Thread: How much fire is too much?

Default How much fire is too much?

Whenever I go out hunting, or backcountry camping, the one thing that I bring is alot of flame. For instance, I'm leaving for a 3 day Black Bear hunt and I'm bringing 3 lighters, waterproof matches, and a magnesium starter. People may think that is overkill, but I think it is one of the most important survival tools that I can use. Fire for warmth. Fire for cooking. Fire for signal. Fire for drying stuff out...etc... Does anybody else carry this much flame on their backcountry trips... ? or am i being especially anal?
    Johnny

Sounds good to me; don't forget the firestarter sticks, triple-bagged, with silica gel thrown in for good measure. I've started many a fire in a downpour or sleet storm, even with sopping wet wood, with those babies.

Quote Originally Posted by skydiver_99654 View Post
    Whenever I go out hunting, or backcountry camping, the one thing that I bring is alot of flame. For instance, I'm leaving for a 3 day Black Bear hunt and I'm bringing 3 lighters, waterproof matches, and a magnesium starter. People may think that is overkill, but I think it is one of the most important survival tools that I can use. Fire for warmth. Fire for cooking. Fire for signal. Fire for drying stuff out...etc... Does anybody else carry this much flame on their backcountry trips... ? or am i being especially anal?
    Johnny
    I agree that having the ability to make a fire is essential. I no longer carry matches or lighters though. To much can go wrong with them. All I ever carry is a magnesium starter and a few of these http://firesteel.com/ I have also been trying to "master" primitive fire making skills such as the bow and drill method, etc. Since leaving the lighters and matches at home my fire making skills have increased dramatically and I feel confident in my ability to make a fire in any situation and condition. I posted a fire making lab http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42415 that I did for a class and took the advice of others of having a roll of toilet paper soaked in gasoline vacuum sealed and put into my emergency kit for the ultimate need for a quick fire.

I carry about the same as you skydiver. But I also cary the military meal heaters. They come vac sealed in a green meatal foil pack. It has a 1"x1"x3/8" purple tablet inside. Light it and it will burn for 15 minutes and hot enough to light wet wood. I have only used it once when cold and wet, after fliping my canoe in the river, and it worked wonderfuly. I have used it on other occasions and it worked then too, it just was not an emergency.
    It ain't about the # of pounds of meat we bring back, nor about how much we spent to go do it. Its about seeing what no one else sees.

http://wouldieatitagainfoodblog.blogspot.com/

Having 3 or more ways to get a fire going is a great idea. I see no down side in doing so. All this stuff packs pretty small also, not like you are carrying fire logs or something. You know the old saying, "You don't need it till you do". I would be sure to carry at least one item that will allow you to start a fire with one hand. The Blastmatch from Survival Inc is an example. If you are injured, it would be pretty hard to use magnesium or flints. Something to consider. When it comes to ways to start fire, I say more is better. Keeping something on your person at all times if by water is a good idea for sure.
    The two loudest sounds known to man: a gun that goes bang when it is supposed to go click and a gun that goes click when it is supposed to go bang.

Quote Originally Posted by windswept View Post
    I agree that having the ability to make a fire is essential. I no longer carry matches or lighters though. To much can go wrong with them. All I ever carry is a magnesium starter and a few of these http://firesteel.com/ I have also been trying to "master" primitive fire making skills such as the bow and drill method, etc. Since leaving the lighters and matches at home my fire making skills have increased dramatically and I feel confident in my ability to make a fire in any situation and condition. I posted a fire making lab http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ad.php?t=42415 that I did for a class and took the advice of others of having a roll of toilet paper soaked in gasoline vacuum sealed and put into my emergency kit for the ultimate need for a quick fire.
    Gee, I carry the same as you only soaked in kerosene...it will burn for almost an hr however when I posted that I was critisized (sp) alot lol. I still carry it tho when I am out on the trapline alone.

You can never have too many fire starters.

I also have used the toilet paper roll trick, but it is soaked in alcohol. Used to carry one in a coffee can while duck hunting in high school. Would keep me warm with little to no flame to be seen.
    Just a bitter Alaskan clinging to his guns and religion.....

I carry lighters and matches but also a candle (much easier to use a candle to light something rather than burn your fingers with a match, and the candle lights instantly). I also carry Sterno cans and those flammable sticks in a ziplock bag. A roadflare will start a fire too, in an emergency.
    "If snowmachiners would adopt the habits of riding one at a time and not parking at the base of avalanche prone slopes, the number of fatalities would likely be whittled by at least a third, if not by half." ~ Jill Fredston, in the book Snowstruck, In The Grip Of Avalanches.

Talking Fire starters...

I've been hunting and gotten so cold I could barely strike a match.No way could I rely on a mag rod.I since have perfected a few things.I carry laquer chunks obtained from a door pre-finish shop, and also fir pitch chunks,and a small 2x3 bone dry cedar chunk.I tried the road flare trick on a float on the Hoho on a drizzly day.Never again have I packed a flare.One think I do not do is let myself get so cold that I would have problems.Build the fire before I get so cold.GR

Quote Originally Posted by Rovingarcher View Post
    I tried the road flare trick on a float on the Hoho on a drizzly day.Never again have I packed a flare.

What was wrong with the flare???

L.W.

Talking What was wrong with the flare...

Well, I'm sure had I thrown the flare out my truck window here in Washington on a hot August day...it would have took right off,but my expectations with a flare were that with a little dry tinder it would take right off,but guess with the dampness of the birch, it didn't happen.I did however get alot of smoke and a pretty flame to look at while I stood there shaking getting ready for plan B.Under the perfect conditions, I would have been able to gather a few dead lower spruce branches, and had a fire in seconds,but with only damp birch,even after getting the fire going, it produced more smoke than heat.Must have produced some heat though, as those grayling were outstanding!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i like that paste... come in a tooth paste like tube. and a dab will do ya.i used 2 tubes last year.. over about 5 months of field travel.. stuff worked great. walllly mart and other stores like that for about 2 bucks a tube...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here