Thread: Boat Shopping, What To Do?

Default Boat Shopping, What To Do?

Man am I in a pickle. My wife okay'd my purchasing of a boat as long as I put out the cigarettes for good and I'm really considering it. I've looked at a 16' C-Dory but I don't want to limit myself to purchasing the first thing I see. I have the goals in mind; I'm looking at a boat I can take on the lower Kenai to do dipnetting and also king/silver fishing. I also am going to be very unoriginal and use it for Deep Creek chickens - I might take out of Whittier or Seward on rare occassion; what should I get? Any recommendations on new vs. used? I know I need the 40H 4-stroke but I'd like a little cabin area for my girls.
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default cigarettes first...

Your wife and girls will love you for that, and a lot longer too! I quit on May 17 of this last year. Almost one year. It is tough and you will be tested along the way. I used a perscription drug called Chantix. It is a weird drug and you WILL have some strange and vivid dreams with this stuff.
    Now the boat...that is simpler. There are lots of choices. A 16 footer is probably OK for dipping... but not much room for more than 2 people to fish off the back of the boat. I have a 21 foot and it is perfect for three to four to fish and has a nice little V berth and enclosed cabin area.

Sounds like a 18-20 foot aluminum boat like a hewescraft would be a good choice. Lots of these on the used market, most with canvas tops. You can have a 50 and be kenai legal too.

One thing I like about the Aluminums above anything is the ability to put it on the beach. Little kids like to get out and explore once in awhile.

I would look for a good used boat. If you find the boat you like it would probably be worth having a mechanic look at it.

The cool thing about buying a used boat is well of course the savings on the boat itself, but often they will have everything you need to get started like safety gear, anchor, radio, ect. Those things add up big time when bought new.

Default Thanks

Great advice Rimfire; I've had a couple of small boats before but I'm needing to accomodate family now instead of myself and a couple of buddies...

After considering your response I think I'm going to see what $20k will get me along the lines of an aluminum skiff. Craigslist here I come!
    "He who is slow to anger is better than the mighty, and he who rules his spirit is better than he who takes a city." ~ Proverbs 16:32

Default 18ft Hewescraft - your best bet

I used to have an 18 ft Hewescraft Searunner and it worked great for what your trying to do. I will say that once you hit the salt and find everything you can get in the river plus MORE - IMHO you will never go back to the wild boat bumper fishing like the Kenai river. I would NOT consider anything less than 18ft though. Be careful - and always check the weather forecast before going out.

Something simular to this - only 18 ft
    http://anchorage.craigslist.org/boa/1116427270.html

Happy Boating
    How stupid is it to be wasting tons of salmon and halibut as bycatch in the Bering Sea and then have the coastal villages hollaring they have no food? It's got to stop!

Default Thanks!

Fishnut; you're a man among men - I just contacted Dewey's and hopefully we'll get something going.

Another vote for Chantix. I quit after 50 yrs with it with no problems. It does have some side effects you have to be aware of though. Good luck
    When seconds count, the cops are just minutes away.
    '08 24' HCM Granite HD "River Dog"

Default Okay... Chantix it is.

Thanks for the suggestions and recommendations; I'm going to give the Chantix solution a whirl. AND I'll let you nice fellas know when I make my purchase and what it is.