Thread: Whittier docks

Default Whittier docks

Had a hair in my butt to maybe head to Whittier to fish a little aslt off the piers. Any advice? What to use? Never done this before
    Alaska: We're all here cuz we're not all "there"

wake up early to make the train to whittier, because you sure won't be able to drive there.

Forgot about the rock slide, scratch that idea........

unfortunately its still in the back of my mind :S

What would one use though if one were to fish there?

Thumbs up Fish off shoreline!

My nephew has won the Salmon Derby 2 years just fishing from the big rock along the shore line. Its about halfway between the harbor and the tunnel. You need to be in good shape to get up and down. He fills our freezers from there every year. Polarized lens are a must to see the fish. He waits for them to swim close before throwing his line in. He uses lures and snag hooks. It is OK to use snagging hooks in the Whittier Area, except in the Harbor itself. We are a terminal havest area. Just make sure you are in saltwater and not the fresh water of the streams follow the tides in and out and you will be fine. This time of year there is a few early kings but you have to patient and keep looking in the water to spot them. No sense in throwing a line out unless you have a visual on one. The best time to fish along the shore is when the silvers come. Happy fishing

Default tommy cod

When I couldn`t get out of the harbor(weather) and the boat on slip--we would break out the freshwater ultralights and just wear out the baby cod fish. Kids would be thrilled, they learned alot about catch and release, and then the silvers came in later in the season and the real tackle came out!