Thread: Quartz Creek

Default Quartz Creek

I'm headed down to fish at Coopers Landing this weekend to shake of some cabin fever and was wondering if Quartz Creek would be worth a try. I'm new to the area and have fished Quartz Creek last fall with a lot of success. How does it fish in April? Thank you

Smile Fishing Quartz Creek

Quartz Creek is pretty much devoid of any fish at this time of year. I've tried it several times over the years with no hookups at all. The dolly varden are out in Kenai Lake. They say that sometimes you can catch a few dolly's where Quartz dumps into Kenai Lake at the campground but I have never had any luck there either. If it's a nice day and you just want to get the cobwebs out I'd say going down to the confluence of Quartz and the lake would be a better use of your time. If you want to possibly catch a bow or dolly best bet would be by the bridge either upstream or downstream, but there's not going to be much action at all. Just to be out fishing after a long winter is nine tenths of the fun and if you do catch a trout then it's just iceing on the cake so to speak. But get out and have fun trying to find that rare loner trout that's lurking in some hole along the river or creek. One never knows........

Quote Originally Posted by FLYfishin View Post
    I'm headed down to fish at Coopers Landing this weekend to shake of some cabin fever and was wondering if Quartz Creek would be worth a try. I'm new to the area and have fished Quartz Creek last fall with a lot of success. How does it fish in April? Thank you
    Quartz Creek is pretty much devoid of any fish at this time of year. I've tried it several times over the years with no hookups at all. The dolly varden are out in Kenai Lake. They say that sometimes you can catch a few dolly's where Quartz dumps into Kenai Lake at the campground but I have never had any luck there either. If it's a nice day and you just want to get the cobwebs out I'd say going down to the confluence of Quartz and the lake would be a better use of your time. If you want to possibly catch a bow or dolly best bet would be by the bridge either upstream or downstream, but there's not going to be much action at all. Just to be out fishing after a long winter is nine tenths of the fun and if you do catch a trout then it's just iceing on the cake so to speak. But get out and have fun trying to find that rare loner trout that's lurking in some hole along the river or creek. One never knows........

I have never fished it this early. I do and have caught fish right after it opens up in june. As long as the water is not blown up. Like was said in the last post. Get on down and give it a try. Beats sitting in the house and hey no traffic this time of the year. Oh and be sure to give us a report too please. Good luck
    Grandkids, Making big tough guys hearts melt at first sight