Thread: .50 Alaskan and .457 WW mag??? have you ever seen one of these?

Default .50 Alaskan and .457 WW mag??? have you ever seen one of these?

I just ran across this website (www.wildwestguns.com) apparently its up near you guys in alaska have any of you guys ever seen people hunt with one of these things? I mean, I thought a 45/70 kicked butt but look at these two shells that are (not much) but definately LARGER than a 45/70 Talk about a "KILLER" round

Default Nope

I've heard of but never seen either caliber in a rifle or a rifle chambered for these calibers.
    The 457 WWM looks a lot like a 45-90 case to me and the 50 Alaskan looks like a 50-70 round.
    " Americans will never need the 2nd Amendment, until the government tries to take it away."

On the road of life..... Pot holes keep things interesting !

I have seen both, the 457 is kind of a gimmik, it won't really do any more than a standard hot loaded 45/70 within the limitations of the lever gun. The 50 alaskan is a bad boy with hard cast. Either one will work in a properly built rifle. Talk to steve at alaska custom guns, he has a lot of experience with the marlin lever guns in oddball calibers.

Yes I have seen them both a number of times. A friend just down the road has a 50 Alaskan Copilot and I have shot it a couple times, good gun no doubt!
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Quote Originally Posted by Thebear_78 View Post
    I have seen both, the 457 is kind of a gimmik, it won't really do any more than a standard hot loaded 45/70 within the limitations of the lever gun. The 50 alaskan is a bad boy with hard cast. Either one will work in a properly built rifle. Talk to steve at alaska custom guns, he has a lot of experience with the marlin lever guns in oddball calibers.
    What "Thebear" said!
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

If I had the time, I could give you an exact count of the folks in Alaska who have our 457, but I believe it exceeds 500 folks. Must be a lot of folks who fall for the gimmick, lol

I don't see a gimmick, I see a gun that will match hot 45-70 handloads with off the shelf ammo.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

What do you guys think of it as a hunting round? too much or dont spend the extra money and just handload 45/70 rounds (speaking of I just bought a box of hand casted 500g Bullets )

Since I bought my WWG 50 AK 2 of my friends purchased them also and another opted for the 457 WW mag. We all love our 50's and I have no report on the 457, he has not even shot it yet. He is tweaking it and he is even having a suppressor built for it as the company he works for makes them. This accessory is being added only because he can and nothing more other than perhaps testing, most every gun he owns is suppressor ready.

When I am able to save a few more dollars I plan on having a 50 AK built for my son, he loves mine and will be using it to hopefully get his first bear in a few weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by dwhunter View Post
    Since I bought my WWG 50 AK 2 of my friends purchased them also and another opted for the 457 WW mag. We all love our 50's and I have no report on the 457, he has not even shot it yet. He is tweaking it and he is even having a suppressor built for it as the company he works for makes them. This accessory is being added only because he can and nothing more other than perhaps testing, most every gun he owns is suppressor ready.

When I am able to save a few more dollars I plan on having a 50 AK built for my son, he loves mine and will be using it to hopefully get his first bear in a few weeks.
    A 50 AK Co-Pilot would be the ultimate "handy-rifle". All the forepower you could want in a convient package.
    If I was having a new gun built from scratch such as a co-pilot, the 457 WW would be a fun option, but personally I don't see enough gain over the upper end 45-70 loads to justify a re-chamber alone. As for the factory availability someone mentioned, it's probably easier to find the heavy 45-70 loads (Garrett, Buffalo Boar, Cor Bon, etc) than the 457 WW in most places.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    A 50 AK Co-Pilot would be the ultimate "handy-rifle". All the forepower you could want in a convient package.
    If I was having a new gun built from scratch such as a co-pilot, the 457 WW would be a fun option, but personally I don't see enough gain over the upper end 45-70 loads to justify a re-chamber alone. As for the factory availability someone mentioned, it's probably easier to find the heavy 45-70 loads (Garrett, Buffalo Boar, Cor Bon, etc) than the 457 WW in most places.
    I will not argue "Handy" as that is exactly what the rifle is, mine is now identical to the rifle above except mine is parkerized and has the green kevlar stock. Recoil and quick target acquisition is manageable with practice especially with the heavy hard cast bullets, I do HIGHLY suggest wearing hearing protection with every shot even when hunting as the boom is really the most brutal part of firing this rifle IMO. Many companies offer hearing protectors that reduce the heavy boom and allow for normal hearing otherwise.

If you want more than the 45-70, there are a couple of other choices. There is the 475 Reeder, which is the 45-70 blown out straight to take .475" bullets, if you are already casting in that caliber, a 440 gr hardcast @ 2000 fps makes alot of sense. I have heard of feeding problems, so it might not be as easy and straightforward as it sounds.

There is also a 475 on the 348 win (parent of 50 AK) case. I don't know if Harold Johnson ever made one, so calling it a 475 AK wouldn't quite be a fair moniker, but I have seen such a round referred to as such. Not quite sure on balistics, but I'd imagine it would best the 475 Reeder by a few hundred fps, and it would feed pretty slick if you didn't straighten out the case too much.

But, to my way of thinking, in a marlin lever gun the 45-70 loaded to its potential aka 400 gr hardcast at 2000 fps is about as good as it gets. If I wanted more, I'd step up to the various "elephant guns" in either a bolt action or double rifle.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul H View Post
    But, to my way of thinking, in a marlin lever gun the 45-70 loaded to its potential aka 400 gr hardcast at 2000 fps is about as good as it gets. If I wanted more, I'd step up to the various "elephant guns" in either a bolt action or double rifle.
    DITTO-everything that WWG does is cool-and that's mostly what your getting for your $-cool factor.

I have a unaltered Marlin 45/70 and is has never let me down.

KK

Thats good to know, i love to handload both my (dads) 45/70 and my own .460 S&W both of whice i have been told would be fine for bear