded it different. No worries

Default I'm a 5 minute

jaunt down to the Eagle River loop bridge.
    How 'bout the trout and char fishing like muzzyman asked?
    Worth it?
    I've only been here a year and seen 1 person casting last year by the bridge without any luck.
    Still thinking about going down and casting a line if only for the practice. Lord knows I need it.
    Gotta get outta my splint 1st though. Unless the splint is an attractant. Hmmm...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast