Thread: My home made freight sled

Default My home made freight sled

Made this out of aluminum for lightness. The A-arms are from a 96 Arctic Cat ZRT. I had to make my own blukhead. It was tuff to get the geometry down for the travel of the A-arms. I use it going to my cabin. I was tired of breaking stuff while using my flat bottom sleds (otter and a home made UHMW freight sled). I to designed it to haul two coolers and three 5 gallon gas jugs. The front box can hold small 1 to 1 and a half gallon gas jugs or just extra gear. Im going to put wider ski's on next year.

I haven't broke one bottle or can of beer. Can go up to 40 to 35 MPH over stutter bumps.

Mike
    Attached Images Attached Images

Couple more pictures.

VERY cool trailer; is there a way to put wheels on it so you can pull it year round?

Good idea, a sled for Beer.....The Lord knows that would be SWEET!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Just HAD to show us your new 800 summit....

I have been thinking about rigging some sort of axle through the spindle hole. Just haven't tried it yet. With my 6-wheeler I haven't had to haul a trailer while going to the cabin. Just put the gear in the bed. My girlfriend might like to tow a trailer someday with her Arctic Cat. Mayby this summer on a rainy day I'll try it out.

Strangerinastrangeland: Can't waste the beer!

I love my summit. I have had trouble with belts, carb boots but mainly the machine is strong in the chassie and motor.

It climbs like a mountain goat on cocain! Alot nicer ride than my 96 skandic wide track.

I also wanted to show you guys a picture of the trailer hooked up to a machine level.

Mike

That looks like great work.

Heck of a great sled, you could market that I bet! Great workmanship!!

Why wider skis, wants to ride too deep? I would think longer would be better than wider, so the flat part of the ski is a bit longer than the bed maybe. You could get another set of skis and weld them but to but at the correct length so you get a turn up at both ends.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Well I been out at my cabin in Petersville when it dump two to three feet and the trailer would sink out of site when I would slow down. Taking off I couldn't get it up to plane out (get on step). Ski's would sink. The ski's are from a Firecat snow pro. I did find some 9" wide ski skins that I would like to try. I belive the sno pro ski's are little more than four inches wide.

Here are some pictures of the first go around with suspension on a steel chassie. As you can see I went a different route. I think it turned out better. Belive it or not that steel chassie (not finshed) weighed dam neer the same as the finished aluminum trailer. I tried to make the aluminum trailer as strong as the steel one. The hitch is steel and there is a 2x2 square tubbing inside the aluminum tounge that goes the length of the trailer. I then isolated the steel from the aluminum and bolted the steel inside the aluminum with grade 8 bolts. Just in case my welds break or the aluminum starts to crack, the steel will still hold everything together and get my trailer and I home.

Mike

Thanks for all the nice comments.

I see your problem withthe skis.
    When i build sled, the runners are as wide as the skis on my rig. That way they ride in a compacted "trail" made by my skis and do not sink in as easily.

the freight sled in my post is way wider than my skis as I plan to haule sheets of plywood with it,4X8, and they fit snigly in the bed. Plywood is a pain to tie down and haule 100 miles, and I get that "sinking feeling" more often with the runners out of ski width, so i understand that very well.

Good job, regardless!!

Me LIKE!
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Thatís a good point too, looks like it cuts right between the track and skis of the machine cutting fresh snow. Wider skis will turn better than longer, but longer will pull a lot better and give the same float. Lots of good ideas I got to keep in mind now.
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

Yea this sled was built just to haul food, gas and beer. May-be wine for the woman! I did make a freight sled for hauling beams and plywood. Its basiclly a 4x8 sheet of UHMW with 4 x 8 beams down the side. It compacks fresh snow trails really nice. It has hickory runners and a metal hitch. I built the hitch by bending a 1 pipe. I have the one inch pipe (sch40) going through a inch and quater pipe. Thats my pivot point. It has hauled a lot of wood. I remember one load that I had 60 2 x 6 x 10 boards and a couple sheats of 4 x 8 x 3/4 plywood ond top. Ill try to find pic's of that.

Another picture.

Couple more.

That should last a lifetime! Looks great also. What did you skin the bottom with?
    Andy
    On the web= C-lazy-F.co
    Email= Andy@C-lazy-F.co
    Call/Text 602-315-2406
    Phoenix Arizona

3/16 UHMW. Its suppose to reject UV rays even though it's black. So far it has. My hickory runners have worn down to just about nothing. Going to replace them with UHMW runners.

Great how-to on both sleds, man I lust after your shop. Sold out to move to the valley now can't wait to start collecting all over again. Thanks for the post.

George