Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Pike Fishing the Alexander??

Default Pike Fishing the Alexander??

We are planning on heading down from the Deska Landing to the Alexander to fish for pike. Looking at Google Earth it is a long haul to the mouth of the Alexander. Then another long haul to the lake. I got a couple of questions:

Can I make it to the lake with a 20' sled with a 90 jet?

Do I need to go to the lake to catch pike or can I catch some in the river???

I have never been down there and want to make sure I have enough fuel.

I'm looking to do the same trip as well. If you don't mind let me add a question. Are there any good places to camp on the lake or close to it in the creek?

Typically, are there any obstacles in the creek? Log jams, trees hanging over the creek, rock gardens.... etc

Great questions WG. I heard it gets pretty skinny up by the lake, with some good sized rocks. I am hoping I don't have to go all the way to the lake to catch pike. I am figuring I will be burning 8 to 10 gallons an hour, to be on the safe side. I will need to turn my boat into a floating gas tank.

Ditto on the floating gas tank. With my 350FI I expect to burn 9-10 gph if I'm conservative with the gas pedal, running 3400rpm roughly 25mph most of the trip. I burned almost 60 gallons of fuel on an all day Flathorn trip but the wind was head on most of the day and I was running way above cruise %75 of the time. Airboats and head winds do not mix.

I Google earthed the entire creek and lake today. looks as if there is an abundance of lilly pads around the edge of the lake. I expect weedless hooks and top water wigglers will be the way to go. Hopefully I can get some hooligan in May to freeze and use as bait.

We are looking at the first weekend in June. Let us know how it goes.

Chugiak, Alaska, United States, United States

theres pike in all the sloughs of alexander creek. i took my sportjon quite a ways up a few years back. never made it to the lake (some wanted to turn back). there was a small snag over one part of the river i hopped over no problem. the river did narrow up a bit but it wasnt a problem. it is a long ways up there we must have headed up for an 45 minutes to an hour and still didnt make it from what i remember.

How many miles do you think this trip is?

Hello,

I floated the river a few years ago. Fishing for pike in the lake is awsome but floating the river is a little bit boaring. Only small pikes an slow current.

Best regards from Germany

Markus

I think a float plane might be cheaper
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    I think a float plane might be cheaper
    akpMonkey saves the day again.......so let's put our boats away and hire a pilot to fly us out there......lol
    ------------------------------------------------
    pull my finger....

Default whew!!

i just scaled it out on google earth. ( seems like it took as long as it would to get there ) 42 miles is what i came up with from the mouth of alexander creek. add on the 30 or so miles to get to the mouth of the creek its a long jaunt. i would add another 5 miles or so for cutting corners on google earth. so i was running for maybe an hour and probably averaging 20mph i am guessing i was only about halfway there. how many people are splitting cost and what are you planning on burning per hour?

In anything longer than an 18' jon boat with a small outboard you're in for a very long and expensive day. It'll be a very long day no matter what. APM probably gave the best advice that can be had.

Default oops

i didnt see you planned on 8 to ten gall an hour. so say 20mph average puts you at 4 hours each way so 80 gallons of gas round trip. if gas is 4.00 per gall it puts you at 320.00 dollars for fuel round trip. little over a hundred bucks per person if you bring a couple buddies which i would recommend to help push if need be . not for everyone but id pay 200.00 for a trip like that ( food, launch, parking ). of course im a do it yourself kinda guy and have payed way more to take my own boat to montegue to go halibut fishing. and yes i know its cheaper to buy halibut at the store . not sure how much you can haul but if you can do it you should. or you can take some peoples advice and go for cheap. heck its probably cheaper yet to rent a canoe from tippecanoe and hike into red shirt.
    if you go, go for a couple days so you arent too rushed. if you flew in im not aware of a boat you could rent?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    APM probably gave the best advice that can be had.
    You're kidding right Pid?...

The questions were:

1. Can a 20' sled make it?
    2. Can you catch pike in the creek itself?

Monkey's comments are just stupid.....

Here's your answers Yukon:

1. YES
    2. NO

RiverRat has some pretty close estimates on distances...You can do the math to figure out how much fuel you'll need to carry....The boat ride up there should be worth the trip, the pike will be a bonus....Maybe we'll see ya up there...
    pull my finger....

Kidding? Nope. But then, I've actually been there.

You have a nice ride.

And the correct answers are....
    Yes, but why bother, and
    yes, but why bother?

True story.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Pid View Post
    And the correct answers are....
    Yes, but why bother, and
    yes, but why bother?
    you are correct. there are pike in the creek...I mis typed his question...he asked if you HAD to go to the lake to catch pike....that's why I said NO to #2.....my bad...

Why bother?...the ride is half of the fun.......that's why I have a boat anyways....
    pull my finger....

This is not about how much gas we will burn or how long it will take. This is about planning a memorable trip.

tjm, I get the feeling someone is trying to keep people away from their secret pike fishing lake.

Ha! Not at all. I more than most would like to see every Pike in the system killed off. Rutz wouldn't have that excuse to hide behind! My comment revolved around APM's advice to fly in, which is excellent advice. But what would I know. I mean having done it and all. I'll step back and let you guys who've never made the trip continue to dispense your expert advice.

Please provide feedback afterwards.

how does flying into a lake have anything to do with wanting to plan a boat ride?.....lol....there are other ways into Alexander other than plane or up the creek but we aren't discussing those....why?...because the question was about if a boat could make it...lol....

besides, can 4 guys fly to the lake for less than $200?...because I can get my boat/4 guys/gear there for that....lol....
    pull my finger....

Quote Originally Posted by tjm View Post

besides, can 4 guys fly to the lake for less than $200?...because I can get my boat/4 guys/gear there for that....lol....

If you need another guy to come along and help defray the costs, I'm yer bizatch....<grin>
    “Life has become immeasurably better since I have been forced to stop taking it seriously.” ― H.S.T.
    "Character is how you treat those who can do nothing for you."

Quote Originally Posted by AlaskaHippie View Post
    If you need another guy to come along and help defray the costs, I'm yer bizatch....<grin>
    why would you want to do that?, Pid said not to bother...lol...
    pull my finger....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast